R35 GTR hammered by a showroom spec Convertible

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Experiencing a launch in one of the new 911 Turbo S's is euphoric. Nearly unbelievable.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Spied a blue 991 Turbo S coupe in Portrush yesterday, 777 reg on it. Not the prettiest looking car to be fair.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Very impressive. There are 4 or so great articles in this months Evo about the "GTR Effect", and a side by side road test of the modern (R32 onwards) GTRs - worth a read.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
If you want to see more... Buy the mag!

image.jpg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Hmmm, heavier car with less torque that costs 1/2 what the other one does in uk prices, and something like 1/4 in Japanese prices is slightly slower...don't quite see the surprise?

scub

Banned
Hmmm, heavier car with less torque that costs 1/2 what the other one does in uk prices, and something like 1/4 in Japanese prices is slightly slower...don't quite see the surprise?
think its because the gtr had been blowing away porsches since it came onto the market , mostly due to it's trick double clutch that all the other manufacturers have now caught on to.
gtr always went a lot quicker than the statistics said it should for such a heavy lump of a car .
porsche'd need a roof for me or i'd have the datsun & many grands worth of change !!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
think its because the gtr had been blowing away porsches since it came onto the market , mostly due to it's trick double clutch that all the other manufacturers have now caught on to.
gtr always went a lot quicker than the statistics said it should for such a heavy lump of a car .
porsche'd need a roof for me or i'd have the datsun & many grands worth of change !!

Trick double clutch ?

VW's DSG uses a double clutch. As does it's super daddy...the Veyron. And likely most similar style fast shifting auto/manual transmissions from other marques ( including all other modern VW's these days...ie Audi R8, Lambo etc )

The GTR is a superb machine, but then so are most Porsches. So an article saying a bog standard showroom 2 seater sports car with 50 years development....is faster than a bog standard showroom Datsun GTR.

Really..what's the story ?

scub

Banned
Yes why is it not a trick clutch then ? You must be right & every motoring review written about it is wrong then ...they foolishly seemed to think that was the main reason why it far outperformed the old fashioned power to weight ratio !

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yes why is it not a trick clutch then ? You must be right & every motoring review written about it is wrong then ...they foolishly seemed to think that was the main reason why it far outperformed the old fashioned power to weight ratio !

Because it is quite commonplace and has been for a few years, but yes I guess it could still be called trick.

Well you can be 100% sure, if they are saying the only reason the GTR goes fast is because it can change gear quickly, then the journalists are completely and utterly wrong ( and stupid ).

Yes it will help, the same way it helps an SMG BMW, a DSG Golf, and any other car with a similar clutch/box.
But the fact the GTR has a super engine, superb chassis, superb 4wd system, superb gearbox, and superb computer control of that entire package etc etc....are all reasons it goes fast with anyone behind the wheel.

johnb740

RMS Regular
Drives
X3 3.0 SD
The GTR's party piece hasnt always been its performance but more the performance it gives for the money.

Is the GTR still half the price of a Turbo??

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thereabouts. Still an absolute bargain IMO given its capabilities.

stevyg

RMS Regular

Plus the GTR is using pretty much the same 7 year old technology as it did when it came out.... no surprise to me either.

Can't take anything away from the Porsche, looks like an amazing piece of machinery. I wonder who would be quickest around a track?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.