My 911 Carrera 2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
well have scratched my itch so going to finish up a few wee jobs and move the porsche on.

have fixed up loads of wee bits and have it sitting nice so anyone interested gimme a shout.

no idea whats next tbh, not in a rush to sell by any means so might be around for a while yet.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Shame you're moving it on, but the hunt for a new car is always great fun!

Good luck with the sale :grinning:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Nuttah! Complete NUtter......... Eedjit.....

GLWS - you did a nice job on it mate.

I'll start the bidding at £457

Reactions: dub

richie_mck

RMS Regular
It was never a long term plan anyway and there's no harm in looking for another motor. I need to get that steering wheel back, I will get it up this week.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You need professional help Paul, lol :p

This with the bike on top is just the coolest thing ever.

Looking forward to the next project :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
still enjoying the 911 while I figure out what to do with it! Its the wrong car for me in so many ways but it defo gets under your skin :grinning:

Anyways few more wee jobs done.

- Front top mounts replaced. These can be done in situ which is very handy!!

mounts removed while shock still in place. saves a LOAD of grief.

bearings regreased:

ummm self explanatory!!!

No more squeaking :grinning:

- Next up was replacing the parking sensors. It was an aftermarket kit so the lot had to come out as I couldnt figure out who made it!. Bit of a balls in fairness but managed it without removing the bumper :cool: Was hard to get the smaller 18mm hole ones, didnt want to go bigger.

Old ones:

New ones (painted to match the car of course, thanks @Woodcutter for the paint)

All fitted:

Today saw an impromptu day off so fitted the transmission mount inserts. The engine and box is held in by two replaceable mounts at the back and one mount at the front of the box. This mount is not replaceable and aftermarket ones require the box to be removed and the old mount pressed out. Not a driveway job! So saw this company in US who makes inserts which fill the voids in the mounts. Some people put window bonder in there as a ghetto hack but its not really reversible and is well a bit ghetto. Ive already replaced the rear mounts so wanted this one brought up to spec too.

inserts:

mount with the brackets removed:

one side fitted (fairy liquid essential here)

and bolted back up:

Only had a quick drive. There is increased cabin noise due to the stiffer mount but this should subside soon once they loosen up a bit.

- Other thing I done today was the rear brakes. Old discs were pretty scatty looking so replaced with pagid discs and pads.

The bells come in primer so I put a few coats of B&Q BBQ paint on to hopefully stop them going rusty any time soon.

And done! The pads are easy to work with being brembo 4 pots all round though one pin was uber stubborn!

Lastly I also removed the GT3 Cup front splitter. I just wasnt happy with the fit it looked a bit too stuck on at the sides. To make it work would have involved irreversibly modifying the bumper which I didnt want to do.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Almost forgot I got some 15mm spacers for the fronts, and have ordered some 7mm spacers for the rear. I tried the 15s on but were too much on rear.

And got a crack in the windscreen from a stone so a nice new screen in. Old one was delaminating at the bottom corners so £80 well spent :grinning:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Saw this last night ... Such a clean example and the work that's gone in to this is a massive seeking point to any potential buyer down the line.

It's made me add one to my own "to own" list lol

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Reading through it you seem to have rescued a possibly tired car and made it a excellent find indeed. Great work. But just shows you what your potentially getting into when you buy a used/older Porsche. To pay a garage to do all that I'm sure you be out a few quid

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Fantastic work, someone should get themselves a very straight 911 and hopefully you get a nice wee profit out of it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Thanks guys. No chance of a profit lol.

Ended up removing the transmission mounts again they absolutely ruined the car. :worried:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Thought so when I first saw them in the picks, but hey, we have to try things!

Firm bushes for suspension = (y) (y) (y)

Firm bushes anywhere else = (n) (n) (n)

At least for anything used on the road.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
reviews were excellent, and people go mad for the semi solid engine mounts but my god no, just no. they are the "street" version too, there is a harder race version :scream:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
yeah, exhaust etc became really loud and harsh. they supposedly bed in a bit over a while but even with half the extra noise/vibration it would be too much.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Anything firm around engine/transmission = vibration city. Even steering bushes can be deadly, tried those on the Audi once and they only stayed on for a couple of hours, lol :-#

Have rubber engine/transmission mounts on the Hondus, firmer than OEM Honda but not as bad as Poly/Solid, and even they can be pretty bad at times! No choice in that installation though, and a small price to pay :innocent:

Everyone has different tolerance levels, some people put up with it, but for anything used regularly on the road - no :grinning: And on anything nice, definitely no.

Suspension is just fine though, main benefit compared to new OEM being fit-and-forget.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.