What would cause 2 broken springs

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Have my eye on a set of coilovers , they are a reasonsable brand, but both front springs are broken,

1. Is there anything other than mounting a kerb at about 100mph that would break two front springs ?
  2. And if that was the case are they likely to be in useable condition with the springs replaced ?

we are talking about 25-30% of the cost new and they dont look that old.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Rear spring in my Alhambra broke after I had 7 people in it. Weird that the spring only broke just after everyone got out.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
cool, so it could be just a case of crappy springs then , well thats good, i don't mind replacing a couple of springs provided the actual coilover isn't junk

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
very unusual for font springs on a set of coil overs to go, rears perhaps but fronts no.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
What brand are they?

They are Eibach pro street s , made by KW

very unusual for font springs on a set of coil overs to go, rears perhaps but fronts no.

apparently it was a non car related incident

Got this reply

I took them off before I sold the car as I put it back to stock. They were in storage and unfortunately something heavy fell on them causing them to crack. When I bought the car it had an invoice for over £1000.

There is no other damage at all. You are more than welcome to come and have a look.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
They are Eibach pro street s , made by KW

apparently it was a non car related incident

Got this reply

Possible I guess, I am a big eibach fan and wouldn't use anything else truth be told. KW also top notch

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
I had BCs on my last Impreza .. For 100 miles and they went back to type r shocks and teins , but I think the spring rates were much too hard which ruined the coilovers experience for me , every where I read says this particular setup is very compliant and close to stock which is the only reason in considering it

Replacement springs are available and from what I can see you can choose different spring rates also

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I had eibachs on a V10 M5 & V8 M3 and thats why, ride was exactly the same as standard. Everything else was imo too harsh

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I had AVO's on the fiesta and I broke a couple of front springs

johnm

RMS Regular
Hahaha, the way I hit a speed bump last night in my brothers wagon would nearly do it!
Didnt see the thing at all and it just launched.
Bro wasnt pleased lol, wee punto took it well though.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
seems common enough then, i didnt realise they failed as often (y)

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
apparently this was an off the car incident, dunno if that makes it better or worse lol

ryanpatterson

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline R33 Gtst
I couldn't see them snapping if something heavy fell on them. Suppose it depends how heavy the thing is though.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
I couldn't see them snapping if something heavy fell on them. Suppose it depends how heavy the thing is though.

sceptical myself, but no bids as yet , so may well snip them cheap and take a punt ... we will see

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Anything that's heavy enough to break both springs would have damaged the coilover as well.

I could spend all day hitting a set of coilovers with a sledgehammer and the shocks would go before the springs I reckon.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Not to worry he just ended the auction early. :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.