fuel pipe questions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Alright all, replacing the fuel pipes in the rear of the porsche and not sure what approach to take. I have 2 types back there:

- low pressure stuff so return pipe, breather pipes etc.
- high pressure from fuel pump outlet to the hardpipe that runs to the front.

For the low pressure stuff I was going to use a mx of 10mm and 16mm braided pipe. I can have cotton braided (like OEM) or stainless braided. Stainless braided is 5x the price but I dont need much so wondering is it worth the extra.

For the high pressure Ill either buy new OEM pipes or have some made. Dont need aero fittings so is it possible to buy regular brass fittings (or whatever they are made of) and make my own up? Or even would someone make up new ones if I gave them the old ones?

cheers all.

high pressure ones:

$_57.JPG

low pressure ones:

tank_fit_7.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
For the low pressure just use the cotton braided stuff, no need for stainless braided. For the high pressure I am sure there is somewhere that can make them up for you, @stevieturbo might know?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Any of the braided stuff make sure and use the Teflon lined one. I personally prefer the nylon braided stuff but for anything bigger than AN4 is silly money.

The high pressure stuff can be made up with kunifer pipe and unions off eBay. Just check the degree of flare required and what threads the unions are.

The alternative there is the likes of Pirtek or Zero hydraulics, but you will have to make sure your pipe lengths are correct as they crimp the ends onto the pipe.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
ok just to bump is this type of connector suitable for the OUTPUT of a 4bar pump?

banjo.JPG

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It's metal, it will be fine. And regulator dictates pressure used, not the pump.

As for the cotton overbraid hose, having used some recently on my own and came across other cars with it...it really does seem a lot of it is complete and utter *****.

IMO use only Gates or a proper branded hose for flexible fuel lines.

I'm sure pretty much anything could be made DIY given the vast range of fittings available though.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Having some trouble getting a replacement for this part:

M16x1.5 male end and 8mm hose on other end. I have the hose ordered but cant fit this bit to mate the hose to the fuel filter. Straight, 45deg and 90deg should all work but cant find anything (45 preferred obviously).

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Have you tried going down to pirtek with your bits and they'll see what they can do for you? I've found them to be very helpful in the past. Not the cheapest but gets the job done. Your fuel fitting looks very similar to a pipe/fitting they made up for me for my Rover fuel filter and they run at 3bar.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Im kinda avoiding that tbh. Ive got the two ends of the straight pipe, the banjo end for the fuel pump and some stainless braided hose (purely as the fuel hose is fairly exposed down there so want something beefy). I could reuse that bend by cutting the crimp off but not sold that its in the best shape so would rather replace it.

I also want to play about with mounting locations as the std mounts are buggered so require a little flexibility in hose length

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Would you not be better making a pick-up pipe to mount into the top of the tank and run a new aftermarket in-line pump with a whole new set up?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
What about a 45/90 to suit the hose then an adapter to the right size

Possibly yeah, but trying to keep the amount of parts to a minimum for obvious reasons (more bits to leak).

Would you not be better making a pick-up pipe to mount into the top of the tank and run a new aftermarket in-line pump with a whole new set up?

What would I gain from that Nicky? The current setup is fine as far as I can tell (porsche didnt change it much in 924/944/968 over 15 years).

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Having some trouble getting a replacement for this part:

M16x1.5 male end and 8mm hose on other end. I have the hose ordered but cant fit this bit to mate the hose to the fuel filter. Straight, 45deg and 90deg should all work but cant find anything (45 preferred obviously).

Just get a male M16x1.5 to -6 fitting.

either seal the M16 end with a dowty seal or copper/alloy washer.

then -6 Earls 700106 which is a -6 female to male barb which is a fraction over 8mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-AN6-M16...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d1248283

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/hoseends/automate.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M16-Metri...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bbca63b6

Technically the 700106 is designed for a crimp teflon hose, but as such the barb is less agressive and smaller diameter than say the push fit stuff. So it's ideal for an 8mm rubber hose, albeit a slightly tight fit.
In the link above, 700106 is straight, 709106 is 90deg, 704606 4is 5deg etc

I'm sure other hose makers like Goodridge, Aeroquip etc sell similar style fittings. I dont think Torques do though as they dont seem to offer crimp fittings, only DIY.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Ok I think Ive found a solution. I ordered this teflon hose (which in hindsight may have been a mistake, but sure):

Im concerned that the hose might not be compatible with that hose (too thick, 11.5mm outer diameter).

Sorry for the head melt this is all totally new to me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170918664953
8 mm stainless steel Braided Fuel Line 5/16"Fuel hose Hi Pressure Hi Temp Teflon

So looking on Torques I can use the following pieces (using the Teflon variants):

M16x1.5 to AN6 adapter. This will convert the fuel filter inlet to -6

$T2eC16RHJGwE9n)yTUoqBR!Qj50eQQ~~60_12.JPG

AN6 45deg bend

$(KGrHqEOKpgE3uW+oQ7dBN8ipilcb!~~_12.JPG

8mm ID stainless hose

AN6 120deg bend

$(KGrHqZHJDgE8for8cT9BPWJqJLwOw~~60_57.JPG

AN6 to M12 banjo

!CDoOB1!Bmk~$(KGrHqR,!jIE0GvHyyFwBNPM5(o,sg~~_12.JPG

Mark_C

RMS Regular
If you're using -6 fittings you need -6 hose. Especially with teflon, as the fittings clamp on the hose with an olive under the braiding

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
yeah I think I ordered that ok, the ID and OD is the same as the torques AN6 hose anyway, unless there is more to it.

also this eve I discovered the existing hose is 10mm ID, vs the 8mm I ordered. But in saying that the metal hose parts in the oem hose are around 8mm ID, so should be ok I think.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You really arent supposed to mix/match different brands as specs can vary including styles of fitting.

And with teflon hose there is no room for error or the fittings simply wont work

If you're using -6 fittings from Torques intended for their teflon hose, you should have bought their -6 teflon hose to be sure

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I still might tbh, and might jump to -8 stuff. I had ordered the hose already with the idea of using barbs and clamps but now liking the AN stuff hence why it was ordered already.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I still might tbh, and might jump to -8 stuff. I had ordered the hose already with the idea of using barbs and clamps but now liking the AN stuff hence why it was ordered already.

You cannot easily use teflon with barbs without crimping equipment.

And obviously you must buy teflon type fittings for teflon hose, ie ones with the steel compression olive inside.

If it's on the pressure side, you dont need -8 unless you're expecting to make over 7-800hp

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
right -6 it is. I managed to clean up the original mounts so the pump and filter will be going back in the original locations. So I know what I need to make it work (y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
right ok another setback. cleaning up the hard pipe for the fuel return and it has a pinhole in it. so the pipe needs chopped and the connector moved back. What kind of connector can I use to join to a pipe with no flare at the end?

I dont think my brake pipe flaring kit would cut it this time. Ive seen compression fitting mentioned for fuel pipes but cant seem to find any for sale.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Push the rubber hose on, put a clip on it. Job done.

Return is low pressure, there are no worries about flares.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
No reason whatsoever to double clamp the return.

Even some OEM's just use cheap rubber and clips as opposed to proper efi rated hose and good quality clamps for the return

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.