F1 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Seems Charlie clarified it this with a new technical directive today, no warnings, penalties straight away. The drivers cannot be told specifically where they are faster or slower than a rival, can't be told what settings to use on their steering wheels (so no mix 5 etc) or be told what fuel saving is required.

Messages on tyre pressures or temperatures or warnings on brake wear or temperatures will be banned from Japan.

Other drivers sector and lap times are still fair game, as are gaps and team orders.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Messages on tyre pressures or temperatures or warnings on brake wear or temperatures will be banned from Japan.

Other drivers sector and lap times are still fair game, as are gaps and team orders.

Yes cause it makes absolute sense to ban warnings that the brakes will explored if you don't change biased

But allow them to be told sector and lap times etc.

What utter balls

There will more incidents like kvyat and the last race and Hamilton in Canada with failed brakes if something can't be done to tell them, or worse if kvyat and hit the Ferrari he was behind at nearly 200mph

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Yes cause it makes absolute sense to ban warnings that the brakes will explored if you don't change biased

But allow them to be told sector and lap times etc.

What utter balls

I presume it's for the standard run of the mill temp monitoring stuff that we don't hear, the teams were told at the start of the season that brake wear and temp indicators had to be put in the dash along with the fuel usage info so drivers could manage them in-car.

Only half the teams have dashes that display the required info.

If it gets dangerous or is a legitimate safety concern, I presume they will be allowed to inform the drivers.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Another one today, all "coded messages" to be banned as well. Whatever that means :grinning:

I like the idea of making the driver responsible for managing the car. Just have a hard time seeing how feasible all this is... These cars are so complicated, it takes a bit more than a fuel gauge to work out how to get the best of the car in a race. They run entire simulations in the backoffice to work out the optimum race mode, which is what all those mode messages are about. No way a driver can do that themselves out on track...

Well, we shall see I guess. Like I said, I agree with the sentiment, but I have a feeling it will result in either somewhat arbitrary rulings, or an advantage to whoever works out the best way to bypass the new rules...

jimcupra

RMS Regular
The only decent thing left was hearing the radio contact, sure as hell isn't the noise of the milk floats :p. Bring back refuelling, super soft qualifying tyres for top ten shoot out and give the fans a bit more than just racing. Which I will add has been very good, I'm slowly drifting back to watching it, can't stay away been watching it from 76

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I think the track itself is terrible but it's surroundings are brilliant.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Awesome setting for sure.

The race itself usually pretty boring, like most street circuits. Qualifying important again. Cue Rosberg parking up somewhere on the last quali lap :p

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Going by FP1 & FP2, it looks closer this weekend compared to others.

Alonso quickest in FP1 then 2nd in FP2.

If Lewis can get pole then a few others get ahead of Nico :grinning:

Dave..

RMS Regular
I read that the radio message ban is being changed? Also the possibility of 3 car teams for next year.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Looks like business as usual actually, the closest anyone got to the Mercs was Ricciardo, and he was still 0.3s off on race pace. The only reason Nico was down was because Maldonado (obviously - who else :p ) had a huge crash in second practise. The two Mercs still look very close.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A bit of excitement in final quali :grinning:

My heart sank when Nico knocked nearly half a second off the pole time, but then Lewis sailed through .007 seconds quicker, lol :grinning: In fairness, I think Lewis had more in the tank, still an untidy lap, but job done - you only have to be in front, no points for how much :p

Super by Ric again.

Shame to see Williams dropping back, hopefully Bottas can improve again in the race.

Button - what can one say...

But - what was going on in the first half of final quali, lol? Got a bit surreal there for a while :innocent:

C4L

RMS Regular
Hopefully someone ploughs into the back of Rosberg and Lewis wins to really spice things up a bit for the title run home... although they would prob bounce of zee German causing no damage and land ontop of Hamilton judging by this year lol

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Steering wheel electronic issue with Nico's car.

Fantastic atmosphere in Singapore.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Brilliant to see all the driver's eyes all lit up with the dash lights etc.

Clear visors FTW:grinning:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
This race could one of the most defining moments of the World Championship.

#nerves

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
They lose some amount of weight during the race, concentration levels must be sky high.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.