Bit of a crash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

garyo

RMS Regular
Had something similar last week where I had to take evasive action into the ditch (car pulled out on me as I was overtaking it without checking their mirrors). I was lucky enough to get back on the road but ordered a dashcam that night...as mentioned, I don't know how much weight it would actually carry in terms proving liability, but it might be better than nothing in this type of instance. Hope you get sorted in some way @Eager

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Will see when the police call me back later today but just learnt the car is worth 180 scrap. Of course I have Agnews to pay for recovery too

... Would be great shame if say there mower hoovered up something in the grass at next cut wouldn it.

onefortheroad

RMS Regular
Drives
volvo
what licence is needed to drive these large machines
if they were contractors do they need a class1 licence, with white diesel
or is that just building contactor rather agricultural contractors?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This never ends well unfortunately, if you go through the insurance, you'll get raped at renewal time because it will be at best a 50/50 outcome. If you don't go the insurance route, recovery charges etc will exceed the scrap value of the car and you will find it difficult to get the car back for breaking etc (not that you'd probably want to). A sensible word with the farmer might yield something but as you know and most general merchants around the country also know very well that farmers are difficult to get money out of.

Feel bad for you as I've been in the same situation myself but the most sage words I can muster are, sometimes sh1t happens.
Some narrow wee roads in between Antrim and Crumlin. Ballyclan is a favourite accident black spot with lots of tractors using it this weather.(n)

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
... Would be great shame if say there mower hoovered up something in the grass at next cut wouldn it.

I really wouldn't advise that having had to replace a single bed in a mower before at a cost of £10k plus, its not a nice bill to swallow, particularly when you have said that the car is only worth a few hundred.
When you condsider the down time/loss of business/and paying someone else to do the job, the real costs are far in excess of that.

what licence is needed to drive these large machines
if they were contractors do they need a class1 licence, with white diesel
or is that just building contactor rather agricultural contractors?

Car licence if 17 or over.
Red diesel if in use for agricultural/horticultural/forestry purposes

Building contractors must be fully licenced C1/C2, taxed and run on white diesel only

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Im aware of the cground that you are talking about.
Before you get the farmer in trouble with the land owners first find out if it was a contractors vehicle or the farmers who takes the land. This will have an effect of the correct path to getting reimbursed.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
The owner that owns the farm stopped and was a complete knob. Said was nothing to do with his operation as was no damage to that side of my car that the tractor passed. Also didn't want to offer any apology or assistance and didn't want to offer names of boys working for him that day as at that stage he was the next load to drive by who I waved down before cops showed up and before the driver was identified.

I was told it was the local farmers insurance he was driving under should I need to pursue a claim. So assume it was not a contractor. Unless this bit is on edgy territory about having cover

What grade of licence and insurance should a 20-25 year old have to pull a big proper high side trailer and modern tractor. On roads

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Ya may have been put in the hedge and trigger a heart attack on some older guy... Not that he stopped to check. And he knew fine well the route I had to take to avoid collision.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
throw a cam from your car into the field at the next cut. The grass teams round my way are a joke as well with near the same thing happening to me only i had a laneway to dive into.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
The owner that owns the farm stopped and was a complete knob. Said was nothing to do with his operation as was no damage to that side of my car that the tractor passed. Also didn't want to offer any apology or assistance and didn't want to offer names of boys working for him that day as at that stage he was the next load to drive by who I waved down before cops showed up and before the driver was identified.

I was told it was the local farmers insurance he was driving under should I need to pursue a claim. So assume it was not a contractor. Unless this bit is on edgy territory about having cover

What grade of licence and insurance should a 20-25 year old have to pull a big proper high side trailer and modern tractor. On roads

If you caused damage to that same farmers property, livestock or anything similar, a solictors letter would arrive at your door.

Ive had a few issues in the past with them, not in terms of cars being damaged, but it terms of them thinking they are billy big ballix and because they own a field, they own the rights to rivers that run through it, getting aggresive and violent because I walk through their fields. Not nice having a man of 70 years old throwing punches with their sons for doing something you have the legal right to do so. I am not saying you don't get decent farmers but in my experience, having lived in the countryside my whole life, they are few and far between.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
As you say. Ya have a right of access to the river even if you don't own the land. Only the fishing rights required
That said, nothing stopping the farmer putting a bull in the field.

