Locating oil leak VAG (1.8T)...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Any experts help me on this.

Noticed a slight oil leak about a week ago, but wasn't sure. Now I am sure.

It looks like it's dripping onto the edge of the sump and then to the ground, so perhaps lower front of the engine like where the oil filter is??

I checked the oil level and it's not low or anything.

It wouldn't be the turbo oil feed pipe, would it? If it's been like since last week or more and I've driven hundreds of miles, I'd have killed it by now, right? So maybe some other pipe is split?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Could you get it on axle stands, remove the engine cover and undertray and leave the engine running to try and see something?

Last edited:

Mrt20

RMS Regular
Drive shaft oil seal on the gearbox is a common enough problem I think or crank shaft oil seal

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
The SAI, evap, and all that crap on a 1.8T that isn't needed is always a headache. Don't assume it's an oil pipe. It's probably one of the breather pipes so it could be oil vapour.

Take a look at the pipes to the right hand side of the head near the front of the engine and check those pipes thoroughly. They just split over time.

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
Thanks guys.

Didn't have an opportunity to get it on stands tonight, but I'll have a look tomorrow.

@Bazmcc
Are you a mechanic? How close to Ballymoney are you?

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
Dubtech is the place for this :grinning:

Didn't even know the place existed.

Do you recommend them? Use them? I haven't settled on a mechanic since I moved back up here, so happy to get recommendations.

Darren91

RMS Regular

Do you recommend them? Use them? I haven't settled on a mechanic since I moved back up here, so happy to get recommendations.

Highly recommended, he does all my stuff I don't get a stamp for and all my dad's stuff on his A6. definitely knows his stuff.

Last edited:

richie_mck

RMS Regular

Another high recommendation for dubtech, Paul knows his stuff. His workshop is in behind basil knipes electric place, go through the gates at the end of basil knipes car park he's just on the left hand side at the bottom of the building

purplea4T

RMS Regular
As Bazmcc said, its more than likely the breather on the right hand side of the head as you look at it. Replaced mine on every 18t I've had but they can also leak from the cam cover around the same area. Octavia still going well otherwise?

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
Thanks guys. Needed a mechanic recommendation around here anyway. Had a good one in Banbridge, but that's a bit far these days!!

@purplea4T
Aye, just a few niggles that need fixed as they appear. Now at 110k miles and apart from the cost of mods I made, the only thing I've had to do in the last 30k miles is change the oil and filter a few times, a wheel bearing, bushing, track rod end, and I think that's about it.

I have been doing more miles recently and at this rate I could save £100/month with a pd130, so I'm thinking of changing :worried:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I drove a gt tdi golf when I ran mine full time, just couldn't do it! I've still got mine, been laid up for a while, needs a caliper but still going strong!

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
@purplea4T
I thought maybe if I got a clean Highline or Superb Elegance, mapped, lowered, wheel change, I might be able to cope.

Wife thinks I'd get bored with it! lol

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
@Darren91 @richie_mck
Turns out I know Paul. We were in the same year at school. lol

Happy to throw any work his way from now on. Thanks for that (y)

Last edited:

Andy_Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
ibiza cupra 20vt
Worth checking the oil filter, had an oil leak on my cupra few months back was thinking it was turbo oil feed pipe turned out there was a small split in the oil filter cheap and easy fix thankfully

tomah

RMS Regular
OP
tomah
Drives
Acura MDX
Just to update this, I had it in with Paul today. It was the oil filter. I wasn't screwed tightly enough or something.

Thanks again to those who suggested Dubtech. It's great to take the car to someone you know (y)

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
So basically whoever serviced it last hadn't tightened the oil filter ? Nice simple fix tho with no money spent. Always good :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.