Classic Car Registration - Applying for V5C with Original Green NI Taxbook.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Ive a classic car that i want to register into my name, i have the original Old Green NI Taxbook.

Swansea have no records of the car on their system.

Has anyone recently done this? or how do i go about applying for a modern V5C for this car.

Thanks.

Last edited:

RoniN

RMS Regular
Done this many times and have 2 to do this week.

Print the V62 Form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/360103/V62_220714.pdf

Fill in all the details

Part 1 Vehicle details

Part 2 Your details as the new keeper.

Part 3 on the V62 "Why don't you have a V5C"
X I cannot produce it for another reason. (give details below)
Write see covering letter. Attach a covering letter explaining you have the old green NI taxbook and you have been given the car to restore or whatever and you would like to get a new V5C in your name as the owner.

Part 4 Send them £25 fee.

Part 5 Sign and date it

Swansea will contact Coleraine as the records will be in the archives and send a letter to the last registered keeper, if the last keeper doesn't reply within 2 weeks claiming the vehicle they will send you the new V5C in your name.
I always send a V890 to SORN the vehicle at the same time to avoid getting the automatic fine for a vehicle not taxed or sorned.

On the odd occasion they might send you another form requiring more details, fill it in and send some photos of chassis no. and so on.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
@RoniN should I send a photocopy of the green taxbook with the covering letter?

RoniN

RMS Regular
I have never done that but it will all help. No harm sending a photocopy.
Don't send the old green taxbook as you won't get it back, I always keep it for the history of the vehicle.

Cheers

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Yes perfect. Thank you, will get forms printed off tomorrow.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Bloody hell, RMS really is a wealth of knowledge.

IL would have had a bar drank dry trying to google the answer to this thread lol

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Bloody hell, RMS really is a wealth of knowledge.

IL would have had a bar drank dry trying to google the answer to this thread lol

Well calling clueless swansea didn't give much satisfaction!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
In theory it is the right answer, but in practice, cars that haven't made it to Swansea and haven't been sorned here so were not currently "active" are very hard to get sorted. Currently 3 months in to trying to get a car registered that's been off the road since 1990.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
In theory it is the right answer, but in practice, cars that haven't made it to Swansea and haven't been sorned here so were not currently "active" are very hard to get sorted. Currently 3 months in to trying to get a car registered that's been off the road since 1990.

Yet to have any issues, and some of the cars and bikes we resurrect haven't been on the road or system since the 60's.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I sent the old green book off for a car that's been off the road since the 80s and they just sent it back to me telling me they couldn't issue me a new V5. I don't need it right now anyway so I haven't fought with them over it yet.

Reactions: IL

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I have done a few since Swansea took over, all bar 1 has went OK, tell me they have no records of the car on their system.

Any that I had the green book for I sent it along with the application and asked them to send it back, and they did. Saves the £25 as well.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Swansea have told me that they have no record of the car on their system Also :worried: I'll just have to give it a go and see!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
That's the same reply I've had. Don't forget about all those cars they lost in the swap over, a mere 4% they said... some of them taxed and all...

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The one I got the no record reply has a nice reg, but they are giving me the option of registering the car from scratch. Haven't looked into it too much as I am in no panic, but if I go down that route will that mean I loose the reg?

Strange bit is I HPi'd the details after I got the letter back and it all checks out OK, I thought HPi got their details from DVLA?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I can locate the details on a vehicle checker too! It's on those systems.

Nice plate on this car and one that has been in the family for 20yrs so the plate is it's identity to me, if I was to register it new or even age related I may as well have started with a better shell and saved myself money!!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Same boat as you both.
Original NI car with original reg, its not my fault they can't keep track of their paperwork.
Next card to play is a letter telling them off for losing track of the cars and demanding they sort it out. If HPI can find it, it clearly exists.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Well. After 2months and abit off giving off my v5 has arrived including the original cherished number.

They told me that the car didn't exist, I called the mot centre to try and book an mot and the car was on their system. I Rang Swansea and asked if the car didn't exist how come I can book an mot? They called me back 2hours later to say that the documents for the car that didn't exist had been found and they would issue a v5. Result.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Awesome Iain, I'm sure you are over the moon.

I got an old plate of dads back into circulation a couple of years ago after he deliberated over it for 30+ years!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Yes I'm really pleased Ian, if the shell lost its identity with the plate then I may as well have started with any shell!

What plate did you get back Ian?