Lanes/Targa Rallies

Dwd

RMS Member
Drives
starlet
Thanks for the info guys. Im planning to do the INTBD rally. It will be my first lanes rally. Been doing southern events on A021Rs, they are expensive though. Might take a look at Rainsport 3's

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
ive now done 2 events on A021R's. On clean dry tar/concrete, they are a great tyre. I found them too grippy on the back and had to switch onto kuhmo eco's during Cookstown's event just to get the car to go round. I kept the same set up (laziness more than technical reasons) for larne. On muddy lanes, im not convinced the A021R's gave a noticeable improvement. Ive run rainsports and found them great for the job. The kuhmo ecos performed very well on the rough gravel of Queens event. In summary, I wouldn't panic about the tyres. On mud and gravel, most tyres will be equal.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
A fair amount yea! It is a fantastic event though, there have been a few farm yards used as well as concrete yards so there is a mixture but given the time of year it is usually right and slippy.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
I'm using a combo of sportway r1+ on the front and a very worn pair of Goodyear excellence on the back. The r1's so far seem to have quelled the big pugs fondness for ripping sidewalls apart, while the worn set on the back really help with 'turn in' .

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Me and a pal are intending buying a car between us and taking it in turns driving and navigating, that way its cheaper and we always have a navigator.

We were thinking of an Mx5 ...............suprise suprise. At least it can be used as a novel summer car where as a fiesta or focus can't.

What are people's recommendations for an mx5? We have both done various bike and car sports over the years but never rallying.

I would love to be out for 8th November as temple is not that far from me but we have no car yet!

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Power steering fluid can boil over at times, heat can be an issue if you like to rev as much as I do however mines revs to 8500rpm so you may be ok.

DavyC

RMS Regular
@mike150 Welcome along.

The main things I'd want in an MX5 would be a diff, decent handbrake and a half decent body (unless you dont mind a lot of welding / bodywork). A 1.8 would be preferred tho some say there's not a lot in it. Our one is a 98 (mk2) 1.8S so came with the 'torsen' LSD. Some Mk1's have the plate type diff which is fine but can wear out so check for that if looking at a Mk1. Our's is more or less standard everything and has served us well given the abuse it gets (tho were only 'ticking over' at 7000rpm compared to @John_MK5 :p). We've zero overheating problems and the power steering is a nice treat.

If, like us, you're trying to stick to a sensible budget then forget coil overs, exhausts etc etc etc... and remember that any March 01 onwards cars will be more expensive to tax (another pet hate of mine!). Just spend a bit of time/few quid on a sump guard and diff guard (they will definately earn thier keep!)

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
We are actively looking for a car now.
First thing is shocking me is the rust on some cars! I think because of that the prices are all over the place.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Mk2 mx5s do seem to rust even more than mk1s surprisingly considering theyre newer.

As for the whole 1.6 versus 1.8 thing. If you go for a 1.6 make sure its an early 115 brake one and not a later 90 brake one! A hardtop would be a bonus too.

KevM

RMS Regular
A Mk1 1.6 will likely be eligible for classic insurance too.

Depends on how much you wish to invest on being competitive!?

DavyC

RMS Regular
A Mk1 1.6 will likely be eligible for classic insurance too.

Depends on how much you wish to invest on being competitive!?

I had the 205 insured on a limited milage policy through EA Davies in Glengormley, and was able to add the MX5 to it for another £100 or so last year. This year both cars are insured for around £250 I think.

Mark_S

RMS Member
Drives
330ci
Hi guys Im dead keen to start lane rallying.. I jus bought a wee saxo vtr.. I've read up on the rules and regs a bit.. does any1 rally with the back seats out? or is it not allowed?

Thanks

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
You should be running with an interior in according to the regs, although you are allowed to cut it to fit a cage.

I always have the rear seat back strapped to the floor of mine, just so it's there! To be honest, if you don't need to take it out to fit a cage, I'd just keep it in, to save any potential issue.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Yiu can remove all excess trim you want. But it must be carried in the car. The preferred method is all wrapped in a nest bundle and tied down in the boot

Mark_S

RMS Member
Drives
330ci
Does any1 rally a saxo.. Mine is lowered a wee bit.. I'm gonna put a sump guard on would i b wise to raise it?

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Does any1 rally a saxo.. Mine is lowered a wee bit.. I'm gonna put a sump guard on would i b wise to raise it?

@swansty uses a saxo VTR to great effect :grinning:. His is std ride height i'm pretty sure, and he made mincemeat out of his sumpguard earlier this year! Std height ftw.