Ollies Volvo 340 Winter Slider. Project De-silver.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ollie

RMS Regular
A friend bought this car not too long ago but never got the time to do anything to it! I told him id call up for a nosy as id never looked round one before... Long story short i bought it...

Someone in the past had painted it silver... Everything... Mirrors, aerial, bumpers, spoiler, door handles, all trim! So i started by painting a few things black and getting it mot'd.

The plan is a bit of a "Fast" road project. Driving the 530d everyday has made me miss jamming gears. This is much more fun to fly about in. Also i've never really had a car on the road that owes me so little, a bit of an excuse to go a bit mad.

Through MOT and then a cheap set of ally cats bought. Land rover shocks were in by this stage.

10500390_923028407710575_9086933921611422175_n.jpg

They werent wide enough so got a set of 7 inch wide minilites

10441092_934602996553116_8309024696542984118_n.jpg

New Clutch in, it was about this time i got a nice wee classic policy :grinning:

10410183_936425823037500_8138030444347155686_n.jpg

Banded 2 steels for drifting

10173589_944387925574623_5301895307682884488_n.jpg

And lifted a parts car !!!!!!

Really looking forward to swapping bumpers etc over! I was also going to weld a diff but i soon realised how well these things slide without one. It loves big wet roundabouts!!! :lol: :lol:

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Love the 340, dad had a 440 and was a smashing car

Volvo%20440%20(1).jpg

always wanted one when I was 17 in silver with the half whale tail spoler lol!

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Any pics of the banded wheels on it yet

Love old volvos

Cheers Chris, no not yet! Bloody uni work getting in the way of my fun! Ill fire a few up when i do.

Renault valver engine goes straight on the mounts of these or so I was told back in the 90,
s is that balls or can anyone confirm truth in it. Great car would love it myself as a daily
Edit had a wee look there true enough straight swap but only on the 1.7 chassis
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/51419-clio-16v-engine-transplant-volvo-340-a.html

Yes so ive been told! Would make them a very sharp wee car. Both mine are 1.7s so plenty of bits for the swap, it would be hard to resist an engine or a donor car at the right money.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
2.3 Turbo fits in fairly well too ;)

That's the 360 that the 2.3 fits straight into. It's the Renault block that bolts straight onto the 340 1.7 bell housing and engine mounts. There's fair difference in the 340 and the 360.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Good to see another classic Volvo on here. I like it with the minilites. Get yourself over onto the Volvo forums and put a post up there as well.

j44nty

RMS Regular
Love welded diffs on my daily i always swop mine back in after mot and for all the scare stories about them if you can drive a rear wheel drive ok and take it handy in the wet they are spot on to live with. Even when i had my s13 i fitted a kazz uprated diff but i just preferred old weldee so stuck it back in lol. Health to steer. Watch out for understeer before the over and stepping out on deceleration.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Love welded diffs on my daily i always swop mine back in after mot and for all the scare stories about them if you can drive a rear wheel drive ok and take it handy in the wet they are spot on to live with. Even when i had my s13 i fitted a kazz uprated diff but i just preferred old weldee so stuck it back in lol. Health to steer. Watch out for understeer before the over and stepping out on deceleration.

I always feel like it's very hard on a car especially in the dry. No power steering as well lol so it's a good workout!

In the wet though you can't beat it, good predictable sliding!

Thankfully it's not the daily but I find myself jumping in it more and more.

Fatman

RMS Regular
Drives
A broken golf
Nick Hill of Hill Power… Where did you dig that up? That engine looks a little familiar.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Nick Hill of Hill Power… Where did you dig that up? That engine looks a little familiar.

Yeah, it's a hybrid f7r with 1.8 head. Not sure of the benefits of this. Came out of a clio in Carrickfergus, I think it's been out of the car a while now.

Fatman

RMS Regular
Drives
A broken golf
No real benefits… the Williams head has bigger valves but are like hens teeth. The bottom end is probably a Megane one… still a good setup all the same :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.