Reg transfer advice (again)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Sorry old threads locked for some reason was gonna reply there

Right... Car is possibly going this week but was justs gonna start the process when new buyer pays for the car and they're happy enuff with that

So... V317 needs completing, do I fill that in as current keeper wait for it all to come back then send tax book away with new keeper details

Or...

Complete it as his details and put me down as grantee?

Give him the new keeper supplement and I send off the tax book/mot for reg transfer and new keeper?

Tried coleraine and was fired to Swansea, lost the will to live with automated messages

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I put the reg from the volvo on retention and then sent the new docs to the owner when they arrived.

We signed a statement that the car was sold to him and he had no interest in the plate.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah retention for a year is £105 ish I think happy enough to do retention just not sure what way the paper work goes, end of the day if the plate goes with the car and they arse about and I don't get it plate was only £250 new so not overly worried.... Just she bought me it for birthday and it is in series with the Cav reg aswell so b nice to hold onto it.

Will hopefully complete it as new keeper being owner then out me down as grantee so I can control the transfer onto new car.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
@m00k

Get it on retention, its £105.
Only £25 more than a direct transfer plus you have a year to transfer it back. (No extra charges are incurred when you do decide to)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Retention includes the transfer to the new car so its only £25 more, not £80.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
So if I was to send offs he tax book and mot today to get it on retention then he won't have a new keepers supplement part to take with him to tax it?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't think so. The new v5 takes a couple of weeks too. I had to ask the buyer to wait for mine to get back before I could sell them the car.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
In the same position myself have another vehicle to put plate on so is it just the V317 needs completed and corresponding docs sent in?

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Well cars away... Buyer wasn't keen on a deal with me retaining the tax book and mot to sort the transfer, even tho it I would have probably meant a free months tax (£500 a year tax too ) but agreed to transfer the plate to me when new v5 comes to them, will see if they stand by it.

Plate wasn't expensive just a wilsons £250 jobby but was a present from the wife so would like to keep it for that point of view.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I think the best thing to do in future is when you're gonna advertise the car, immediately stick the plate on retention. Then when someone buys it, you've probably got the V5 back.

It's amazing the amount of people who don't think of removing the plate until someone is about to buy the car, then it gets a little messy.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah but was the sorta car could have sat for six months too... Knew they were coming over but wouldn't have had v5 back in time either and i doubt they would have been happy to take it without new keeper supplement either

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That's what I did back in January...dear knows how long itll be on retention at this rate!!

Still, better than the stress/panic of having to deal with it in a hurry I suppose.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Any update on this @mook?

I'm in a similar situation.

Sold the car on friday, new buyer signed the tax book and took his slip. I have the rest of it. I was having issues taxing it since the new tax laws came in because every time I tried the post office couldnt see my reg and when I called the tax people they had no answers either.

So I didnt tax the car for 4 months or so before I sold it. (And never drove it tbh)

So now I cant just send off the V317 (plate change form) with the V5C and get it changed because both cars have to be taxed.

Should I ...

1) Just risk it and send off the V5C to get his name swapped over and then when he taxes it, get him to fill out a V317 (plate change form)

2) Send the V317 away as if I still own the car and get it swapped and hopefully they understand that when its swapped, to change the tax book into the new owners name, (And hope that by the time they get it, the new owner will have taxed the car)

3) Send the V317 away as if the new owner owns the car and put me down as the grantee? (And hope that by the time they get it, the new owner will have taxed the car)

I also got him to sign a form to say the plate isnt included in the sale, but how I stand legally with such a form is debatable.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Well I took the risk and gave the new keeper the usual new keeper slip and posted off the tax book, they said they would sort it onto retention when new tax book landed, and sure enuff they messaged me the other day and said tax book was with them and that they were sorting it for me, even covering the transfer fee themselves, believe retention is now only £80 same as the transfer...

As said it was only a wee £250 quid plate so if it didn't come back to me I wasn't overly worried bar the fact the wife got me it as a bday present so that was my desire to retain

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Got my retention through yesterday :grinning:

Guys held their end of the deal and even paid for the transfer wouldn't let me fw a cheque to cover it

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
If you put it on retention do you then have to pay another £80 once you want to put your plate on something?

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
No further fee to out it into new vehicle

£80 to transfer to another car

And now reduced to £80 for retention for ten years

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I have someone coming to see the car tonight and the plate is still on it. I only advertised it on Saturday and decided I'd rather hold off so I could show any buyer the V5 rather than explaining it was away at Swansea.

Do I hang onto the full V5 and post it off with the V317 to get the plate onto retention, then when it returns back do the transfer of ownership then? I assume s potential buyer would be happy enough knowing it was genuine if they saw the original V5 and then I gave them a copy for their records- I know I would.

Or is it an option to give them the new keeper slip, then post the remainder of the V5 off with the V317? Is it better not to mix the 2 processes?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
@Lyons you can put plates on retention online so no need to send the book away.

They then send you a new book - transfer of plate is instant ie they tell you the new reg on the screen straight away, new V5 arrived within 3 days as well - was very easy

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Didn't need to worry! Car sold and he's happy with a photo copy of the V5! Will try the online system though, cheers.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ended up putting the reg on retention online on Saturday and the certificate and new V5 arrived yesterday. What a fantastic system! It means I can get the new reg on the car tonight before the buyer collects rather than have to fart about meeting up for plates etc again.

With regards to putting the plate onto our new car, I assume I should/have to wait until the V5 has arrived in our name?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.