Speeding..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilM

RMS Regular
The world might end if they did.

bit of a daft post but it is just how i feel.

Folk i know who struggle with driving (and life in general due to mental short comings) tend to drive rather slow anyway.

so raising the speed limit isnt going to affect them, and the odd time they venture onto those dangerous dark country roads they can just get used to less folk queing behind them as the brake for every slight bend in the road.

And all the capable people will have more legal leeway to get round these plebs and old folk safely.

please quote and take the piss out of me :grinning:

Phil

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
And says my driving is dangerous (open road with little/no traffic) when he was driving a car with a headlight out.
I didn't even question anything at the time, but thinking about it now, it doesn't sound right!

I have heard several times that if the vehicle stopping you has a headlight/foglight out then any charges they try to press are invalid?

just says speed in excess of 90mph on the slip and that I'm getting 3 points and a fine.

I was told by a policeman who had stopped me for speeding that anything over 90mph goes straight to court, as the offence is too great to deal with at the side of the road and warrants a greater penalty than 3 points and £60 fine.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Sounds like you are getting off lightly. I'd thank my lucky stars, pay the fine and move on. With so many road deaths this year and the officer stating you were doing 90+ it's never going to end well in court.

Ultimately you were on that road and stopped for excessive speed. After that it's the officer and his mates word against yours.

As for other people's comments about incompetence when writing out a form etc etc. I assume they have never made a mistake at work....or are a shining example on the road. Everyone makes mistakes, it's what makes us human.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I have heard several times that if the vehicle stopping you has a headlight/foglight out then any charges they try to press are invalid?

I assume you laughed out loud when they told you this?!?! Their headlight being out doesn't negate you from your rresponsibilities...speeding or dangerous driving is still speeding or dangerous driving regardless of the cops having one headlight out

Cess

RMS Staff
I once got stopped by a policeman who caught me hand braking my 1 litre Polo in the snow. He asked me if I was Colin McRae.

Needless to say, I didn't get ticketed because of his inability to differentiate me from a (then) global motorsport personality.

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
93 in a 70 = 3 points
49 in a 30 = 3 points

no hard and fast rules as far as I can tell.

To the OP Id seek advice given there is no actual speed recorded. But if you have no points Id just take the 3 if its looking anyway iffy as by the time youll pay the solicitor etc (you still pay even if you win) then its not worth the grief. most insurance companies dont care about 3 points anyway so really only 60 quid out of pocket.

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
I would of thought excess of 90 would of been 6 points, so id be taking 3 all day long. Take it to court and they will probably through the book at you!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
bit of a daft post but it is just how i feel.

Folk i know who struggle with driving (and life in general due to mental short comings) tend to drive rather slow anyway.

so raising the speed limit isnt going to affect them, and the odd time they venture onto those dangerous dark country roads they can just get used to less folk queing behind them as the brake for every slight bend in the road.

And all the capable people will have more legal leeway to get round these plebs and old folk safely.

please quote and take the piss out of me :grinning:

Phil

The problem there though...is if you allow, or maybe encourage dimwits to drive faster in certain areas....combined with the other dimwits driving even slower. Those two groups don't go hand in hand in the same road space.
It may be the slow driver that actually causes the accident, usually by pulling out in front of another car etc, but then the higher speed may make any accident worse. Or those wishing to travel faster may take more risks to get around those driving slow ( Asda/Tesco HGV's being a prime example...despite them obeying the law )
People will take risks to get past these road blocks so they dont die of old age before getting to their destination.

I dont see a need for most limits to be raised, but there clearly needs to be more discretion used as to whether speed at any given time and location is actually deemed a problem and worth speaking to any drivers. But speed is almost completely irrelevant to the dangerous driving that actually causes most accidents. Which is the most ridiculous part and why their constant bull**** anti-speed approach is leading to such a huge increase in road deaths. They're completely ignoring actual causes of accidents and deaths.
So camera operators need to take note, that placing their camera on wide open stretches of road with zero accident history at that location, typically overtaking lanes etc....they deserve a severe beating for being assholes and serving no road safety purpose whatsoever.

As for the case in hand, it all smells of bull****.

I dont believe for one second a cop has the authority to give you 3 points and a standard fine for doing what he states as excessive speed and believes 90+ whether no evidence or not.
IMO that would have to be a court appearance if he wishes to pursue it where any punishment is out of his control.
In England you'd probably get a slap on the wrist and a fine. Over here they'd probably string you up by the balls.

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
Just off the phone with them, 3 points taken and a £60 fine, the girl on the phone wouldn't give me a straight answer on the criteria for speed awareness course, or the fact that my details have been recorded incorrectly.

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
The criteria for speed awareness is if you aren't over 10% +4mph which is:

70+7+4= 81mph in a 70

So if youre stopped between 70-81mph you can be offered points/speed awareness/court but anything over 81 and speed awareness isnt considered. But even then if you've previous speeding convictions I don't think you're eligible for it even if you fall within the 70-81 margin.

I thought that the 10% +4 was when they would stop you I.e after 81 mph they would pull you in? Maybe I made that up in my head.

azzamut

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo ,GS430
I only got 3 points and 60 fine for 97 in a 70! Wasn't eligible for an awarneness course. Though I had already been done for speeding, and just got rid of the first set of 3 points a few weeks before getting caught again.

pablo

RMS Moderator
noone really knows I dont think. too many "facts" about that all differ. 10%+2, 10%+4, zero, all sorts

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
Even the police don't know as I got my last three points from a cop who said anything over 89 was an automatic day out.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
No matter what it is if a cop wants to do you for 75 in a 70 he will. Theres a lot of nonsense talked about if hes not wearing his hat, if his granny is called isabelle he cant do you. If an off duty cop wearing a bikini can do you for an offence I dont think him wearing a hat really matters.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.