Stretch tyres are now a reason for MOT rejection

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
1779175_300731796749529_3460694024967194765_n.jpg

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
OP
NI_Volvo_Nut
Drives
Volvo's!
The 90 degree thing....

Breadth of tread

The part of the tyre which can contact the road under normal conditions of use measured at
90 degrees to the peripheral line of the tread.

Reasons for rejection....

d. A tyre incorrectly seated on the wheel rim,

EP2

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R FN2
I got stopped about by the police when they where dipping on Wednesday and the cop went round my whole car and came back and said that someone had fitted "euro tires" lol. I asked him they where illegal and he said no, theyre just unsafe and let me on my way.

Id say theyre gonna start clamping down alot now though, more money for them now!

Mine arent even that bad compared to some peoples

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I got stopped about by the police when they where dipping on Wednesday and the cop went round my whole car and came back and said that someone had fitted "euro tires" lol. I asked him they where illegal and he said no, theyre just unsafe and let me on my way.

Id say theyre gonna start clamping down alot now though, more money for them now!

Mine arent even that bad compared to some peoples

They look ok to me. Both lookswise and safetywise.
Is the bit highlighted in bold not a bit contradictory though? If its unsafe, surely its illegal on a car?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
The 90 degree thing....

Breadth of tread

The part of the tyre which can contact the road under normal conditions of use measured at
90 degrees to the peripheral line of the tread.

I have no idea what that means lol

EP2

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R FN2
They look ok to me. Both lookswise and safetywise.
Is the bit highlighted in bold not a bit contradictory though? If its unsafe, surely its illegal on a car?
Lol I know I was wondering that aswell! Didnt seem to have a clue what he was on about really.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

That's got to be one genius cop.

He says something on your car is unsafe....and just lets you go ? By sounds of things it's also pretty unsafe to give someone like that a gun !

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Seen this earlier on cakeface and understand the reasoning behind this decision.

Although in that image, the problem isnt strictly speaking stretched tyres.

It's the owner is a ****tard who fitted wheels/tyres far too wide for the car, and also removed the suspension.

So quite dangerous on a few counts and if stopped would deserve to be impounded as it is very dangerous..

I'd like to think that car would have failed any MOT test anyway, or been stopped at any roadside check.

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
Problem will be if they start to clamp down on it, some police who might be clueless and seeing a problem with a tyre that isnt dead straight, like the above comment of
whre they were called 'euro tires' lol

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Problem isn't wide wheels, they have too low an offset.

-herc-

RMS Regular
Can anyone shed any light on my rims above first mot is due in two weeks

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.