Bike Lessons around Belfast

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Have a notion to get my test. Any recommendations? Are Swift Training any good? Right around the corner from me which would be handy. I know I'll need to do my CBT first...

johnm

RMS Regular
Both my bro and me done it through swift.
Cant remember the fella's name though it was that long ago (Drives the Mille), but would definitely recommend them.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Was it before all the new nonsense came in? As far as I can work out, I'll need to do the CBT and then the A2. Then when I turn 24, I can do Category A? Trying to get an idea of costs.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
I from Belfast but went to Gene in Newtownards. Couldnt recommend him enough.... Sound guy and a great instructor, and certainly wont drag out lessons or try and keep you paying longer than you need to

johnm

RMS Regular
Aye was indeed, good load of years ago.
When do you turn 24? if its in a year or so I would wait and do the direct access to get it unrestricted.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Aye was indeed, good load of years ago.
When do you turn 24? if its in a year or so I would wait and do the direct access to get it unrestricted.

Yes just got off the phone with the guy in Ards and he said the same thing.

Can't believe how stupid the new system is. There's no incentive at all to get the restricted CBT and A2 now and then have to do it all over again in a year's time. So instead of a year on a restricted bike, I'll be going straight onto an unrestricted one. How does that even begin to make sense!

johnm

RMS Regular
Its the same with any testing here, for the most part it is pointless.
No night driving, motorway testing, even car testing...ohh you have hids, do you have a pointles squirter? No? FAIL!
It is laughable.

The old way wasn't the best, but it was definitely better than the current. Direct access is handy though. A month or two after riding a 125 and you're busting for something iwth a bit more power.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
The is a guy down in ards - Jean he is a good guy.
The guy drives the mille is ronnie - thats who i used for mine

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Its the same with any testing here, for the most part it is pointless.
No night driving, motorway testing, even car testing...ohh you have hids, do you have a pointles squirter? No? FAIL!
It is laughable.

The old way wasn't the best, but it was definitely better than the current. Direct access is handy though. A month or two after riding a 125 and you're busting for something iwth a bit more power.

So if I hold off until next April, would I be best getting the CBT and a 125 to **** about with for a while before going for the full whack and a bigger bike?

Saunts

RMS Regular
I've been looking to get the test recently as well.

Is the test different in England? As that's where I'll most likely be doing it. Does the 24 year old unrestricted rule apply there as well?

johnm

RMS Regular
So if I hold off until next April, would I be best getting the CBT and a 125 to **** about with for a while before going for the full whack and a bigger bike?

I'd get a daft 125 now and arse about on it/get tinkering to get used to it, can drive it on L plates.
Then whenever you hit 24, go DA so you'll have the experience, and not have had to pay for the tests ...and then more tests.

Saunts afaik its the same.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
So I would just need to get my CBT now, arse about for a year on a 125, then just do the Cat A tests?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never really looked into it before!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Yep, CBT lasts 2 years. The only worry I would have about that plan is picking up bad habits before doing the test. That said it's probably just a case of getting a few lessons beforehand to sort out the correct 'test' procedures.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Right, time to look for a cheap 125 then. I genuinely think I would kill myself if I went straight onto an unrestricted bike.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Was talking to the fella I car share with about this on the way home from work glad I saw this, I'm going to give it a go myself.

I'm 29 do I just need to do the CBT then go for the A tests?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
swift has went to the wall.. George has left, my off road test booked and was left stranded with pretty much no instructor, have been put onto a guy in carrick, doing lesson on sunday then do test soon after that.

ive done upgraded CBT and theory. lesson and test done on 600cc also... some craic lol cant wait to get licence but with tests only on tues/weds its a pain for those who work like myself :worried:

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
swift has went to the wall.. George has left, my off road test booked and was left stranded with pretty much no instructor, have been put onto a guy in carrick, doing lesson on sunday then do test soon after that.

ive done upgraded CBT and theory. lesson and test done on 600cc also... some craic lol cant wait to get licence but with tests only on tues/weds its a pain for those who work like myself :worried:

So if I do the 125 one now, will I have to do another before the Cat A next year?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Yes. Indeed you will have to pay the full wack again unfortunately, go do the 600cc test now and get it over with like myself (y)

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
pmsl, like putting your right foot down instead of your left.
That would not stick in my head at all.

LOL, that's one example - I was never really on a bike before doing lessons so never really bothered me however when I was out with a few people who had been riding before on 125s they pretty much always put their right foot down and had to be constantly reminded not to do so!

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
The funny thing with the right foot rule is that advanced riders are told to put their right foot down when they are only stopping briefly.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Right, that time of the year. Debut Drive still the man to see?

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CB500f
I did mine with swift - ronnie whiteside was his name. I did mine before the CBT stuff though. You're better going for the highest test you can and the whole lot at once. No point doing 2 tests.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.