1.8 20v turbo wanted asap!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sturgygti

RMS Member
Drives
polo gti
Anybody no where I can get a 1.8 20v turbo engine out a golf with the engine in it that's been rear ended??

Andy_Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
ibiza cupra 20vt
Seen a couple cheap mk4 gtis on gumtree going for about 600 pull the engine out and brake the rest of the car should easily make your money back

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
Can you not get the 225 in the mk4 golfs? I'll give them a ring tomorrow mate thanks.

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
Yeah but a real lot of work. Custom subframe, front panal cut away. Etc... There ment to be a nitemare to do

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
Good luck with it lad. I'd go for an agu engine if I were u. There cheap to buy and easy to tune. My brother has his sitting at 250bhp. The 225 engine is expensive to buy.

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
What's the agu engine mate? Im open to ideas like that was just my first thought. I just seen I can get it till 260 bhp and thought I would go for it didn't think much about it lol

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
Agu came on the earlier mk4 golfs/a3 etc... They have a big port head and a lot use them for tuning. U can buy a full mk4 golf 1.8t for under a grand now. Use the parts u need and sell the rest. The agu is 150bhp but easy to make over 200bhp.

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
I'll have a look for one of them then mate thanks :grinning: the other one was a bam engine like

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
Is it a gti polo u have? Y not supercharge it? I see a lot of people do that on them. Prob work out cheaper and easier than the whole 1.8t thing.

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
Yes mate you would need to do to much to it the valves and head n stuff would hold the power would only last a few days already asked about all that mate

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As said, the 1.8T into these is ment to be a real ballache.

By the sounds of it, your after any 1.8T with a K04 turbo as standard, so BAM, APX, etc. These are the dearest to buy, but you could be up around 270hp will relatively little tuning.

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
See I would rather spend the extra money and go for the BAM and get the safe 260 out of it instead of tuning the balls out of the AGU one like. I think it will be money well spent and it's going to be done right

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
Rem u also have to upgrade brakes/ custom driveshafts, custom wiring loom, better front suspension etc etc

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
Yes mate ino I'm going to start doin it asap need to find proper food coilovers etc would vr6 brakes do?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
BAM is Drive by Wire. The AGU is cable throttle. People use the AGU for the stronger bottom end and large port head so they handle a bigger turbo better. And for most conversions a cable throttle is easier.
The Audi TT 225 engine came in the quattros so just remember you need another 4 pot FWD petrol gearbox if you get one of them.

VR6 stuff is the earlier running gear. Just use the 312mm brakes you get on all the mk4 stuff and TTs, gtis etc

Personally if it was mine I'd go with what the Lupo GTI lads do and whack a big Eaton blower onto the smaller engine. The MK4 1.8T is a fairly big engine because of the amount of extra crap on it.

sturgygti

RMS Member
OP
sturgygti
Drives
polo gti
My gti brakes wouldn't do would they? Still thinking about what one to put in I was told you can supercharge them? I would rather stick the 18 turbo in it tho

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.