R plates cars and bikes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

roy71

Drives
motobike car
I work at the dvla office in belfast and been ask this question lots of times. If you have pass a car licance over one year do you need to show your R plates on a motorbike when you have just pass the anwser is yes for every category of motor engine as you have just pass a test on that category and it is new even if you are a road user with a full licence for years.If you are say I.e pass a test and wanted to drive a category of the same class ie car manual to auto automatic you dont have to display R plates I hope that helps any miss understanding

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Do you need to display r plates if you pass direct access motorbike test, have heard both yes and no, til now I havent displayed them as this is what I was lead to believe.

Gingerfreak

RMS Member
Drives
depend on weathe
You are meant to display R plates, even if you do a direct access . I Have recently done the direct access, and when you send your license away to get updated it comes back, it states on the paper bit "R plates display until (whatever date)". But how many bike do you see R plates on? Im told if you get stopped and have no plates displayed, you can end up with 2 points and a fine.
On a side note, it make no sense, after a direct access course you arent restricted in engine output or a 45 mpd speed limit. so why the need "R(estricted)" plates?

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just been doing a search on this and this thread came up. Got my license back after passing full unrestricted motorbike test a couple of months ago and it's marked that I'm restricted for a year?

I'm guessing nobody bothers at all? I mean I've been driving for 14 years, plus had to do 60mph for the actual test, so what sense is it to now do 45mph lol? Are they not doing away with R plates soon anyways?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Just been doing a search on this and this thread came up. Got my license back after passing full unrestricted motorbike test a couple of months ago and it's marked that I'm restricted for a year?

I'm guessing nobody bothers at all? I mean I've been driving for 14 years, plus had to do 60mph for the actual test, so what sense is it to now do 45mph lol? Are they not doing away with R plates soon anyways?
You don't need R plates for a V10.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
I don't think you need them. When I did my test on the bike it was never even mentioned, your not actually restricted to anything

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I work at the dvla office in belfast and been ask this question lots of times. If you have pass a car licance over one year do you need to show your R plates on a motorbike when you have just pass the anwser is yes for every category of motor engine as you have just pass a test on that category and it is new even if you are a road user with a full licence for years.If you are say I.e pass a test and wanted to drive a category of the same class ie car manual to auto automatic you dont have to display R plates I hope that helps any miss understanding

It's no wonder everything takes weeks or months to be processed at the DVLA/DVA/DVLNI, if this represents the level of literacy of the employees.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
And I didn't know DVLA had an office in Belfast, I was sure it was Swansea.

image.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I know that, but their Belfast office was still open when this thread was originally posted so wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic (y)

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I know that, but their Belfast office was still open when this thread was originally posted so wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic (y)

Technically he is right, DVLA never had an office here, it was DVLNI:p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.