Reg Transfer When Selling a Car.... Sorted!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
So this literally stressed me out so much that I think a quick thread to clarify for others might save them the hassle. Mabye others can understand this easier than me, but It confused me so much!

So your selling your car with a personalised reg on it that you wish to keep?

The form you fill in is a V317(reg transfer form). The V317NI is now obsolete. (I dont know why its still online)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409911/V317_211114.pdf

You have 2 options....

1) Get it transfered before you decide to sell the car by filling the V317 form out (When the car is still taxed and in your name) and send it off. The drawback to this is that you have to wait 2 weeks to get a new taxbook, and not to many buyers will buy a car without one. Or...

2)Sort the reg transfer paperwork when the new buyer buys the car.

If you decide to sort it all out when the new buyer buys the car, this is what you have to do.

When the buyer signs the taxbook into their name and takes their slip of the V5CNI (taxbook) they technically own the plate from that moment on!

In order to get the plate transfered you need to get them to fill out a V317 (reg transfer form) as if they own the car, and put you down as the Grantee. (Grantee being the one who has the right to the plate) This means that they are essentially giving you the plate as a gift and transfering all rights to the plate to you. You can choose to put the plate on retention or a new vechicle. Both options cost £80.

The new buyer then has to insure the car, then tax it. (All cars involved with the transfer must be taxed) Only then can you send the completed V317 & the V5C (or both V5C's depending on wheather your keeping the plate on retention or putting it on another car) off to Swansea to transfer it over.

Note - Im not sure if you have to wait until the new buyer taxes the car, or if your existing tax on the car is sufficient. I sold my car with the tax ran out, therefore I had to wait until he taxed it. If your existing tax is sufficient you obviously dont have to wait on the new owner insuring and taxing the car, but again im not 100% sure on this. I'd recommend waiting until they have taxed it to be sure.

The new buyer can tax the car in several ways.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

-In a postoffice with their slip of the V5C

-Sending off a V10 form (Application for vechicle tax)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359928/V10_220714.pdf

If choosing the V10 option, you can send this away with the V317 (reg transfer form ) & V5C (Taxbook) and do it all at once.

What a disaster!

Anyway, hope this helps someout out and saves them the stress of sorting it out. Mines just in the post so can confirm this when I hear back.

Also FYI, you no longer need to send tax discs or MOT certificates anymore like you used to have to do. Its also a good idea to get the buyer to sign some sort of declaration to say the plate is not included in the sale. Im not sure how this would stand up in court but i'd say its better than nothing.
Its also worth noting that if you put it on retention and want to put it onto a car you dont have to pay again, just send off the correct form, your V5C and MOT certificate.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
About retention and not having to pay? Yes. Literally just been reading my retention cert as the V5 of my new car arrived today so it will all be going in the post tomorrow.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
All being well picking up our new to us motor this morning. Retention docs and stuff for my reg all left with the dealer on wednesday and he said they would all be back and on by this morning.

I genuinely laughed when he said it, I was surprised and I'm still holding my breath lol.

Sidecars55

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000RR
That's handy cost me £130 IIRC few months back put mine on retention for 2 years and now its only going to cost £80 now for 10 years? , That's good value now and the way it should of been, They don't normally make something cheaper so nice to see they aren't digging the arm in now :grinning:

Sharkey

RMS Regular
OP
S
Update. New buyer taxed the car. I sent off forms. But I also received a new V5C in the post. (Not a V5CNI). The NI specific tax book must be no more.

Not sure what conplication this will have on the whole proceedings but will update.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.