The wee Ninja..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Got myself a new toy people!!! 2007 husky smr510.
Allways wanted a supermoto and this one was too good to pass up!
maintenance is more than the ninja but it wont be used as much so im not really fussed with the 500 mile oil changes.

anyway il get some more piks up tomorrow and maby a cheeky vid of the fat single thumping away!

$_86.JPG

Attachments

• $_86 (1).JPG
    $_86 (1).JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

warren

RMS Photographer
500 mile intervals? Is that a typo haha. No side stand either. Bikes aren't supposed to be practical but damnnnn lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Nice. Was gonna buy a 510 off a work colleague but put off by the new con rod needed every so many hours. Went with a Kaboom 660 instead lol. Initial kick was enough to keep my Hornet 600 humbled (y)

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
That looks class! I'm guessing you are changing that rear tyre for one more suited to the current weather?

U still got the ninja?

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
The conrod bottom bearings are a weak point but still get a good 10-12k out of them. if maintained correctly the stock engine will do 15k before it needs a rebuild.. this is under normal riding conditions of course!!

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
That looks class! I'm guessing you are changing that rear tyre for one more suited to the current weather?

U still got the ninja?

yep still have the ninja il not get rid of that bike!! iv just ordered it a bazzaz z-fi tc.
Il be leaving these tires on as il not be riding over winter...

but if i have to il be getting some distanzia's for some greenlaning fun for my 2 wheeled fix!!

M4TT

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
That is epic. Saw you post in the wanted section recently... Where did you end up finding this?

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
That is epic. Saw you post in the wanted section recently... Where did you end up finding this?

Found it in walsall mate near birmingham. Was supposed to be arriving today but theres been a mix up so not coming till wednesday now :worried:
roll on summer for the back road hooliganism!!

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
iv had a few huskies and raced them for a lot of years. change the oil a lot and DONT rev the nuts of it when its cold. ...

i also had a mate who bought one a year or so ago and he looked after it and it exploded its guts over the road..

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
iv had a few huskies and raced them for a lot of years. change the oil a lot and DONT rev the nuts of it when its cold. ...

i also had a mate who bought one a year or so ago and he looked after it and it exploded its guts over the road..

I wouldn't be hard on any bike cold buddy. To much respect for my machines to do that!

And bad luck to your mate!

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
ay turned out the one he bought was a friday bike. once we looked into the history of the bike it had already had two heads. a bottom end and two clutches put into it.. id a bit of electrical problems with my first one and the second one was a full on ex works zupin 570 from germany. completely nuts bike to fide but looked after it well after every race and gave no bother. mind you spend a day with locktite and do every bolt on the bike cause the vibes loosen every bolt on them.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
ay turned out the one he bought was a friday bike. once we looked into the history of the bike it had already had two heads. a bottom end and two clutches put into it.. id a bit of electrical problems with my first one and the second one was a full on ex works zupin 570 from germany. completely nuts bike to fide but looked after it well after every race and gave no bother. mind you spend a day with locktite and do every bolt on the bike cause the vibes loosen every bolt on them.

yea iv some locktite at the ready but knowing the fella i got it off it wouldnt suprise me if its already done and ready to rock.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
little update on the supermoto while the ninja is tucked away for the winter!

slowly but surely getting the bike sorted as it needed a little tlc when it arrived. the clutch didn't seem to be disengaging fully and dragging slightly when in gear and clutch pulled in.
changed the oil and bled the clutch system but didnt work. checked the plates for a warped disk but they were all fine.
finally pulled the slave cylinder to find the o-ring had hardened up and allowed the piston to rock inside the cylinder causing wear and allowing the clutch fluid to weep past and not actuate fully.
it was also allowing the clutch fluid to enter the crankcase which cant be good!
swapped the gasket on the cylinder itself while i was there to for peace of mind.

IMG-20150108-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150108-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20150108-WA0006.jpg

gave the bike some new shoes to as the rear was a 160 and had a little chain rub so i went for a 150 rear and 120 front

20150105_113336.jpg
20150106_183019.jpg

found the carbon exhaust clamp was hanging on by about 3 threads of carbon so i decided to get it off and instead of paying the silly price from akrapovic i made one out of a jubilee clip and some injector hose. turned out well and holds the exhaust better than the other carbon one still on the bike.

20150104_133951.jpg
20150104_133933.jpg
20150104_134624.jpg

Next on the list is an oil and filter change when the filters arrive and to fit the new gfx i got for it!!

IMG-20150110-WA0004.jpg

20150105_113322.jpg

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
How do you find this to ride?
Did you try any other supermotos before purchasing?
DRZ/XT660?

To ride around town and in stop start traffic its a bit of a pain as it doesn't like idling to long and it gets hot. I also try and avoid any motorways as its not really suited for them, as soon as you hit twisty a and b roads tho it comes into its own. low down power and lots of torque makes it perfect for the twisty stuff. it will also lift the front wheel on power alone in 1st 2nd and 3rd so it keeps you grinning and on your toes. i find myself concentrating more and being more involved in the ride on the husky than the ninja.

Iv ridden a drz before but thats about it. there a lot smoother than the husky and a little less power but still great to ride!

dannyfawcett

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3, 1.6 hat
Very hard type of bike not too have fun on! Looks fantastic in those colours and im sure the thump is lovely too! Throw up a few vids for a bit of craic.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Very hard type of bike not too have fun on! Looks fantastic in those colours and im sure the thump is lovely too! Throw up a few vids for a bit of craic.

Il take a few vids tomorrow and see what i can do.
I pulled the exhaust today because it was blowing and causing it to sound like a machine gun on deceleration so i chucked some fire gum in the joints so hopefully thats sorted it.

Also fitted new grips which are so much nicer than the old ones and put on the front plastics. still waiting on the rear panel and headlight gfx kit.

Things to do in the next week or so are,
fit fork bleeders.
change all brake fluids.
fit new slave piston .
check valve clearances
fit new nuts and bolts .
fit new fuel tap and filter.
maby fit some indicators.
change the fork seals and fork oil.
then lastly set up the sag on the rear for 3.5 inch .

may take a few photos of both bikes tomorrow if the weather is good enough to!

warren

RMS Photographer
Sounds like a machine gun slowing down..... That sounds outstanding

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Sounds like a machine gun slowing down..... That sounds outstanding
it was so loud when it popped and so obnoxious when in a built up area like lisburn town center. not that the bike isn't obnoxious and in your face anyway but this was just TOO loud lol
im pretty sure there were flames shooting out the rear whenever it done it to.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
What a day!! oil filters came so i decided to swap out the oil, my misfortune started when i broke the head off the sump plug! managed to get a good purchase with a chisel so i slowly hammered away and drifted it out, I then managed to sheer the head off one of the many oil filter housing bolts, the majority of the thread is in the casing so im going to try and drill it tomorrow then use an extractor.

short vid of it warmed up before dropping oil.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.