Fit second hand tyres to a BMW?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Got 2 good condition tyres off a fellow RMS'er, anyone suggest somewhere in the Belfast area to fit them to a BMW? I know they need a special jacking mount thing or it just cracks the plastic (why on earth do they need these, every other car on the road works just fine on normal jacking points!!) Tried Kwik-Fit on Ormeau Rd but they wouldn't fit second hand tyres, and dodgy looking place next door to it didn't have the mount.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Shouldn't need a special mount, you remove that bit of plastic and most places usually just put a generic piece of rubber underneath. That's how mine was done.

soupz

RMS Regular
OP
soupz
Drives
Boxster S
Looks like this…

Jackpoint.jpg

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
If it's for an e46 there are centre jack points front and rear which you can use an ordinary jack on. Although I used a trolley jack on those plastic jobbies and they were fine.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Wouldn't fit your own self supplied tyre or just don't touch used tyres? Either way I wouldn't be going there again, very unhelpful :eek:

soupz

RMS Regular
OP
soupz
Drives
Boxster S
Its a 1 Series E81.

Kwik-Fit were very hesitant to fit own self supplied tyre, and then when he asked if they were used he said definitely not. Was quite surprised TBH, any of the tyre depots down home in Omagh have no issue with fitting self supplied/used tyres.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Kwik Fit are a huge chain though. they will be by the book (on paper anyway). backstreet tyre fitter is what you want.

no way would I consider Kwik Fit to fit part worn tyres.

C4L

RMS Regular
you don't need a special jack lololol like they've said just go somewhere not so commerial/generic brand and they should rip tyres on and off for a few squid

soupz

RMS Regular
OP
soupz
Drives
Boxster S
you don't need a special jack lololol like they've said just go somewhere not so commerial/generic brand and they should rip tyres on and off for a few squid

What's so funny? And who said anything about needing a special jack? I just mentioned that all 1 Series need a jack adapter mount or it cracks the plastic.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
What's so funny? And who said anything about needing a special jack? I just mentioned that all 1 Series need a jack adapter mount or it cracks the plastic.

I'm pretty sure my E60 had them too and indeed you are correct as I cracked all mine. In fact I think you could take them off too.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
My e39 has wee stupid square jacking points too, I just jack it under the diff or the subframes

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
As was said, most places use generic pieces of foam/rubber or similar to protects all shapes and sizes of car. I fire my jack under those plastic things all the time, they're wrecked on the CSL with us being up and down that many times with tyres and brake changes.

You can remove and replace them though...if you're into that kinda thing.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
i have these on my e90. you can either remove them, or just use the jack directly on to them, they dont break. you may damage the edges slightly but who cares

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I have one of the hockey pucks for my trolley jack. The BMW scissor jack is designed to fit into the recess in the plastic jacking points. If you remove them (they need to be broken out) then you're jacking directly on the sill - wouldn't be something I'd be recommending. New jack pads are about £10 each so dear enough as I found out when I replaced them on my 130i. I bought the hockey puck jack pad from Chris @ CMWheels for about 15-20 notes. I only use it when jacking the car up myself though. If it's in getting work done it's usually on a lift / ramp.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.