Trailer test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

amcm1

RMS Regular
Have a few questions about this

How much on average would it cost?
Who does it around Antrim, ballymena are?
What is involved in it?
Is it pretty straightforward and easy?
How many lessons would be required on average (I've reversed a few caravans and trailers around houses, driveways etc so I've a rough idea)
Another info would be great

Ghost

RMS Regular
Contact driving academy ni. Tell them gavin put you in touch. Great company. Put me through most of my licences now.

colin84

RMS Regular
Was interested in doing this soon myself for towing a car transporter. From what I've seen so far its usually costs about £400.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
About £400 ish will cover it as above assuming you don't need a pile of lessons and are using the school car & trailer for the test.

As far as test goes you start off in carpark reverse into a pretend parking bay in a S shape then disconnect, park beside the trailer and then reconnect it. Few safety checks and then it's on to the road for a 45ish (IIRC) min drive.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Its handy enough,
I did one lesson with Ians in Belfast, didnt like the set up.
One lesson with a guy called Cyril Campbell in Craigavon who was decent and told me to book the test and that I only required one further lesson immidiately before the test took place to iron out some bad habits.
Ians were £40 an hour while Cyril was £30, lessons seem to be 2hrs long as standard.

Test is as Coog says, plus you have an emergency stop to do.
You have to perform standard safety checks on the trailer before you move off (as if it was a borrowed trailer that you didnt know the condition off).
A few questions, typically on trailer loading and nose down weights, and off you go for the drive.

Wendy's Trailer Training is getting a good name for its self, might be worth a shout.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Haha Ians was great, particularly if you don't mind standing at the side of the road smoking cigarettes. I enjoyed the whole experience :grinning:

Marc

RMS Moderator
Its handy enough,
I did one lesson with Ians in Belfast, didnt like the set up.
One lesson with a guy called Cyril Campbell in Craigavon who was decent and told me to book the test and that I only required one further lesson immidiately before the test took place to iron out some bad habits.
Ians were £40 an hour while Cyril was £30, lessons seem to be 2hrs long as standard.

Also done my lessons the morning before the test with Cyril, would recommend 100%

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
Haha Ians was great, particularly if you don't mind standing at the side of the road smoking cigarettes. I enjoyed the whole experience :grinning:

Did you get the skinny guy with glasses then lol I had him myself

I done three lessons with Ian's in ards and it was very easy passed it first time in November there

Ghost

RMS Regular
Driving academy NI. Based in Belfast working mainly round boucher road area but travels.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Davy Clarke from Ians was who I went with.

As Coog and Davey say lol, he loves his smokes

What a guy though. Sound as a pound.

I still catch him occassionally outside the Boucher test centre while on my lunchtime walk ... puffing away as always but still chats away to me even this long on from doing the test (y)

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I just ran in to Davey Clarke round by the Boucher test centre - he's retiring next week :worried:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Is the nose weight set in stone, or does every trailer design prefer to be balanced slightly differently ? Assume the figure is just a guide line ?

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Just passed mine with Davey this morning. Pleasure to deal with and its a shame he's moving on

2 lessons and a half lesson before the test. Came to £316 all in which seemed good value

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Just passed mine with Davey this morning. Pleasure to deal with and its a shame he's moving on

2 lessons and a half lesson before the test. Came to £316 all in which seemed good value

Was that you heading out around 1.30?

I just shook his hand and said thank you and good luck - hopefully see him about again as he is such a sound guy (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.