e46 M3 clicking noise

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Noticed today a clicking noise coming from the drivers rear wheel.

The noise has just appeared out of no where. Its a rthymic noise that gets louder and more frequent depending on wheel speed.

The odd thing is that the noise disappears if you put the clutch in.

Noticed that tyre is showing canvas (budget scrap that I was "disposing" of)

However surely that wouldn't be the cause as it goes away when clutch is in so I'm ruling that out?

Any ideas?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
CV joint? As you remove the stress by dipping the clutch it may stop making the noise.

May just be worth throwing the spare on to be 100% sure. When you let off the car could move forward just enough to keep the arch away from any loose tread.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
You sure a fine slither of rubber hasn't peeled off the tyre, causing the slap around the arch?

Happened to me on an E34 525i Sport, couldn't find anything wrong mechanically until I seen the string of rubber!

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I will throw a new set of tyres on it and go from there, back to the 330 for the next few days. :grinning:

Jason

RMS Regular
If the canvas is poking through it could be it hittin the road, happened a time or two on some rough rwd's I was burning tyres off before!! click click click

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I can't explain away the noise ceasing with the clutch dipped but I had a similar problem which was more audible at slow spped with the window down - a bloody great big bolt stuck through the tread of the tyre.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I can't explain away the noise ceasing with the clutch dipped but I had a similar problem which was more audible at slow spped with the window down - a bloody great big bolt stuck through the tread of the tyre.

Yeah I have had the bolt in the tyre. Pita

Ant

RMS Regular
Noticed today a clicking noise coming from the drivers rear wheel.

The noise has just appeared out of no where. Its a rthymic noise that gets louder and more frequent depending on wheel speed.

The odd thing is that the noise disappears if you put the clutch in.

Noticed that tyre is showing canvas (budget scrap that I was "disposing" of)

However surely that wouldn't be the cause as it goes away when clutch is in so I'm ruling that out?

Any ideas?

check the balancing weights aren't catching on/clipping the caliper or something
but with the clutch in and it going away prob isn't that.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
id say that its the brake shoes, check and make sure the retaining pins have not pulled through the backing plate, or when you hear the clicking when driving give the handbrake a wee pull and see if the noise changes or goes away

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Could be the wheel speed sensor hitting the abs ring at a certain point? Any issues with traction control lights/ abs lights?
Maybe the brake pad wear sensor has come loose and it hitting a certain point as well?

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
The noise is continual now and loud. Going to check out the brakes as I see its a common problem. Fingers crossed!

Starter motor also wouldnt stop engaging so its either a new motor or a new relay. Some craic :worried:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
does the noise get faster in relation to the speed your travelling? my bet is brake shoes for sure.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
It does and then once you get over say 30mph you can't hear it anymore

dddrrift

RMS Regular
you try giving the handbrake a slight pull when the noise is audible? see if it changes or goes away?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.