DAB - Is it any good in NI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
As per title, is it worth buying a dab radio if changing a standard head unit. Must have iphone connection and hands free/bluetooth for the phone. Any experiences with single din units would be appreciated.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
When are they switching traditional radio off? That's the bit i'd buy around

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I've had dab for years in my cars and have never been too impressed by it plus there's the nuisance of a different aerial. Overall, quality of dab is quite poor in terms of low bitrate. I'm more interested in Bluetooth streaming capabilities from my phone tbh.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Wee bro has it in his focus and says it only works from Belfast to portadown then out in the armagh stix it's back to fm.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Mine doesn't work around banbridge, newry, gilford or tandragee, other than that it's just great!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I have a couple of DAB radios in my house and they rubbish. Thank god for the FM option!

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I had a dab radio in the jag, never failed to pick up the usual stuff anywhere from Strabane to Bangor.

I guess the aftermarket ones mustn't be much use if this is the general verdict above

colin84

RMS Regular
So are they going to be changing to DAB only like they did with the TV signal?

I like the idea of DAB if it was as good as they make it out to be, which I doubt it wil.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I have it and its a great job. There have only been a couple of brief times where it drops the signal, but automatically switches to analogue.

FAR better than an old pioneer I had years ago!

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
DAB is awesome purely for Team Rock Radio :laughing:

Friend of mine got it put into his Vectra, lost signal with the windscreen mounted ariel then changed to an outside mounted one and says it's much, much better

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
My F30 is the first car i've had which has it. I think its brilliant as its either on or off no interferance and signal is perfect on my drive from Strangford to Belfast everyday

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Digital radio switchover hasnt been confirmed yet, but is targeted for end 2015 according to Which

HWW

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta, Mini
Audio Advice said they won't be turning off analogue till at least 2020 due to being behind schedule on the coverage of DAB. Areas of North Down has no DAB signal.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Pretty good coverage in the car everywhere along the North Coast right down the main roads to Belfast, Ballymena seems to have a dead spot though.

MYCFB

RMS Regular
I've got one in the north west and being in the car a lot I don't know how I'd live without DAB in the car, the audio is far better in sound quality compared to FM and it's well known there isn't a great selection of radio stations in the NW so it's a great addition to my car

tim119

have a dab radio i got from halfords in my old car. just changed to a new motor and it does not have one in it. i feel lost without it.

now i have no bbc radio 6 or talksport. i had 30 channels on it. thought it was a great job. can pick up lots of stations along the antrim coast.

radio 5 live was great quality too. cant recommend enough. tho im not sure about different areas reception.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
I have it in the Audi. I couldn't live without it. Kiss FM is so good on a sat night. Great station. I never have any probs with signal and I'm all over the north all the time.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
First thing I look for when I go out in a different car

Capital xtra and kiss fm are far better than any stations over here which just play the same pish songs over and over all day.

Ant

RMS Regular
I just use TuneIn radio on my phone through the bluetooth on the stereo to get 5Live and TodayFM, makes life easier with the pish reception in glengormley

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
First thing I look for when I go out in a different car

Capital xtra and kiss fm are far better than any stations over here which just play the same pish songs over and over all day.

The first thing I do each week in the hire car Scotland is save presets on the radio. I discovered Capital Xtra ages ago but never noticed it over here. It was only last weekend I had another look for it and found it in my car (y).

I pretty much just flick between 1xtra, Capital Xtra and Kiss.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Radio in the UK is absolutely abysmal. I think the only station I can tolerate is Kerrang! FM - everything else is just terrible! The US seems to have it sorted; think of a genre and there'll be a station playing that type of music, in range and available to play there and then.

Are there any stations that play just music on DAB?

I still don't understand who actually wants to listen to competitions, call-in's, shout-outs, prank phone calls, interviews with celebrity plonkers, etc on some stations. Ruins my happiness.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.