Car tax query

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tommy b

RMS Regular
Drives
ibiza mk4@ibiza
Just bought a new car today and it has no tax as per new rules phoned insurance today and got it switched ok tried to tax in post office but because I had no cert for insurance couldn't tax it. I know when I get round to taxing it it's gonna be back dated to start of month is it ok to drive it in the mean time it is mot'd

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Hardly if it's not taxed lol.

Just go online either use your card or Set it up DD.

tommy b

RMS Regular
OP
T
Drives
ibiza mk4@ibiza
Tried to tax online and it wouldn't work just gonna have to wait on insurance cert coming now

K55

RMS Regular
New Keepers in NI can only tax at a Post Office - you can't do it online like GB. Don't worry too much, drive away at it until you get it taxed.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I couldn't get any of mine to work online. Post office is handy enough though. Some are open late and at weekends. Were both cars previously from England, Pablo?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think they have a slightly different format to the V5 document reference number (or similar) and it allows it to pass the first online check. A NI V5 doesn't pass and it's rejected. Seems a bit silly to me!

pablo

RMS Moderator
do you not drop something off the number and it works? seem to remember renewing the wifes mini online and having to do something with the number. might be dreaming though. can you paste in a typical NI doc number? (swap some digits round). my english one looks like:

4304 844 1234

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've only got the doc ref no to hand but it looks like:

(NI reg from new)

So no difference then lol. There goes that theory :p

tommy b

RMS Regular
OP
T
Drives
ibiza mk4@ibiza
As I'm a new keeper can't tax online or phone as its a ni law insurance was transferred onto new car mon morning still no documents in post yet insurance company won't e-mail to me so I have to wait till I get insurance in the post which I think will be mon

KevM

RMS Regular
You can only tax online if you insure directly with UK based companies. Any NI based insurers dont have live communication with DVA and therefore the online tax rejects.

tommy b

RMS Regular
OP
T
Drives
ibiza mk4@ibiza
Mine is a mainland insurance company also just gonna have to wait On documents coming in post

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Taxed mine this morning. New keeper and been worn since Jan. insurance us with flux right enough.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I couldn't get any of mine to work online. Post office is handy enough though. Some are open late and at weekends. Were both cars previously from England, Pablo?

Just need the new keepers slip, insurance cert and mot for the Post Office?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I think you can tax online ( new keeper )
But must pay 6 months or 12 months
New keepers can't do DD

That right?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Didn't work for me, not enough digits in the ref number on the new keeper slip.

amcm1

RMS Regular
When I got a new car I kept trying online to tax it as a new keeper but as has been mentioned it isn't possible so I clicked on the existing owner option and done it that way

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
When I got a new car I kept trying online to tax it as a new keeper but as has been mentioned it isn't possible so I clicked on the existing owner option and done it that way

Does that not mean you just taxed it again for the previous owner???

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Does that not mean you just taxed it again for the previous owner???

Yup lol! As soon as he sends of the V5 to change the name on it the old keeper will get the refund of what he has just paid! Good luck getting that back LMAO.

Reactions: K55
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.