Used car issue

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
To be honest, Pirelli's aren't a great tyre anyway, I'd rather them give me some money back to put towards some good tyres like Supersports.

Never been impressed with Pirelli's myself, found they were crap in the wet, and screeched with any sort of vigorous steering input in the dry. On a side note I had to replace one of my Avons due to a puncture yesterday, £106 and I only put four on at Easter :worried:

KevM

RMS Regular
Go and lift you're 4 1.6mm Pirelli's out of the skip at Hurst's and wise up, it'll save the dealer paying to have them disposed of for you.

This thread is actually idiotic

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Hardly idiotic when the 4 tyres are the only part of the car touching the ground.. but the dealer won't care as they put 4 'legal' tyres.

gsmith

RMS Regular
What's idiotic is putting cheap ditch finders on a gti golf. Again that's not aimed at any of the workers as they will be doing what all workers in the trade do and be doing as there told.

gsmith

RMS Regular
I've many a time put the cheapest crappy tyres on cars I don't agree with it but it's not up to me. Iam just giving instructions.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Go and lift you're 4 1.6mm Pirelli's out of the skip at Hurst's and wise up, it'll save the dealer paying to have them disposed of for you.

This thread is actually idiotic

There was one tyre on the car even below 1mm, it was completely slick!

pablo

RMS Moderator
I'm with Wayne the car was changed from the time of viewing which wasnt right IMO. I can totally understand his frustration.

Also not right that the salesman didn't mention the tyres were under limits although in fairness he probably didn't know.

I guess its a 50/50 really. Wayne should have checked the tyres when viewing and noticed lack of tread and factored that into any offer and the salesman should have phoned to say you know what these tyres aren't good enough - I can give you a free set of budgets or do a good deal on a new set. The offer of 65 each prob isn't too bad really so maybe just chalk it up and enjoy the car.

KevM

RMS Regular
Any dealer has a duty of care to ensure that the car leaves them in a road-worthy condition.

Many dealers will only health-check a car prior to it going on the pitch and will only prep the car once its sold. No point in spending money reconditioning a car that might not sell, its dead money if they end up having to trade or auction the car once its had its day on the pitch (remember, cars dont go up in value).

On preparing the car for sale, the guys must have decided that the car needed tyres and if they didnt replace them, you'd be back complaining in a short space of time (the irony).

Its a used car supermarket you bought the car from. Im sure it was good value, as were the new tyres they fitted. Im sure the likes of Hollybrook etc might have fitted 4 premium tyres for you, but you'd have paid for the attention to detail.

The dealer is under no obligation to fit premium tyres, just legal ones!

Last edited:

KevM

RMS Regular
If you got a free tank of petrol, would you complain to the dealer that it wasn't Super Unleaded & they should had of left the light on?

Only askin.... :grinning:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Tbh if I was checking a car over things that can add a fair expense I wud be keen to clarify about...

ELAINES motor was low on the get tyres and before we put deposit down we had it agreed for them to b replaced

If just be paying to upgrade them if they're doin a reasonable offer and leave it down to experience

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
What @pablo said above (y)

Take it as a lesson learned, and move on. We all make mistakes, this one is no biggie really.

I can understand the frustration - you could have checked the car better, and they could probably have communicated better. But not really worth souring the ownership of a car you otherwise like. And the offer of £65 a corner actually sounds reasonable.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I've really just browsed over this, but I worked in dealerships over 12 years, EVERY one of them would only put the car through a check once it was sold (unless there was a shortage of work) and many a thing has been changed on a car from the day the customer agreed to buy it.

By most used car standards, any tyre below 3mm has to be replaced to allow the vehicle to maintain it's "fit for purpose" Values for trading standards.

Yeah they fitted crap tyres, as already stated most people do in this country. But I don't see anything they done wrong, they have just presumed you are like 90% of customers and would be happy with good tread regardless of make.

Wayne D

RMS Regular
OP
Wayne D
Drives
Family Wagon
Well all sorted today, they have agreed to fit two tyres for free and if I still want to replace the other two then the offer still stands for £65 each to upgrade. So happy enough to leave it at that.

I'll mark it down to experience, but still think it was a little under handed changing a part of the car and not mentioning it after a deal was done. But as said I'm sure 90% of other people wouldn't have noticed it or cared.

So now to enjoy the ownership of my new car. :grinning: cheers for all the replies, I can see it from both sides of the story, but I guess when it comes down to "your money", you tend to take a different look on things.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Great, seems like they met in the middle (y)

Sounds like a fair enough deal. Take up the offer and get all four changed.

Happy motoring :grinning:

Wayne D

RMS Regular
OP
Wayne D
Drives
Family Wagon
Great, seems like they met in the middle (y)

Sounds like a fair enough deal. Take up the offer and get all four changed.

Happy motoring :grinning:

Yeah getting four fitted on Thursday and that will be all sorted, I'll call in while I'm down just to say cheers for sorting the issue. At the end of the day I'm not going to fall out with any one, as it was one if those things.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.