Man buys Honda F1 Car for £37,000....

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
Saw this on Planet F1

From F1Technical.net forums - guy buys a Honda RA107 (minus an engine) and attempts to rebuild it in his home garage.

68ypnc.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Honda K20 - VTAC YOOOOOOOO :laughing:

Bound to be just a shell, will need all running gear and everything. Cool kit car project I guess :p

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
LOL @ photo ............ that's bizarre. "What have you got in your garage?" ..."Oh, only a motorbike, usual tools, my TVR ............... and an F1 car."

Fair play to him, not many people have the balls - or opportunity - to buy an F1 car with a view to putting a new engine in it.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Is it? Only glanced at the photo and thought it was a Cerbera, looks like the side profile of one.

pablo

RMS Moderator
read the whole thread there, that car could cost him easily 80-100k in the end. He is budgeting 40 on top to get it running and Id say thats optimistic. The challenge of finding a suitable engine and mating it to the gearbox in the car is massive, then he has no electronics or hydraulics to run the box. Putting in a different box will mess up the chassis dimensions.

Dont think its the bargain people think.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
I'd be happy enough having it sitting there not running lol, my life expectancy would also be greatly increased

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Dont think its the bargain people think.

Understatement of the day there pablo!!

I read most of it there too, getting an engine with the structural ability to hold the car together and mating that to a suitable box is the problem. It really needs the original engine and box to be anywhere near the actual F1 car. It will take proper engineering ability to get that car to even sound like a F1 car again nevermind drive like one.

It would still be brilliant fun to work on and a hell of a project if you had that much spare cash laying around (y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
would need some sort of crazy busa engine maybe, plus a frame to give the rigidity to the chassis. Would be like sticking a K series in a 911 tho maybe :oops:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
would need some sort of crazy busa engine maybe, plus a frame to give the rigidity to the chassis. Would be like sticking a K series in a 911 tho maybe

A motorbike engine and a few scaffolding poles might be doing things a bit too cheap, considering he spent 37k on the chassis lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I guess he could turn it into a formula masters or a libre car... People (with money) do these things...

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Anything other than a proper F1 engine is ghey.

We bought the car at a Bonhams auction which was held 6th December at Mercedes World, Brooklands, hence the Merc dealer signs. With regards to price, anyone can look up the sales results, so I might aswell let you know that it cost me £37K. We put in the max bid we could possibly afford, and to our great surprice we actually got the car! Perhaps because it was the only modern car in a classic car sale, wasen't publicised very well, and perhaps didn't attract enough possible buyers.

Perhaps nobody else was stupid enough to buy it (y)

CarbonKa

RMS Regular
Drives
potential moneyp
Ford DFV v8 F1 engines are readily available (apparently....) as they're pretty much the default engine of the FIA classic F1 Championship. How much they cost and how the hell you go about ordering one, i'll never know.....

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.