Shogun V6 LWB

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Great looking truck!

What are the STTs like? Road noise?

I fancy a set when the times come

Just been to Killinchy and back in it and have to say the road noise is way less than I had thought it was going to be! Yes there's a mild humming noise, but nothing that a bit of volume on the stereo wouldn't sort out. I've yet to try their offroad performance, but should be ok after reading some reviews, especially for all I'll need them for. Overall I'm over the moon with them!

@Nicky 32mm spacers definitely on the cards for next time I'm home. To be honest I was going to order the wheels in ET-32 instead of ET0, but didn't know how bad the 1" or so of tyres sticking out would look come MOT time. I'll fire the spacers on and see how it looks

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Been flat out since I got home a few days ago! Ready to top myself as it's just problem after problem lol.

First i serviced it, oil and filter, or problem at all. Stripped half the engine to get at the spark plugs, no bother at all. Fitted new ignition leads, rebuilt everything and was only running on three cylinders! Turns out 3 of the new leads were wrong, so have refitted the old leads again for now.
Went to fit the new air filter, wrong size :worried:
Fitted A bar and spotlights on front. Still need wired up though.
Fitted a new headunit, ipod/Parrot Kenwood thing, great job
And fitted the new reg

I started on fitting the snorkel, but the arch liner bolts are completely rusted solid/don't exist anymore and will need a bit of work to get them out. Also when I pulled back the front half of the arch liner I found a pretty big rusty hole, and after I poked about at it ive made it a lot bigger! MOT next month so pretty sure I'll need it welded, so if anyone knows a good welder let me know. Doesn't have to be a pretty job, as it's nearly hidden by the arch liner, just enough to patch the hole and pass an mot!

All this and have the whole house /garage to pack up and move out the road before I go back to Iraq in a few weeks, be glad to get back for a break!

On the plus side the wife has had good use of it when I was away and her BMW wouldn't climb the hill out of the estate in the snow! She mentioned it was worse than usual on the fuel, til I noticed she'd been driving everywhere with overdrive switched off lol

image.jpg

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Knew I had a sticky rear caliper as I could feel it slowing me down, hear it squeal, smell it and also felt the heat coming from the wheel once I'd stopped.
With the mot looming and also the Todds Leap day on Sunday I thought it was best to tackle it now.
Rather than mess around with freeing up the caliper I just bought one from Euro Car Parts for the messily sum of £64.50. Done the discs and pads an all obviously, though the non sticky side was still as good as new.
Old one was well and truly siezed leaving nothing on the pads at all!

image.jpg

Old vs new!

image.jpg

image.jpg

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Good going, I was having problem after problem with the Jeep, much along your lines! At least your caliper was a third the price of my back one! Hope to see it doing what's it's designed for on Sunday!

PAULW

RMS Regular
This looks class. Had a boxed arched 99 2.8 SWB years ago, was a serious bit of kit but boy do they like to rust. Look after it and keep the dreaded tin worm away and it'll last forever and they can pull a house down

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
This thread wouldn't be complete without the obligatory muddy pics. Still gathering pics up from yesterday, but I'm very happy with the way the Shogun performed. Anywhere it struggled was down to driver error lol, though I'm still learning :p

Thanks to anyone who took pics yesterday, hope you don't mind me using some.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Looks a grand jab. I talked myself out of a green V6 LWB only last week, but those modulars/STs I think have talked me back into it.

Had a diesel 2.8 (2 of them) many years back, couldn't keep up with the parts they ate. 2/3 months on the road out of owning it 13 months and the other ended up donating parts to keep the first one going.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Looks a grand jab. I talked myself out of a green V6 LWB only last week, but those modulars/STs I think have talked me back into it.

Had a diesel 2.8 (2 of them) many years back, couldn't keep up with the parts they ate. 2/3 months on the road out of owning it 13 months and the other ended up donating parts to keep the first one going.

Think I seen that one myself for sale, was near tempted to buy it for spares. 130k miles on it iirc? I love them!

Pardon my ignorance but how do you clean that? lol

I actually don't know yet mate! Have washed the outside of it but havent tackled the engine yet. Can't be bothered standing with engine cleaner and a wee brush lol. If anyone has any tips let me know!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Spray the engine bay with a lot of TFR, let is dwell for a hit and use the power hose from a distance, not jamming it into things and repeat if needed,then just let it dry on its own or use a wee fan heater with the bonnet closed and it won't take long.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Quick update.......it sat for 6 weeks while I was in Abu Dhabi, I got home last week for 5 days so thought I'd phone for an mot on Friday. Luckily got one for Saturday night at 19.50(the best time IMO) so set to work cleaning it and getting it ready.
The brakes were never right after replacing the back caliper and I put it down to not being bled properly. Turns out one of the pistons on the front drivers caliper had siezed, so a quick dash to eurocarparts 3hrs before the mot, fitted it along with new front pads and drove across to Armagh.
I'd expected it to fail on rusty inner arches, but it went straight through! Nice and handy! Really didn't expect it to pass, and at least that's it for another year.

We also sold the house and are living in a farm now while the new one gets built, so should come in nice and handy. Going to try and get the snorkel fitted when I get a chance and also looking at roof lighting bars and LED spot lamps. Oh and get it off road again!

image.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.