Quote for some work

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

bert682

RMS Member
Drives
Seat Ibiza
Hi guys

After a quote for some work on my MK4 Ibiza

Need to have a front drivers wheel bearing replaced and the rear bushes of the front wishbone on both sides.

I have the parts.

Any ideas of what sort of money I am looking at? Or if anyone has the names / numbers of a mechanic they recommend.

Thanks

Sonny

RMS Photographer
For a rough idea, paid £50 to fit front arms + TRE about this time last year

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
Ok so got two different quotes.

One at £25 a side and one at £70 a side.

Cheaper one says the wishbones dont need to come out where as the more expensive one says they do.

Im a bit of a Haynes man and it simply says "Take it to a professional" :grinning:

Does one of those seem more likely to be a fair price, I expect a bit of difference but for the difference in work (frame in vs frame out) Im a bit confused!

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Are you installing solid Cupra bushes in the LCAs?

@Harry done mine in my Fabia and im sure he could get you a price for the bearing as well.

He's a mechanic at SERE so will be familiar with your car

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
Are you installing solid Cupra bushes in the LCAs?

@Harry done mine in my Fabia and im sure he could get you a price for the bearing as well.

He's a mechanic at SERE so will be familiar with your car

Yes getting those done. Ill shoot him a message

EP2

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R FN2
Give Josh at JSM a phone. Easy paid and does top quality work: 07936 272154

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
Give Josh at JSM a phone. Easy paid and does top quality work: 07936 272154

Thanks for that. I should have mentioned I need to stay around Belfast so I can get to work etc. JSM is in Armagh right?

Reactions: EP2

EP2

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R FN2
Thanks for that. I should have mentioned I need to stay around Belfast so I can get to work etc. JSM is in Armagh right?
Ahhh right, might be a bit far to come then. Aye he is out the Armagh road beside Traynors

crautos

RMS Regular
Drives
e60
Wishbones do have to be removed as they're the press in bush into the aluminium subframe. Labour for your 2 bearings and 2 rearmost bushes with us would be £70 all in we're in moira so not a million miles away if your stuck.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Wishbones do have to be removed as they're the press in bush into the aluminium subframe. Labour for your 2 bearings and 2 rearmost bushes with us would be £70 all in we're in moira so not a million miles away if your stuck.

Yeah those rear wishing bushes are the same on the Polo and Fabia and need pressed into the subframe as crautos says. The original bush design is flawed though. There have been revisions released from the likes of Meyle who make a HD version of the bush or Febi Bilstein who make a solid bush with an aluminium casing rather than plastic, both of which should last longer.

The bearing should be a doddle though as it's a complete hub with the ABS sensor built in that just screws on. No pressing needed.

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
What side of belfast are you at, almost every garage will be able to carry out this work, it's not a difficult job.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
The bearing on an ibiza is a gen2 bearing, which is secured with a ring, they need pressed in with special tools or it damages the bearing. But as mentioned get the bushings from an ibiza cupra, Audi a2 or even the mk5 golf and you'll be grand!

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
What side of belfast are you at, almost every garage will be able to carry out this work, it's not a difficult job.
I'm south Belfast. Yea got a few quotes just big ranges in price. Decided on the dealer route. Actually a fair price when I take account for what I was quoted.

They pick up and drop the car off and 2 years warranty so its worth the small extra for me.

Bearing I wasny worried over as I replaced the near side one a while back myself. Seems those bushes take the most of the time.

Something so small....

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
Another vote for @Harry. He's a VAG master tech so you know youre not getting some cowboy!

If you are not close to Lisburn shoot @AIRFORCE1 a PM ...
Yea I talked to him but he is flat out at the min. Will keep in mind for future jobs though. Thanks for the tip all the same

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
OK so got my drivers wheel bearing replaced today.... Still getting that whirring noise. Thats both fronts replaced. Also tried swapping the wheels but no joy. Totally baffled now.

Anyone I can bring the car to and take a spin in tomorrow and get a diagnosis?

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
It doesn't sound very clicky the way a CV would go. Kicks in around 35 and increases with Road speed not revs. If I drop into neutral it's still there.

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
I got them balanced and tracked. Would it show up on a balance? Or is there any means of confirming this, thought swapping would cut that out

bert682

RMS Member
OP
B
Drives
Seat Ibiza
I'm think tyres now too. I cant really complain to the dealer... I just asked them to fit and not inspect. So guess I'm out of luck there.

I was pretty sure it was the bearing. In hindsight checking tyres with another set couldn't have hurt.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.