Used car issue

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Would that be a guy called Roy by any chance?
Spoke with him earlier and he said "the old tyres were removed because they where scrap". I said "no mate, what you fitted is scrap!" We both lol'd which broke the ice a little. He went on to tell me the Haidas cost around £38 each. So that might explain shy I'm not overly impressed with the tyres! :grinning:

Roy indeed, he has been there a life time and theres nothing he doesn't know when it comes to tyres. Couldn't fault him to be honest so no point in any animosity towards him at all really as I say, he will only being doing what he is told to do.

Wayne D

RMS Regular
OP
Wayne D
Drives
Family Wagon
Roy indeed, he has been there a life time and theres nothing he doesn't know when it comes to tyres. Couldn't fault him to be honest so no point in any animosity towards him at all really as I say, he will only being doing what he is told to do.

Yeah to be fair he was fine and once we chatted a bit he was happy to help, I'm sure he was told before we spoke to be warned as some annoying clown was on the phone crying about his four new tyres not being good enough! Lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Yeah to be fair he was fine and once we chatted a bit he was happy to help, I'm sure he was told before we spoke to be warned as some annoying clown was on the phone crying about his four new tyres not being good enough! Lol

Probably, either way he will fight your corner if he can. He would much rather be billing out Michelins finest despite it being part of the same group.

gsmith

RMS Regular
Everything has to be cheap cheap if it doesn't really need it but it might need it in a month fire it out. Rain is a car dealers favourite polish. Sunny tyres can be used in the rain despite the name. If the customer didn't see that big hole in the bumper don't fix it. Sun splitting the trees quick power hose MINT. covers a few Iam sure @chris_b Lol.

Jason

RMS Regular
Everything has to be cheap cheap if it doesn't really need it but it might need it in a month fire it out. Rain is a car dealers favourite polish. Sunny tyres can be used in the rain despite the name. If the customer didn't see that big hole in the bumper don't fix it. Sun splitting the trees quick power hose MINT. covers a few Iam sure @chris_b Lol.

lol i've been doing it wrong all these years, I wouldnt dream of showing anyone a wet car!

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Does no one here understand how a car dealer actually operates lol ????

Yes I do. Bought a few used cars here and there. But if the tyres were good enough/legal for a test drive at the time of sale, they should've still been on the car at time of pick up or the fact that the tires were illegal or in some other way unfit to remain on the car and therefore needing changed should have been disclosed, ESPECIALLY since the tires were pointed out to the salesman as an attractive feature by the buyer at the time of the test drive. At the very least its poor communication. At most, its total shenanigans and those tyres are on an employees car or on another car at the lot to help with a sale.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
@VEN©M tyre tricks are the least one should be concerned about when buying a used car from a dealer, plenty of other more serious shenanigans.

A lot of dealers take a car as a trade in and it goes straight onto the line. Then when someone agrees to buy it they give it a quick oil change and look over before sending it out, nothing more. Chances are no one even noticed the tyres until the car was up on the ramp getting the oil service.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
I had this problem today. Sold a car the other day to a lady who is about to do her test in a few weeks. She was collecting it today and this morning I just wasnt happy about the front tyres as they were probably just under 3mm. Thought if she goes out and slides into the back of sumbody they'd be back blaming me for bad tyres. Didnt have to do it as car was perfectly legal. 2 New Budget tyres and one delighted customer!!
Saying that on a GTi I might have went for middle of the road tyres like Kumho but def wouldnt be fitting no Pirellis...

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
@Wayne D did you actually check the tread depth of the tyres despite commenting the make. anybody in the tyre business putting £38 cheap ***** on a car like that needs a word.
if you bought off the dealer I think you did tbh I don't think I'd ever buy anything off them

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
@Wayne D did you actually check the tread depth of the tyres despite commenting the make. anybody in the tyre business putting £38 cheap ***** on a car like that needs a word.
if you bought off the dealer I think you did tbh I don't think I'd ever buy anything off them

But the point is and what Burns has highlighted is that the dealer has done nothing wrong. 95% of people would be happy they got 4 New Tyres on their car. Most people just think black and round....

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I haven't read through the whole thread, so this may have been answered.

Did you check the tread depth when you seen the car and test drove it?

Wayne D

RMS Regular
OP
Wayne D
Drives
Family Wagon
It was one of those things guy, when going to view a used car your trying to look at every thing at once. I remember seeing 4 Pirelli tyres all around and I didn't think they where anywhere being near done. They weren't new but iirc they weren't at a stage that I was suggesting a new set to be fitted as part if the deal.

As said a lot of it is down to poor service from the sale team/service department. A quick phone call before I collected the car to explain why they where changing the tyres and for what would have saved all this hassle and phone calls.

I know it's only a Golf to most viewing it, but I paid good money for it and I think it's bad form they never informed me they where fitting budget tyres to my car let alone a fairly respected car dealer fitting those dirt tyres in the first place. I understand they are trying to save money where they can, but surly it's up to them to ensure all their costs are covered such as tyres etc from the moment they trade the car in to the moment they advertise it on the parking lot!

I'll ring again at 9am and hopefully get somewhere.

I looked last night and Pirelli Rosso can got off black circles for £87, and they wanted £65 along with my Haidas to upgrade. Lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
To be fair that's still cheaper than the £87 off black circles, plus they'll be fitted! The Haidas didn't actually cost you anything.

I agree though that I think the Pirellis should've been left on. It's a tricky 1 though, I can see what others are saying in that if anything Hurst actually did a good thing replacing the tyres without being asked, but to someone who knows about these things you'd rather have a good make with less tread!

Even if they could give you the Pirelli back? I'm sure they're sitting somewhere still.

Jason

RMS Regular
I had this problem today. Sold a car the other day to a lady who is about to do her test in a few weeks. She was collecting it today and this morning I just wasnt happy about the front tyres as they were probably just under 3mm. Thought if she goes out and slides into the back of sumbody they'd be back blaming me for bad tyres. Didnt have to do it as car was perfectly legal. 2 New Budget tyres and one delighted customer!!
Saying that on a GTi I might have went for middle of the road tyres like Kumho but def wouldnt be fitting no Pirellis...

Had the same issue myself, young fella buying a car bit clueless to be fair, we wernt happy with front tyres so put some sunnys or the likes on after the deal was done, nothing wrong with them and better than what came off it, again did he notice they were budgets? No was he happy, yes.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Annoying, yes. But think if they had left the Pirellis on you would be looking into changing them in a month anyway no doubt. So if nothing else works, I'd consider taking up their offer of upgrading them.

Wayne D

RMS Regular
OP
Wayne D
Drives
Family Wagon
Spoke with the sakes guy this morning and he's to get back to me with a figure on Monday.

So I'll keep you posted, it is a sticky one and you can see it from both dude, good and bad. But given the choice I'd have preferred part worn Pirelli's over the sporty Haidas. :grinning:

EP82JM

RMS Regular
As someone said above the sales guy won't have known too much about it,when it was sold the car would have went in for a safety check and the person carrying it out would have noted down that the tyres were getting low.

I'd keep on at them,when my dad got his 370z it came with low tread on two tyres,after numerous phone calls all ending in "leave it with me" the dealer fitted 2 top brand tyres which were 100+ each. Just keep on at them regarding safety bla bla bla.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
To be honest, Pirelli's aren't a great tyre anyway, I'd rather them give me some money back to put towards some good tyres like Supersports.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I "Haida" say this to you. The dealer should have had the decency to tell you that he had changed the tyres, apart from that he hasn't done anything wrong and you have little comeback. If he's offering a deal take it.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.