VW Touareg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jason

RMS Regular
Anyone much experience of these?

Been looking specifically at the 07-09 shape 3.0 Altitude facelift model, apart from the prop shaft bearing issue which isnt a big deal anymore has anyone lived with one on a daily basis, real life mpg etc

Also do the altitudes all come with xenons as standard or are they optional?

TSPORT

RMS Regular
Drives
///M3
The Mrs sister had the V6 Altitude model, She loved it, nice big bus, The only complaint she had with it was that it was very thirsty, I used it for a few days once and heading up the hill towards Mallusk I could get the MPG computer into single figures lol

Didn't seem to give any issues, Hers was the 2009 model.

Jason

RMS Regular
OP
J
I'm sure city driving wouldnt be good for mpg but most of my journeys would be 20mile+ each way, did I read right 33mpg average?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Not sure if they revised the engine, but dad has a 2006 3.0 sport the past 5 years or so. Its thirsty. DPF has gave some bother more because its auto and never revs its self hard enough unless you really go out and give it some (which he doesnt) Can be thirsty. hard on tires and brakes, calipers needed rebuilt, but expected with the weight. pulls our near 3 ton boat/trailer no issues, id say you need a 30 mile trip each way before you start to see any decent MPG, thirsty until there warm

Conor

RMS Regular
I've had a black 2008 Altitude 3.0 TDI 240 for 6 months or so now. They're fantastic if you can swallow a couple of the costs involved with them, servicing, tax etc. Easily the comfiest big yoke I've ever owned or driven, lifts it's heels rightly when it wants and has been 100% reliable. I bought it with the prop shaft bearing needing replaced and I replaced the whole shaft with a new one for peace of mind. Xenons are optional but the Altitudes come well spec'd, Satnav, leather, heated seats, folding mirrors etc. They're still a very fresh looking big thing IMO, I've had a few people think it was a lot younger than '08!

30-32 mpg is handy enough to see, 27-30 on the motorway. BRUTAL when pushed on though. Lol Drop me a PM if you want a nosy and a drive sure.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
We've a 2012 3.0 V6 TDi.
Couldn't tell you a thing about it tho - i think I've driven it once & that was to pick it up from Donnellys!

Not much help to you lol
Good going thing from what I remember.

911c4s

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla :-)
I had one for 4 years . Great yoke if you can live with 22 mpg average. Had the 2.5 model first but found it underpowered. It was returned to dealer after 6 months of trying to fix a noise in drive train. I'd buy another and IMO better than usual x5 and range rover

big cyril

RMS Regular
We had one for about five years, 2.5tdi auto Altitude, used as a family car with occasional towing.
Problems over that time (and 60k miles) were centre bearing (fixed for £150 with me removing the shaft), failed air con compressor, £750 at VW, airbag light came on, turned out to be a wiring loom under the seat which just needed a minor repair. Other than this just normal servicing and consumables.
The interior stood up well to the daily abuse from our little ones, I could never get comfortable in the driver seat despite it moving electrically in all directions but that could be just me.
MPG was 25 average according to the computer, it didn't matter if you did 60 or 80 or were towing, it was always 25 lol.
Overall I quite liked it although you were aware it was well over two tonnes when driving (in the braking and handling, not just acceleration).
It towed very easily, they are all rated to tow 3500kg, I used it for towing about 1800kg max which it did easily.
Oh, and ours didn't have xenons, don't know if that's standard on the 3.0

Conor

RMS Regular
We had one for about five years, 2.5tdi auto Altitude, used as a family car with occasional towing.
Problems over that time (and 60k miles) were centre bearing (fixed for £150 with me removing the shaft), failed air con compressor, £750 at VW, airbag light came on, turned out to be a wiring loom under the seat which just needed a minor repair. Other than this just normal servicing and consumables.
The interior stood up well to the daily abuse from our little ones, I could never get comfortable in the driver seat despite it moving electrically in all directions but that could be just me.
MPG was 25 average according to the computer, it didn't matter if you did 60 or 80 or were towing, it was always 25 lol.
Overall I quite liked it although you were aware it was well over two tonnes when driving (in the braking and handling, not just acceleration).
It towed very easily, they are all rated to tow 3500kg, I used it for towing about 1800kg max which it did easily.
Oh, and ours didn't have xenons, don't know if that's standard on the 3.0

Funny, when I was researching them, I found that a load of times where people were saying the 2.5 was heavier on juice than the 3.0!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Neighbour behind me has the 5.0 V10 TDI and I love it. Awesome road presence, seems reliable enough and I think he runs it on bio derv successfully.

Conor

RMS Regular
image.png

This made me LOL:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.