adapting a scissor jack to use with a impact wrench.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilM

RMS Regular
Guys,

anyone ever done this?

im thinking of welding a socket to the scissor jack for the impact gun to rip up and down.

and a base plate to add a little weight and stability.

lastly would a robust scissor jack with a larger base plate double up as a axle stand? stripping threads and dropping is surely as unlikely as a axle stand breaking?

(background - small garage for trolley jack is actually a tad awkward to trail around the car )

Phil

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Guys,

anyone ever done this?

im thinking of welding a socket to the scissor jack for the impact gun to rip up and down.

and a base plate to add a little weight and stability.

lastly would a robust scissor jack with a larger base plate double up as a axle stand? stripping threads and dropping is surely as unlikely as a axle stand breaking?

(background - small garage for trolley jack is actually a tad awkward to trail around the car )

Phil

Sweet Jesus NO! Just get some jack stands. B&Q sell TUV approved Torq stands at £15 for the pair and my civics been on them for months.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If space is tight for a large handle, and you need something lifted to put onto stands...

Something like this maybe ? It probably needs a compressed air source though, you'd be a while manually pumping it up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-ton-P...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item418458aa16

Or...and I didnt think they made these anymore..

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/828852/Inflatable-Car-Jack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-A...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae95bb08f

Again they would only be for lifting to allow you to lace the vehicle onto stands.

johnm

RMS Regular
Stripping the threads wont necessarily happen, but the metal will buckle and bend.
DON'T get under a car with just a scissor jack man.

I said about this in another thread last year, I did it, heard a creak and got out from under the car to check at the passenger side where I had the side entry jack bmw's use.
No sooner had I rolled out and sat up and the car collapsed where I was just lying.
No question about it, I would have been dead. 7 series that had a bout an inch clearance nearly ended me.
Now I use two jacks, stands and the wheels as back up. I dont give a monkeys if thats OTT.

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Haha that's a resounding no then lol

Make no odds that the car is sub 900kg?

Phil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Haha that's a resounding no then lol

Phil

Scissor jacks next to bottle jacks would be about the worst jack you could ever use and lie under a car with no safety stands.

Yes the weight will help, but they're just crap flimsy designs. Up to you...if you can catch and bench 900kgs, fire away lol

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I hate even changing the tyre using a scissor jack, I would only use it in a road side emergency. If I was changing one outside the house I use the trolley jack and throw an axle stand below the car.

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
hmm i think id struggle with even the rear corner of my car never mind the whole lot Lol

what would your opinion on my scissor jack solution be if i was to also throw some axle stands in there?

@stevieturbo you seemed to suggest that an impact gun would be far from ideal for running a scissor jack up/down with.

i assume the torque of the impact gun would add more stress to what is basically a poor design in the first place?

I thinks I better revisit my 'space saving/time saving' solution for this jacking malarky! :grinning:

Phil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
hmm i think id struggle with even the rear corner of my car never mind the whole lot Lol

what would your opinion on my scissor jack solution be if i was to also throw some axle stands in there?

@stevieturbo you seemed to suggest that an impact gun would be far from ideal for running a scissor jack up/down with.

i assume the torque of the impact gun would add more stress to what is basically a poor design in the first place?

I thinks I better revisit my 'space saving/time saving' solution for this jacking malarky! :grinning:

Phil

Impact gun uses...impact hit's, to hit and release a fastener. It is not designed for something that has a constant load against it the entire length of a thread. Often in cases like that they're pretty crap at moving the fastener
It isnt the torque of the gun, its the violent action.

Plus the scissor jack itself wouldnt be designed for this sort of violent action.

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Impact gun uses...impact hit's, to hit and release a fastener. It is not designed for something that has a constant load against it the entire length of a thread. Often in cases like that they're pretty crap at moving the fastener
It isnt the torque of the gun, its the violent action.

Plus the scissor jack itself wouldnt be designed for this sort of violent action.

Maybe a drill with socket be smoother/better?

Phil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Maybe a drill with socket be smoother/better?

Phil

If you can get a drill with low enough rpm and enough torque, then yes it would be more suitable.

Of course...people elsewhere usually think of the correct way to do it. You could DIY this, but if someone already makes it, just buy one instead. It's actually a great idea lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-...321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a455839e1

Still...never work under the car without proper stands

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Mental. Please do it with pics as we need another RMS pic scandal after the demise of Ge0rge's thread

If i get something sorted ill post a pic dont worry. :grinning:

after all this thinking and considering ill def be giving it a go, i def have a scissor jack somewhere to have a go at.

If you can get a drill with low enough rpm and enough torque, then yes it would be more suitable.

Of course...people elsewhere usually think of the correct way to do it. You could DIY this, but if someone already makes it, just buy one instead. It's actually a great idea lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-...321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a455839e1

Still...never work under the car without proper stands

That is a more correct way of doing it for sure!

definitely think its a good idea even if its not that original! seen this clip on youtube and thought really with abit of sense and a proper base it would be useful.

less like this fella

abit more like this gent.

bar using the wrong socket at the end LOL

Phil

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
You could wind it up by hand nearly as quick

I've seen several sissor jacks collapse. I'd only use one as a last resort on the road side

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
We weld on a wheel nut that matches what is on the car.

It's the lightest way to carry a jack in the rally car, and with the small Snap-On buzz gun we can get 4-5 full wheel changes before needing charge.

Scissor jacks are grand providing they are used alongside a little common sense and keep an eye on the angles as they raise. Served us incredibly well over the years.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Slightly different though @PeteMoore, in that use the wheel is off the hub for a few seconds. You would never consider working on a car using the same method

Last edited:

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Slightly different though @PeteMoore, in that use the wheel is off the hub for a few seconds. You would never consider working on a car using the same method

So basically so long as coupled with axle stands, its should be grand.

Phil

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo

Phil

One gave way on me last year whilst holding one corner of a GT up so unless you can benchpress it don't lie under it.

Safety first!

they_did_not_read_the_safety_manual_39.gif

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.