BTCC 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They do seem to have a power advantage still... Plato is looking good in the MG though, and Jordan as well. And Turkington, if they can keep the car together :grinning:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Last corner of the last race was a bit of a shocker with Turk and Sheddon? Any thoughts?

certainly wasn't a clean move passing on the outside across the gravel seeing as Turk had the inside racing line, but then again both drivers braked super late and used the gravel. It'll be a tough one for the stewards.

I know who I want to get the result

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, was an interesting one that :grinning: I think it will just be chalked up as a "racing incident" and left at that, like you say they were both guilty to some extent. Shame though, was a really good race for Colin.

Was a good race weekend, plenty of action behind the two MGs, and the rain made it "interesting" as always, lol :grinning:

Got to love BTCC, just gets better and better. Especially when you watch it straight after the F1 snore-fest :innocent:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I think it was great that they left it to a "racing incident", I like f1 but had a similar incident occured there would have been grid penalties and all sorts whereas that was just put down as a cracking last lap and corner

timor

RMS Regular
I'm just wondering if it was the other way around would Shedden have accepted it as graciously as Turks? Sorry Flash fans i reckon he'd have done some moaning!
IMG_10947575068707.jpeg

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Dam right he would have lol.

love that picture mind you.

IMO Sheddon would have got the position no matter what. he would have had the pace for the exit and the inside line for the drag race to the line. he would have muscled Turk out of the way but cant deny P1 was his. Im just waiting for Croft and Oulton, thats turkington territory!

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
OP
DEEJAY.B
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
8XRZ_yV6eFNsWc2mOWlZdIS95Mw2BHiuKvePao5RkF40ZI4po6nD3lg-i92zjrk-lMbb0DXdRtVIPogyzkOowNlaZhGk5RNvrPmPslEFNF7ZxWM2NVvRzvDsh-pSL_fEXW8yQA=s0-d-e1-ft

ivWOctjyLyGSqfSGVlmVl3FNzDAIddz3YeH7SjmDwt6MH84w3k8WcRvgPDiN0bmksHiehMTkPOr0Aj54GyLRizWO8OQ7qEbQ-ZIO95BUoWg0oqg1aoT__aSGgh8_OtflW4fzmEvfSVU=s0-d-e1-ft

ROB AUSTIN RACING IN A RUSH TO MAKE THRUXTON BTCC

Team has worked flat out to be ready for UK's fastest race track

Worcestershire’s British Touring Car star Rob Austin will contest this weekend’s (Sat 3/Sun 4 May) three latest British Touring Car races at the Thruxton circuit in Hampshire after working round the clock to have his Exocet Racing Audi race car fixed in time.

The Rob Austin Racing mechanics have worked several all-nighters in their Pershore workshops since the most recent event (ten days ago at Donington Park) when the Audi, nicknamed Sherman, suffered considerable rear-end damage after being rammed by another car.

“The damage was worse than we first thought but the work that’s gone in since Donington has been unbelievable and yet again my crew have done the most remarkable job in the timeframe,” comments Rob. “After the graft the lads have put in the least I can do now is go to Thruxton and drive the hell out of it.”

Rob says that Thruxton is his favourite circuit on the calendar, even if on paper it doesn’t favour the Audi.

“The speeds are incredibly high all the way round the lap – we’re nudging 150mph in some places with some of the corners taken at over 130mph. It requires massive balls as well as huge respect and that’s why I absolutely love it. It really sorts the men from the boys.

Cr2LshCrIQF7B8KSQOnJZ7ZYPPgW-v-2JJ7jeYJ_bqyiUE4c8FMa_XTEcvpKD-u9nKeFUP52GuBO8K8XJHdLJ0J1sI9dm2TvjCaHnvJNYeOyN87-mkRxTy5PFebvTGZ3Fw2w46O8=s0-d-e1-ft
“I’ve gone well in everything else I’ve raced there but for some reason it remains a bogey circuit for our Audi in the BTCC. The rear-wheel-drive configuration we run seems to put us at a disadvantage there against the front-wheel-drive cars which make up the vast majority of the grid (30-plus cars) so it could be a bit of a damage-limitation exercise.

However, I’m sure my grid girl Sophie Coombs who runs Thruxton’s skid pan driving experience can pass on a few nifty tips!”

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
OP
DEEJAY.B
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Some job done . .

UNITED AUTOSPORTS PRODUCES HERCULEAN EFFORT

photo-1-copy-720x400.jpg

BTCC new boys United Autosports were already a highly respected professional racing team before making its tin-top debut this year, but the Yorkshire-based outfit’s reputation continues to go from strength-to-strength after producing a herculean effort over the past eight days.

When James Cole’s Toyota Avensis was completely destroyed during race two at Donington Park less than two weeks ago, after both he and the Audi S3 of Robb Holland made unfortunate contact through the Craner Curves, it looked as though the team would be facing a race against time to be ready for Thruxton.

