Damaged rim by pothole

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

turbowilly

RMS Regular
Drives
shogun 3.2
I've just damaged a rim on my my transit van.hit a large pothole which deflated the tyre straight away and as bent the inside of the rim away from the tyre.are the council liable for fixing the wheel or do I just have to sort it myself?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I think you need to go back and get a picture with a tape measure inside the pot hole to prove its depth. If the pothole has any water or debri in it make sure to clear this out as they could say you don't have sufficent proof etc.

turbowilly

RMS Regular
OP
turbowilly
Drives
shogun 3.2
I took some pictures but will have to back in day light for better one

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I kept my tyre (it was ruined anyway) but took plenty of photos. The photos were enough and they didn't need to see the actual tyre.

I had to provide a few quotes of wheel refurb and also of a new tyre. They paid the cost of the refurb then 80% or so of the tyre given that the wrecked one wasn't new.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Get a many pictures of pot hole,pp
Damage to tyre, rims etc
As
Possible. Get three quotes for
Fixing. Get form for claiming from road services... Send all evidence and forms away. If rim or
Tyre has to be replaced keep them as evidence... On quote get it wrote that pot hole did the damage...

turbowilly

RMS Regular
OP
turbowilly
Drives
shogun 3.2
image.jpg

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
If there is spray it means they know about it and have failed to fix it in a reasonable time (better chance of claim) , if there is no paint they will just say they didn't know it was there (less chance of claim)

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
@Lyons are you sure ? How are they expected to fix all the potholes if they dont know its there ?
I was under the belief that if they have marked it but not fixed it they've left themselves open to claims as they knew it was there but never bothered fixing it.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I thought the spray was yellow and meant to make the pothole more visible so drivers could avoid it?

Don't know that for fact though, just something ringing a bell inside my head about that.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Lyons are you sure ? How are they expected to fix all the potholes if they dont know its there ?
I was under the belief that if they have marked it but not fixed it they've left themselves open to claims as they knew it was there but never bothered fixing it.

When it's sprayed that means they're aware of it and have logged it to fix and you won't be covered. You need to find another without spray.

That came from someone in Road Service.

garyo

RMS Regular
When it's sprayed that means they're aware of it and have logged it to fix and you won't be covered. You need to find another without spray.

Was told this myself when I claimed off one a few years back. The paint markings can be confusing alright, but as Lyons said, the liability only lies with them when they don't know it's there, like a form of negligence that they're not aware of a defect. If it has been marked then it's already begun the long process of getting fixed, and they can't be expected to fix them all instantly.

Get as much info as you can for filling in the form, road names, grid ref even, get as many good pics as you can, length, breadth, depth...the more info the better. If you've no measuring tape on you at the time, include something else in the pics to give a relative idea of the size. Three quotes for repairs (I only got two which were identical as it was through Ford, and I explained the third dealership I rang would happily confirm their price would be the same too, but I wasn't gonna waste my time travelling to them for a written quote), and if you go ahead with any work in the meantime keep all your receipts.

When I met the guy on-site from Roads Service he knew exactly where I was gonna show him...it was around a water drain and they'd had a few claims about it so they passed it on to NI Water. Took an extra few weeks but was still paid out in full.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
What's to stop you just digging your own pothole and picture it , in reality you smacked a kerb !
Or take a pick to a genuine hole to make it deeper and enhance your chance of claim ?

I think it makes more sense that if they have it painted but have neglected to fix it before someone wreaks a wheel thats there fault .

But thats just me.

kevinmc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 530i M Sport
Lyons said:

This is what i dont understand about the Road Service

If they know about a pothole and have sprayed it, does that mean that they can just ignore any claims for damage.

Whats to stop them painting all the potholes and then not fix any of them ??

garyo

RMS Regular
What's to stop you just digging your own pothole and picture it , in reality you smacked a kerb !
Or take a pick to a genuine hole to make it deeper and enhance your chance of claim ?

Nothing but your conscience :innocent:

I know what you're saying alright, but thing is, if they have it painted, then it's technically in the process of being fixed - it's been identified and will be fixed as soon as they possibly can (separate debate on that one), so they literally can't do anything more about it.

If they're unaware it exists, that's negligent on their behalf - they should know about it and should already have it identified and should already be in the process of getting it repaired.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.