Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Probably cheaper just to transport it the entire way...certainly less hassle. Ferry's dont drive peoples cars on/off the ferry for them.

Other option is just MOT it and drive it home.

Ferry companies do drive cars on and off if the car has been booked on as freight. I have done that a few times sending cars to Liverpool, and once from Liverpool.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Book the MOT here in NI and drive the car to MOT? Not the first time I've done that to get one home, not sure how it would work with a ferry crossing involved.....

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Hey guys, without reading through this whole thread. And I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but will my 2001 accord type r pass mot with a decat? I was told it will because it's 2001? First I heard of that though. I have had cars pass with a decat though?

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Book the MOT here in NI and drive the car to MOT? Not the first time I've done that to get one home, not sure how it would work with a ferry crossing involved.....

Or just take it to a garage in England the day you get the car and have it MOTed on the spot

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Hey guys, without reading through this whole thread. And I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but will my 2001 accord type r pass mot with a decat? I was told it will because it's 2001? First I heard of that though. I have had cars pass with a decat though?

To repeat again....

Post July 2002 there is a visual test for the presence of a cat. Some testers dont care, others do.

Whether your car will pass or not depends on many things, but it does not need a cat fitted at this present time here.

brendy

RMS Regular
Is there a requirement for rear seats to be fitted for the test? I have them out at the moment from having the arches sorted and the test is a short notice one for tonight, I might get a chance to fit when I get home but wondering if they must be there?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is there a requirement for rear seats to be fitted for the test? I have them out at the moment from having the arches sorted and the test is a short notice one for tonight, I might get a chance to fit when I get home but wondering if they must be there?

No you do not have to have rear seats fitted, and no you do not need to remove the belts.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Had the wife's car in for MOT and whilst sitting waiting on them checking underneath it, I looked at a DVA flyer on the wall behind me. Apparently now they have to conduct a certain number of spot checks (to main quality/consistency) immediately after an MOT test. And if the results differ, your original test is declared null and void.

So in other words, I can put a car through the MOT and it passes. I immediately get selected for a spot check 2 mins later and if they find something they don't like, the original pass doesn't count and it has to retest.

Seems weird no?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Had the wife's car in for MOT and whilst sitting waiting on them checking underneath it, I looked at a DVA flyer on the wall behind me. Apparently now they have to conduct a certain number of spot checks (to main quality/consistency) immediately after an MOT test. And if the results differ, your original test is declared null and void.

So in other words, I can put a car through the MOT and it passes. I immediately get selected for a spot check 2 mins later and if they find something they don't like, the original pass doesn't count and it has to retest.

Seems weird no?

Possibly to catch out the old £100 special MOT. That or just the usual mobile stations that pop up from time to time. Seems fair enough to me.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!

Seems weird no?
that's basically what its about, its checking our work. Its for the likes of us saying "go get a tyre stuck on that" and we finish the car, but before the cert is printed, the manager would check the vehicle, find it should have failed for a tyre, give us a bollokin for not failing / missing it. Tyre is a bad example, but you get the idea. This has be happening for the past (at least) 6 years, however I've only seen it happen once.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Didn't really know where to put this. This is our first year with a semi-permanent fixed car seat. Do they need to be removed prior to the MOT test?

Jonny F

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
I've done both cars in the past month and had 3 in one car and 2 in the other. They didn't say anything.

Reactions: dub

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
@JCLC

I've mot on old car tonight for 7.35 newbuildings.
At moment I'm snowed in and street is really bad for
Driving. What happens if I can't get out due to weather? do I get to reschedule or do I lose fee and test date?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
@JCLC

I've mot on old car tonight for 7.35 newbuildings.
At moment I'm snowed in and street is really bad for
Driving. What happens if I can't get out due to weather? do I get to reschedule or do I lose fee and test date?

Phone them and find out. At a guess, if you don't forewarn them that you can't attend, then you will certainly lose the fee.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Phone them and find out. At a guess, if you don't forewarn them that you can't attend, then you will certainly lose the fee.

Phoned at 8.30 and they said happening to alot off people today and would phone me back after 12 to rearrange at no extra charge.

I phoned them and said il make it as the roads have cleared by 12 so all good. cheers

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
MOT dates seem to have went a bit crazy again. If you book today your talking almost 3-4 weeks away or maybe I have just been lucky in the past and got one the following week.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I done 2 recently, one I got the pick of the next day or any day that week, second was 3-4 weeks out and flat out for a cancellation. keep trying the website at various times during the day for cancellations they pop on at fairly random times.