Despite confronting a monumental challenge the squad will be on the grid this weekend with both of its drivers after practically building a completely new car for Cole. After sourcing a shell from Speedworks the squad has since worked round the clock to ensure that Liverpudlian Cole will join his Scottish team-mate Glynn Geddie at the fastest circuit in the UK this weekend.

“I’ve shaken the car down and we’re ready to go,” enthused Cole. “We obviously have to say thank you to Tony Hughes and everyone at Speedworks for loaning us the shell, but I have to also congratulate all at United Autosports for the incredible effort put in.

“When I first saw the car after the accident I knew it was bad. It was actually worse than that – it was totally wrecked – but we got straight to work after receiving the new shell. I knew that if anyone could do it United Autosports could and they’ve worked tirelessly ever since. It’s actually a phenomenal and ridiculous achievement when you consider the normal lead-time to build a car. Practically everything on the car is new and the guys have done it all in less than ten days – it’s absolutely remarkable.”

Thruxton will be the team’s third event in its BTCC baptism with Geddie’s 13th place in race two at Donington Park representing the squad’s best result so far. The team has shown well on the circuit, but there’s little doubting that the off-track workload has proved the biggest challenge in the last week or so.

Richard Dean, Team Owner and Managing Director, said: “Having to virtually replace James’ car after his accident at Donington was a huge task for the team, but one we have faced head on and completed. With the Donington/Thruxton schedules and only taking delivery of the new shell last Wednesday, we had 8 days to turn this around. The car was completely stripped down and the parts we could use again, such as the gearbox, some suspension components and electrical parts were salvaged. We had to have a new engine as this also suffered substantial damage and obviously a new shell, as the crash had caused damage to the roll cage and all the suspension pick up points, even the throttle pedal had broken in two!

“James has been to the workshop in Leeds several times to check on the progress and to have a seat fit in the new shell too. The whole team has worked some long hours and all weekend to get the car out at Thruxton and I’m really pleased with the end result. We must give a mention to Speedworks and in particular Tony Hughes for helping us and our chief mechanic Ken Clayton who has driven the team on through the rebuild. Now hopefully we can work on getting both cars consistently in the points and start challenging for top ten results.”

United Autosports complete a 30-car strong field at Thruxton after the other car unfortunately involved in the aforementioned accident had to be withdrawn – see separate story on Rotek Racing.

Reactions: dub

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Always bad when you see the fork lift going into the shrubs looking for a car :grinning: Thruxton is a mad, mad, mad circuit!

Pretty boring and one-sided weekend to be honest. Until the last race, picked up then, the fight for third in the last few laps was great (y) Good result for Colin, but surprised to see Plato and the MG so far behind, even without ballast.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
race 3 was class, love church corner except obviously when it goes wrong, belchers crash was a bit hairy. used to love seeing Gio hammer round it in the vectra, bit of 4 wheel drifting going on

great result for Turk, could have went very wrong with the 2 safety cars

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, I think he got lucky with the Hondas held up further back in the field. But he will take the win :grinning:

Cess

RMS Staff
That third race was super hairy. It had everything. Cars four abreast, bumper to bumper racing, mega overtakes and massive crashes. It will be about Wednesday by the time they find that last car.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Race 3 was brilliant. Colins starts are just getting better and better. :cool:

Good to see Gio finally on the podium. Be good to see him fighting at the front.

As for that crash, Belcher has said the car is a write off and likely wont be out again this season! (n) After 2 crashes before at the same place they should have had the tyres built up again. It was just a ramp for any car hitting them!

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Race 3 was brilliant. Colins starts are just getting better and better. :cool:

Only issue is, I had heard that the fast starts of the BMW's are being looked into and after that awesome start in race 3 id imagine Alan Gow may put a stop to it somehow. although silly really considering the FWD have their own strengths and the RWD have their definite weaknesses

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Cannot see it being an issue really. As said, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Given how dominant the Hondas were today, I doubt anyone would have cause to complain about Colin being quick off the line...

Shaun

RMS Regular
Yeah i think they said they would make a decision after 3 races and that wasat the last race i think..?

Bit of a joke really, its like saying the honda are to fast going round corners etc.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Yeah i think they said they would make a decision after 3 races and that wasat the last race i think..?

Bit of a joke really, its like saying the honda are to fast going round corners etc.

They did say that about the Hondas, so the reduced the level of boost they were allowed, to make it easier for the rest to pass them on the straights as they couldn't do it in the corners, this was at the beginning of the ngtc specs.

Yes it does keep the racing closer, but it is annoying that they mess with them like that.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Actually, to me, all those levellers are what makes BTCC so great. Just means no team is allowed to run away with it just because they happened to "interpret the rules" or "innovate" a bit differently from others. Just slap some ballast on, or tweak things, to keep it all nice and level. A fine balancing act, but they seem to be pretty good at it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.