Car radio

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Please excuse my ignorance. These words such as head units, DIN's, double DIN's and what have you. I don't get it. Are they all just different words for a car radio, or am I missing something?

Basically, I've been give a long term loaner of a '97 Z3 and it needs a new radio. There's a Blaupunkt one in there at the minute, but when you turn the audio dial, it just does what it wants, turn it up and the volume gets lower, then higher, then lower again and it's a bit of a PITA.

I don't want something super fancy with a TV screen and apps or what have you, I just want a sub £100 radio that will fit flush and will take Andriod and Apple inputs for audio. Bluethooth or hardwired, USB or 3.5mm jack, I don't really care, just something that will play music of my choice. Anyone able to recommend a new (or even a used) item to fit the bill?

pablo

RMS Moderator
DIN = a standard size. found in most cars.
Double DIN = double height but same width (usually has a tv screen on it).

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
That's that then, I need a DIN. It's just that standard size radio.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Z3 might need a fascia adapter. As bmw radios are usually a little larger than DIN size.

look for ebay for Z3 fitting kit should give you all you need. wiring adapter etc.

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
@pablo Z3 doesn't need a facia adapter since it's based on the E36 so he's golden there.

I have the original stereo out of a breaker and was thinking of installing a Parrot to take our iphones to play music and incorporate the bluetooth part of it so I could keep the 'retro' feel of the original stereo but might go down the same route as yourself mate. Halfords sometimes run some good deals on fairly standard stereos.

pablo

RMS Moderator
ah cool I couldnt remember if the oem one was a little wider than aftermarket like on the E46

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.