No. Don't worry I won't go burning his tractor lol. It's a few hundred quid. Not worth the idea of going and damaging anything of his

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
As you say. Ya have a right of access to the river even if you don't own the land. Only the fishing rights required
That said, nothing stopping the farmer putting a bull in the field.

No. Don't worry I won't go burning his tractor lol. It's a few hundred quid. Not worth the idea of going and damaging anything of his

What I meant was, if the shoe was on the other foot, and his property was damaged rather than yours, he would certainly pursue you.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
It really boils my piss the fact that he will get away with that and eager is down a car, regardless of any cost. A lot of people would pursue the claim and the car would have had a couple of whiplash claims welded on.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It really boils my piss the fact that he will get away with that and eager is down a car, regardless of any cost. A lot of people would pursue the claim and the car would have had a couple of whiplash claims welded on.

They could pursue all they like. Again it will largely boil down to the fact there was no contact. The tractor did not hit him. He drove off the road to avoid the accident by choice.

Yes it is silly, but that's how it will end up.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Well I think I can Pursue him for leaving the scene of the accident, police man is all for it but giving me the choice to or not. Won't get me any money but might as well try clip his wings.

Last edited:

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
Eager,
I had a similar incident involving a tractor on a country road. My car was in for a service, so had borrowed my mothers car. Picked her up from work, was driving home in the dark on a country rd between Bangor/Donaghadee on my own side of the road & within the speed limit.

Saw headlights approaching, but no flashing beacons or warning lights. When I drew level with it, still well on my own side of the road, there was an almighty bang & the side windows of the car imploded in around us! Pulled the car up to a stop as quickly as possible, as the tractor driver merrily went on his way as if nothing had happened!

After checking no-one in the car was injured, did the fastest U turn I've ever done & chased him into a nearby farmyard, where he casually looked at the car & simply shook his head..... The pics below were the result of impacting a machine he'd had on the back of the tractor, which had been swaying back & forth as he drove along and into the oncoming lane which I just happened to be in.....

He tried to deny any responsibility even though it was blatantly his fault, the outer door skin of the car was clearly visible still firmly wedged in the machine on the back of the tractor! It didn't seem to matter to him that someone could have been seriously injured or killed. It doesn't even bear thinking about what would have happened had it been a motorbike that had been coming along instead of me!

So as a result contacted Crash services, gave them the details of what had happened, and they took over & did the rest. The result was that he eventually admitted liability & I got the car replaced, the original obviously being a write off!

To me it was the principal of the whole thing that mattered, more so than any money! If I were in your current position, I wouldn't hesitate to get in contact one of the claims services like Crash who take on 'no fault' cases, explain what happened & let them do the stressing for you - after all, that's what they're there for & what they're good at!

And I'm in no way connected to any of them, just a happy & relieved ex customer! (y)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
With his/the farmers attitude, **** them. They blatantly don't care about your welfare or what could have happened. Stick the arm in and maybe they won't be so lax in future. Having lived in the country most of my days I’d easily say that 80% of the farmers I've came across on our country roads just don't care, the ones with trailers on are especially dangerous, they've somewhere to be and getting there is their only prerogative.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Boils my piss reading this thread. Take him to the cleaners. Used to work in the country and came across it myself. Actually pulled in to a.complete stop and farmer still took off my mirror on a brand new car. Some fighting to get them to pay for it. Never met a breed of people that by and large have such an ignorant attitude as farmers (some of my friends are farmers) I know its not them all but a lot of them are

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Should think so... As big Pete has said its prob gna be a ball ache to prove if one word against the other and no witness? Be perfect situation for a dashcam

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
@chri23 also lost her ep3 to a farmer in a tractor recently, some may remember the thread though that was more about the insurance at the time. She had to hit another car to avoid the tractor.

uploadfromtaptalk1433252180655.jpeg
uploadfromtaptalk1433252187446.jpeg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.