Handbrake & Abs light on Toyota Rav4 (2000)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Vixxxen

RMS Regular
Drives
Gti Golf
Hi Guys, driving into work in the jeep today and halfway in the handbrake light and abs light came on, was a little bit of judder on the brake pedal but it went away quickly but then both my lights came on the dash, brakes and handbrake seem to be working fine , but lights wont go off ( and yes my handbrake is fully down) anyone any ideas why this would happen ? Turned it off and back on again a few mins later and they are still on the dash, rocked the car with handbrake up to make sure it was definitely working which it is , I need to drive in about an hour as I have a funeral to attend :-/ , anyone any ideas ?

Vixxxen

RMS Regular
OP
Vixxxen
Drives
Gti Golf
Will do , I read that Toyota stupidly have the same handbrake/brake fluid level light , would this equally make the abs come on ?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Most cars use the same light. I remember asking the same question years ago about my VW Vento lol

ABS unit could well be affected depending on what else is wrong as low fluid = leak. Check the fluid and go from there first of all. If the fluid isn't low then it's time to get a code reader on it.

Does the pedal sink to the floor?

Vixxxen

RMS Regular
OP
Vixxxen
Drives
Gti Golf
no pedal is grand , as is handbrake , looked like a right wab doing a few ' emergency stops' outside my work just to make sure lol

Vixxxen

RMS Regular
OP
Vixxxen
Drives
Gti Golf
got to a roundabout earlier brakes juddered , made all sorts of weird noises and then failed on me ... fabulous ;-/ feel like leaving it for 'divis hoods' lol

Vixxxen

RMS Regular
OP
Vixxxen
Drives
Gti Golf
nope its going as soon as it is fixed lol ! Apparently it could be a fault with abs module activating on & off to stop the car from skidding which is why its juddering when braking then everything up the left , as good a reason as any to get myself a new car I guess

Reactions: wes

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Get it plugged in ASAP and see what it's saying.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.