Focus RS

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Cheers dude, apologies for being rude if you were standing near the RS and I never said Hi etc, didnt realise it was your RS.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Cheers dude, apologies for being rude if you were standing near the RS and I never said Hi etc, didnt realise it was your RS.

Dont worry, I believe we did the man acknowledgement nod when I got out and you where sitting in the car. Lol.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
The car turned 17k yesterday, and has been getting its fair use the past week. Will need a set of rear pads as the current ones broke up after those few days of frost, so have ordered a set of ferodo ds2500's just waiting on them coming into stock. Also, fitted bonnet rams a while back rather than use the bonnet stay.

Here are a few photos taken from the weekend. Credit to @warren @Mark King and @Michael M
IMG_4258.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG

Was good to finally get all three colours together. Short term future plan is to get the English reg off but trying to find a suitable plate I like and is affordable is difficult.

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
i always wanted to own an rs as i think they are one of the best looking cars around. i went to look at one in pat kirk omagh in june this year. white lux pack 1. first thoughts were, yes this is the one. it was mint inside and out and i had the whole car almost viewed, when i got to the back wheel arch on the passenger side and saw rust between the wheel arch and bumper. a 20 grand 6 year old car should not have rust so i left the building really annoyed and went and bought the e92 m3 instead.

that said this car looks really mint and best of luck with it mate. looks hard as nails!

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
i always wanted to own an rs as i think they are one of the best looking cars around. i went to look at one in pat kirk omagh in june this year. white lux pack 1. first thoughts were, yes this is the one. it was mint inside and out and i had the whole car almost viewed, when i got to the back wheel arch on the passenger side and saw rust between the wheel arch and bumper. a 20 grand 6 year old car should not have rust so i left the building really annoyed and went and bought the e92 m3 instead.

that said this car looks really mint and best of luck with it mate. looks hard as nails!
They all rust there. Well apart from the green ones @collyirwin11 :party:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi

Thanks (y) mine is the same, it unfortunately will require them done as the inner edge has bubbles. Will get the winter out of the way and then tackle it. They are a fantastic package, and I would agree with @Mark King the green is the one to get. When you see the colour in person it looks better than any photo. Ask @Paul RS he likes to tell me that the blue blends in and nobody can see it. Lol

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
no rs for me then. i will stick with the bm's. i cant cope with rust on a newish car. pity as they are one of the best looking cars on the market.

ph11mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
SQ7/ftype v8
I very rarely drove mine in the rain , and still all the black painted bits underneath still have bits of rust on them ,they need put on a ramp and painted properly
arches are common area on them

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Stunning example and seeing this at the weekend just confirmed that I really do want an RS next. Damn!lol Nice to get chatting to you too @collyirwin11

Thanks. Yes same to you (y) was good to stick a name to the face. You are welcome to come look round it properly some day. Also, the fella I work with has a Cooper S.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
They do not all rust on the rear arches. That's a ludicrous thing to say. I wouldn't classify a Mk2 RS with rusty rear arches as a good car.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
They do not all rust on the rear arches. That's a ludicrous thing to say. I wouldn't classify a Mk2 RS with rusty rear arches as a good car.

Hardly ludicrous when its the most common problem with them! Yes, if its been dry stored and never seen a wet road you may be right, but they will go there! We arent talking arches hanging out of them here, simply showing signs!

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Hardly ludicrous when its the most common problem with them! Yes, if its been dry stored and never seen a wet road you may be right, but they will go there! We arent talking arches hanging out of them here, simply showing signs!

Yes I am aware that some cars do rust there, im sorry if I caused any offence. I've owned a couple of them and looked at my fair share; as I say, I wouldn't buy one with rusty arches but that is just what I classify as a good car.

Neither of mine were dry stored and seen plenty of wet roads. It seems to be a common problem with cars that have lived in coastal areas.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
It's more of a rear bumper fitment issue that's prevalent in them and if the original metal clips aren't changed and bumper adjusted then it's considered a case of 'when' it will happen and not 'if' for the majority of them unfortunately.

When the rust shows it's not like a normal rusty arch and can be missed even by those looking for it. It'll take a trained eye specifically looking for the problem to find it in its early stages.

I wouldn't let it put me off buying one at all, I would just factor in the work to prevent it from happening or to put it right (if it's in the early stages).

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Thanks. Yes same to you (y) was good to stick a name to the face. You are welcome to come look round it properly some day. Also, the fella I work with has a Cooper S.

Might take you up on that offer. Don't think I've ever even sat in an RS! Cool, let me know if he needs anything.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Love this car so much. Also loved your ST to. The missus has been looking a white facelift ST with only 27k miles. Again has the dreaded rear arch/bumper rust due to bad bumper alignment. She's still looking about, but Ford have said they would sort it if she was still interested. She's a bit unsure, I wouldn't want them to just blow it in and not rectify the problem as to why it's happening in the first place (bumper alignment) so we will see how things progress. It drove lovely all the same and as it's the ST3 has good spec to.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
You did, up getting some lunch and got a handy space out the front. Thanks

gsmith

RMS Regular
Nearly every one I've seen has some sort of bubble on the arches same as the mk2 st it's a common problem with them. The st and Rs owners club would scare you at just how many go. I know someone who had A low mileage one that had to have one of the arches repaired and painted didn't make it any less of a good car he owned it from new the bumper rubs on the arch maybe the ones you have seen have been painted. (y)