Lanes/Targa Rallies

peespeed

RMS Regular
I cant imagine having much fun in a (no-matter how trick) fwd Starlet. Not really my thing, even with the podium/trophy prospects... :p

Quite a sum of money tied up in the (trick) Midgets, they probably deserved results. You reap what you sow!

The MX5 drivers were the out having a bit of craic, show-boating for marshals, grazing quarter-panels and pebble-dashing trees!! They cant be beat for smiles-per-pound. I didnt stop grinning all day and the sum of my prep was a cheap car-wash and £40 unleaded!! lol

In that respect, I maybe deserved my DNF, but my trouble was solved with a set of jump-leads and I drove the 70mile trip home, no trailer required!! :grinning:

And some of them show boat even more when they see a camera on the side of a test.

I believe "Snips n Curls", which is a top hairdressing magazine, will be in attendance at some point during the year to chat to all the hairdressers :laughing::laughing::laughing:

hungryauld

RMS Member
Drives
V8 Triumph 2000,
The rules allow turbos on engines up to 1500cc so that would cover most of the 1.4T's that are being produced at the minute.

Was there a 1.3 turbo metro? One of those could be a properly quick Lanes car. And isn't the Glanza turbo a 1.3 too.
The rules allow turbos on engines up to 1500cc so that would cover most of the 1.4T's that are being produced at the minute. That's only if the organizers want to go down that road! It is very important for entrants to read the supplementary regulations and ask questions. Contrary to what some think the event runs to the organizers rules as long as they are accepted by the MSA

John_MK5

RMS Regular
And some of them show boat even more when they see a camera on the side of a test.

I believe "Snips n Curls", which is a top hairdressing magazine, will be in attendance at some point during the year to chat to all the hairdressers :laughing::laughing::laughing:
I do my best when I see you in the hedge peter lol

KevM

RMS Regular
Where were all the unbreakable MX5s?

It's just occurred to me, all the lowly-seeded MX5's were queued up & waiting patiently at the cone chicane at the merge point, waiting to execute a 16 point turn to get through 2 cones that could only be negotiated in 1 go in a small early 60's car named after something particularly small, a 90's hatchback designed to manoeuvre Tescos car parks by small Asian women or a slim 8 yr old kid on a junior mountain bike!!

(I'm jokin...) :grinning:

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Do I send the repair bill to qubmc?? :-p
uploadfromtaptalk1405983983451.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405983993073.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405984006833.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405984015902.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405984025122.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405984033543.jpg

KevM

RMS Regular
Looking at that, its maybe just as well we quit when we did!!

& to think the MX in front of us was decked on standard suspension with lowering springs, he was bottoming out at 25mph on the road sections :scream:

peespeed

RMS Regular
@Super I don't know how that MX5 that ran in front of you gets down the lanes/tracks on events, when they passed us on test 1 there were lumps of grass pulled up along the centre of the track.

It amazes me how many lowered cars compete and some guys complain about how rough tests are.....raise the feckin cars up a bit and things won't be as bad

Adhilditch

RMS Member
Drives
Seat Inca
Finally got round to uploading my photos from the weekend! What an awesome rally! It was thoroughly enjoyable to watch and everyone seemed very friendly and welcoming! cheers! Now I cant wait to get entering them in the future ;).

My photography skills leave a little to be desired I'm afraid but I picked some of the slightly better pictures and uploaded them here:

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Hilditch/library/Lanes Rally 19-07-14

It should be set to public and viewable? hopefully it works! Enjoy!

DavyC

RMS Regular
Looking forward to this rightly, also our first time out in an MX5.

@swervygerdy Did you make it out on Saturday past?

Now I cant wait to get entering them in the future ;).

You should see what this pair has gathered up for the lanes!... All of a sudden I'm feeling incredibly macho and gruff in our MX5!.. :p (Only joking).. It's a proper bargain buy, and I think it'll go well! Looking farward to seeing it out!

Last edited:

swervygerdy

RMS Regular
@swervygerdy Did you make it out on Saturday past?

Yes DavyC, my oul boy was driving, finished last but one! Had a great time though, tbh, did'nt figure on the stages being quite so rough and we drove up from Belfast in the car. Might stick it on the traile for the next one, along with some proper guards and a hydro wand.

DavyC

RMS Regular
Sounds like a bubbly Micra or a Yellow Fiat Cinqucento Sporting! :p
I'll not say any more, and just let @Adhilditch introduce it in his own time!;)

@swervygerdy Well done on making it through your 1st one, it's more than we managed! I dont think any of us expected it to be that rough!.. And there was me telling you "you should be OK without a sump guard".. Apologies for that bad advice!
Didnt realise that was you seeded two behind us otherwise would've said hello!

KevM

RMS Regular
Entry form & Reg's for the Rathfriland MC Lanes are now linked on the RMC website as available soon!

peespeed

RMS Regular
Update on Rathfriland MC Lanes from Neil Fletcher (Orange Mk1 driver) posted on Tests, Lanes & Trials FB Group

I was speaking to some of the guys from Rathfriland Motor Club at the end of last week about their Targa Rally, I was a little concerned that we'd heard nothing more about the use of our farm lane but they assured me that plans for the rally are in the final stages and they would be holding our lane in reserve for another year. I'm told regs and entry forms will be available shortly.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I see they are using Jelf Insurance so the price of the insurance for the day is down to £12.50, good to see any cost reduction. And the entry fee is only £60. I don't have the figures but that must make it the cheapest Targa for a long time.

@swansty will be pleased (if he was doing the rally) to see that they haven't prohibited the use of helmets.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Yep feet have pushed through this time so not even the sledge will save her.

Battery also moved and wore through a top corner and needs replaced as its leaking.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Starting to become pretty obvious why the Starlets and Midgets are so "trick" now isn't it.

Saves a week of labour between events fixing all the crap displayed above.

KevM

RMS Regular
I had to replace the battery too, it didnt like earthing on the boot hinge and is now declared scrap & wont hold charge! I had to fit a larger battery (less room to move about), also heavier strap and a strip of alloy on the floor to stop it sliding sideways when we do! :p

Other than that, I re-hung one exhaust rubber and re-attached the dopey black under-try and the rest seems fine. I think we possibly missed the car-breaker stages at the tail end of the event in a weird turn of luck.

So, I just need 2 tyres swapped over to a set of wheels I've painted white in a rally-styleee, a word with my main-sponsor (the wife lol) and we're hopefully good to go!

10547661_10152541350924303_7948417637745606174_n.jpg