Car for around 5k

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
172 would be too small and awkward for me to live with @big_pete. I need a 5 door family hatch or bigger. Kids, dog and old people in their 80's are in my car regularly.

Thinking I might need to go up to £6/7k though need something soon as my runaround Fabia is gone.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I'm swaying towards spending a bit more and going for a more recent bm.

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Gtst skyline,type r dc2,ek9,ep3,classic subaru,evo? Owned most of these all brillant cars and can be got for around or below your price range

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I don't have a daily driver as such. I live and work in Belfast so only average about 6k a year! Bigish miles don't bother me, just that stigma of 6 figure milage scares me!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I'd recommend a 99/00 impreza. It would have to be a good low mile tight one though(if you can find one).
I only use mine in good weather and weekends but you could easily drive one as a daily. I recently spent around £1500 getting it tuned, but its now up from 220bhp to a genuine 340bhp and is every bit as sharp as my 380bhp evo was. Bang for buck theres not much else out there imo

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I'd recommend a 99/00 impreza. It would have to be a good low mile tight one though(if you can find one).
I only use mine in good weather and weekends but you could easily drive one as a daily. I recently spent around £1500 getting it tuned, but its now up from 220bhp to a genuine 340bhp and is every bit as sharp as my 380bhp evo was. Bang for buck theres not much else out there imo

I love that era of imprezas but as you say it's hard to find a good one that some wee hallion hasn't bolted half of halfords to.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
yeah nearly all of them have been basterdised now or wrote off, there are some good ones left though in the right places.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
yeah nearly all of them have been basterdised now or wrote off, there are some good ones left though in the right places.

Where is the best place to look? Where did you find yours?

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
The only thing that worries me about an Impreza, and it's the same with an EP3 Type-R, is I live in north Belfast with on-street parking. I want something that won't attract the wrong kind of attention :worried:. Suppose a GTi Golf or Mazda 3 MPS would attract the same attention, but in my mind it would be to a lesser extent.

C4L

RMS Regular
What are these BMs like? I tell myself parts will be expensive when something breaks and that it will with that milage!

personally I love mine, all I've got to compare it to is a couple of hot hatches (ep3, zr etc) and would never go back, much prefer the bm.

Had it over a year, only serviced and put 2 tyres on nothing else so far (touch wood) and any mod's I've done. It's every bit as fast as the ep3 probably slightly quicker as its more torquey but down a road the ep3 or clio sport or something would walk it. Gets about 33-34mpg (I usually cruise about in mine dead easy most seem to get 28-31) and looks like it costs 3 or 4 times what it does. Nice place inside too, only time I noticed it slightly dated was getting into a 2013 BM a few months ago and admittedly (obviously) it was a bit behind but frankly still nicer than half the newer cars about

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I'm swaying towards spending a bit more and going for a more recent bm.

They just don't put a smile on my face, modern bmw's just dont do it for me sadly.

Ive reccomended an e36 m3 evo and I think you will find to difficult to find a better car than this. Its 300bhp after all, 6 speed box and can achieve 30mpg motorway driving.

brendy

RMS Regular
Another (getting boring I know) vote for japanese and awd, impreza. Mine was fairly cheap when I bought nearly 5 years ago, owes me very little and yet I still cant see many other affordable (for daily hacking about) motors out there that I would willing swap for.
Wet weather grip great
Noise
Dry grip awesome
Cold weather great fun.
5 seats
Noise.
Brakes are just ok, need decent pads over standard.
No spaceage dash to distract you.
Very good servicing costs imho.
The noise
Fuelling costs really arent as bad as other performance motors with half the doors.
Oh and the ****ing noise, did I mention that? You can keep your 9000rpms, your 60 frowns per gallon, your rear wheel steer that cant get you out of the drive in the winter, im keeping this burbling ACDC rocking mother****er til it falls apart at the seams. :imp:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.