The Continuous Car Thread of S_S - Skodas, BMWs, Austins...

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Thats some collection so far, your not worried about getting your hands dirty :grinning:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Some nice motors... Too bad you're the most awkward **** I've ever dealt with.

Chap lifted me a rb25 gearbox in england, going out of his way to get it, coming back with a empty van. Didnt want any money either but had to throw him a few quid. Very reasonable/sound

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Flip I thought me and my dad had some collection of stuff but ours are normally prisoners until space runs out then its a case of getting rid of a few!
Really like the S110R and the 164s. Also a fan of the rapides, I think one would be 'interesting' with a Fiat twin cam shoved in it.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Surprised to see so few 3 series
325i sports have always been a favourite of mine but am yet to own one.
No stranger to a 3 series or a Sport sir, just don't have any love for them at all.
Currently have this one floating about
sC72B9D.jpg

Sko..... would you never ever think about just buying one decent car?

No?

Good! Keep rust-busting
Sure where would be the fun in that!

Although some of them can look decent given a chance...
Pvp5Ll7.jpg

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Fantastic thread, really enjoyed reading through it! Would love an E28 M535i, one of my dream cars!

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
How we doing Will?

That's some collection you have had over the years fair play. What's your main mode of transport these day's?

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Fantastic thread, really enjoyed reading through it! Would love an E28 M535i, one of my dream cars!
Silver one for sale!

How we doing Will?

That's some collection you have had over the years fair play. What's your main mode of transport these day's?
I don't even know myself right now. My mums E39 touring and an E39 523i are in my drive at the minute and the bike in the garage... will see when the month turns over, whatever is still taxed...

Ohh, I like that (y)
Giving me bad thoughts about a 325i Sport.
Just sold my other one today as well, so that's one less to worry about rusting away from under me!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Sorry I got a bit confused, it's actually the E12 M535i that's one of my dream cars! Although the E28 in general is just a fantastic motor, with the M5 being another car in my dream list. Although in saying all that I did have a look at your M535i and it is beautiful, would nearly be tempted!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Broke an E12 M535i a long time ago, man can they rust.

E21 hiding in the workshop coming along now - engine fitted...
FTE2AAx.jpg

jacko_rs

RMS Regular
Drives
lexus is200
i remember selling you a felicia around 2008 you and your dad came up to holywood to take it. sound guy. think i might of spotted it in your pics haha

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
i remember selling you a felicia around 2008 you and your dad came up to holywood to take it. sound guy. think i might of spotted it in your pics haha

Hmm. Holywood. Blue Estate? With painted over rear windows?

Needed the engine for another car. Some difficulty removing it...
That one?

Last edited:

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Today was raceday.

On Tuesday when I was prepping the car, the battery slid off it's mount, and fell on the exhaust manifold and melted the corner (cue panic!). I also found one of the water pipes had split.

So last night (Friday), after hoses and coolant replaced, I was getting packed up and took a quick spin around the yard to final check it all.
Next thing was a plume of acrid smoke from under the dash and more panic. Light was fading fast but I found that something I had not noticed, which was that the PO thought it ok to have the alternator take-off wires hanging loose alongside the engine, had cropped up in a most unpleasant fashion. The fitting of a new battery had caused the wires, which also had a most unsuitable bulkhead exit of right behind the battery, to be a little more strained and they had pulled up onto the exhaust manifold and melted.
ZuZCz4y.jpg

This killed the alternator, and the ignition switch. Which I found out after running new wires to replace the melted ones, in the dark.
Light now totally gone, and the car would not start, and not move. It locked one of the front wheels somehow, not in gear and not on the brakes but would NOT move.
So I decided to get the forklift. The car was down the bottom of yard and I had to move another car to get space for the Manitou. Which of course ran out just when it got down there and blocked the whole show. So off I went for a few pints of cherryade, came back, bled it as well, got it up and running, and in almost pitch black moved the Clio and grabbed the Austin - after adjusting the toes to "tiny article" settings.
So that faffle over and I brought the car up the yard rather ignominiously
LeoUtxZ.jpg

The wheels turned freely now. Gave up trying to figure out why.
So I set to with some wiring. So many times I thought about giving up and not going, but in the end I ran basically a complete new ignition circuit.
vZMgZVC.jpg

So we're about 4 hours into this now and it fires up. At last. No charging circuit so pack a spare battery.

Go to put the trailer on the BMW. have not used BMW to tow before - find it has a European 12-pin socket? What use is that? So time to resurrect the slightly forlorn Alfa and put it to good use. Had to jump start that and it took me 20 minutes to find the jump leads, eugh.
Anyway, finally, left the yard at 10.30pm
next morning
wVSt3RI.jpg

bright and early we're off.
For a bit of mud plugging
G65L1f7.jpg

3qE1oJr.jpg

Running badly all day as the timing seems to keep slipping, there is an automatic advance in the distributor but its not keeping constant, and I spent most of the morning trying to fine tune that and between pinking and being worried about melting the overbore pistons I managed to put in a few not overly successful runs.

And then the radiator started spewing out the side of the header tank and it was game over...
WOXoTuy.jpg

Bah!

Last edited:

jacko_rs

RMS Regular
Drives
lexus is200
Hmm. Holywood. Blue Estate? With painted over rear windows?

Needed the engine for another car. Some difficulty removing it...
That one?

no mate was a green hatchback. u was with your dad in the green estate. I had put a engine in it from a favourit and was using it as a to b car while I was working on the silvia

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I have no idea how you could be bothered with all that hassle. The only thing more hassly than owning a fleet of bundles must surely be selling them, with the associated time wasters. If you enjoy it though, sweet!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Ah amazing. Love all these wagons, few of those Skoda I'd live myself. Can't beat a project. Or 10.lol

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Replacement wiper motor I got for the Cadillac almost a year ago is now fitted.

Eventually got the starter taken out, left into place to get rebuilt and it was done in under 3 hours. The car's been off the road for countless months waiting on that to be done, and three hours, parts on the shelf... Anyway that's ready to go in. Then it's just figure out all the vacuum controls and start widening the back arches...

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
The E21 has had the engine plumbed in and now runs. Bodywork needs freshened up and it will be ready to roll.

I have the E39 535 up for sale, don't want to increase miles, and finally finished fixing my mums E39 touring so had no excuse to keep it any more (plus tax was up) so I gave it back. The van has a blowout and is full of stuff so I needed a new car.

I bought a light green E39 with brown leather seats. Oddest combination ever. I don't have any pics because I immediately lent it to someone else whose car had broken down. Then I found another E39 for sale nearby and arranged to go and see it, but before I could the owner brought it to work (not knowing it was I that had been in contact) and sold it to us "for breaking". It's an MOT'd 528i Sport so it's now my daily.
eenJqHm.jpg

And a couple of days later bought a black 528i Sport with a long MOT with a blown engine so that might get fixed up also...

And also a white E46 325ci that has a long MOT but had apparently cooked itself. Coilovers and 18" wheels, ACS mirrors... and no, turns out it was the radiator sensor not turning on, two wires to the plug and no more overheating.

Some weeks, it just goes "right".