Wanted: Aluminium sheet

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
Looking for a sheet of this stuff around 2mm thick, 2m x 1m or there about.
Off cuts, rough cuts anything.

I've phoned around a couple of places looking a sheet but nowhere seems to do the above size.
any idea's on where to get it either

Cheers

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I may be after a wee bit too of you want me to chip in. Roughly the same size

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I get all my metal sheets, rods and so on from Scott and Stinson Engineering in Coleraine. They stock some rather large sheets of stainless and alloy so I'd think they could sort you out.

http://www.rectoryforge.co.uk/

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Probably best to just call in to some fabrication places.

Or Aalco will sell full 2.4x1.2m sheets of whatever you want. Alloy isnt overly expensive.

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
We have some alu in stock. 0.7mm, 2 & 3mm. Plenty of offcuts- pretty sure there's some 2mm offcuts. Is it actually 2x1 you need?

I'll check in the morning if you're not sorted by then

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
No not really, max height I think would be 200mm and lenght would be 600mm a couple of sections like that or round about there....?

Last edited:

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I'll find out what size I'd need after johnm is sorted, enough to make a radiator shroud and front under tray

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
The place Mckinnon in dundonald is a laser cutter and he will have off cuts or cut you whatever you want.

From a plate 10cm square to a full sheet.

We use him all the time for work, actually picking up a big load of stuff this morning from him.

For reference, they can laser up to 15mm steel, 12mm stainless and 6mm aluminium plate within 0.2mm tolerance.

They also do folding. Ill fire some pictures up later when I go round to see the bits

Mark_C

RMS Regular
As above, they're (aalco) probably about the biggest supplier there is in the UK so plenty of choice

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
The place Mckinnon in dundonald is a laser cutter and he will have off cuts or cut you whatever you want.

From a plate 10cm square to a full sheet.

We use him all the time for work, actually picking up a big load of stuff this morning from him.

For reference, they can laser up to 15mm steel, 12mm stainless and 6mm aluminium plate within 0.2mm tolerance.

They also do folding. Ill fire some pictures up later when I go round to see the bits

Can they do rebates, chamfers and counter sunk holes on the cut parts?
I'm looking some 2,3 & 6mm aluminium parts machined for a custom intake.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Can they do rebates, chamfers and counter sunk holes on the cut parts?
I'm looking some 2,3 & 6mm aluminium parts machined for a custom intake.

If it's a few off they can I think

They don't like big quantities of countersunk holes but can do them. They paid us to countersink 2 holes in about 600 plates they laser cut lol

Send me a sketch or cad model if you have it and I'll fire it over to him as I've to ring him on Monday anyway

If not we could machine the parts after laser cutting

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
I've just sent the files to them for quote after being on the website. I can stick the files on ovedrive later and send you a link if you are interested in them.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Why not just get it cut locally?

There is many laser and water cut places locally

I was at a company today who have a new 5 axis water jet 6m x 5m table size. Not much they couldn't cut with that
Because the problem with 9/10 companies in NI is they don't seem to want your business, they are so slow and their customer service is so abysmal it's a painful experience to go near them.

A friend tried several places here recently to get parts water cut, not an inconsequential order size, and the devil may care attitude of the companies effectively drove his business to England.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Why not just get it cut locally?

There is many laser and water cut places locally

I was at a company today who have a new 5 axis water jet 6m x 5m table size. Not much they couldn't cut with that
Surely too dear to run that beast for small parts/orders

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Surely too dear to run that beast for small parts/orders

He was telling me his machine was off once in 6 months running 24/7, then it's down for a week for service, it loads and unloads itself so he programmes it during the day for the night and leaves it to it.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Because the problem with 9/10 companies in NI is they don't seem to want your business, they are so slow and their customer service is so abysmal it's a painful experience to go near them.

A friend tried several places here recently to get parts water cut, not an inconsequential order size, and the devil may care attitude of the companies effectively drove his business to England.

Anything I've ask this guy to cut has been very quick, maybe because we use him for big orders in work

Tho several times I've rang up and said I need 2 off say plate 150mm square plate cut urgently to finish a job and he has had then cut within the hour and that's ibly worth like £10 and he never conplains

Suppose it's down to finding that I've good business out of the 10.

We used another guy before and everything was an issue, took ages, didn't reply to emails etc hence why we changed

As above his machine is always going, water cut can be a it harder to get someone to do and more expensive.

Out of interest what thickness was gd getting water jet?

We normally get anything up to 15mm lasered, 15-25/30 plasma cut and bigger than that flame cut, tho if machinig the 15-20/30 something as for it flame cut as plasma leaves a really hard edge on it and it wrecks the cutters in the mill very quickly

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.