Refurbing wheels - stripping paint the easy way

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Just to follow up on this, is there much work after the rims have been for a bath in caustic soda? I used Nitromors tonight for the first time and found it to be a complete handling, sticky mess everywhere and a total balls to get off, not to mention it hasn't lifted half the paint despite an hour scrubbing with a toothbrush all over one wheel :confounded:

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Just to follow up on this, is there much work after the rims have been for a bath in caustic soda? I used Nitromors tonight for the first time and found it to be a complete handling, sticky mess everywhere and a total balls to get off, not to mention it hasn't lifted half the paint despite an hour scrubbing with a toothbrush all over one wheel :confounded:

Nitromorse is a hooor.

You may find that the paint will react with it if its not prepped 100% now.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I know mate wish I had never looked near it, got a problem on my hands now. Think caustic soda will be the only solution, but B&Q etc have stopped selling it because it's harmful to the environment and eats drainpipes!

RoniN

RMS Regular
Scrob should still be able to get it in a chemist.

After the caustic soda bath wheels will need washed down with thinners or panel wipe and a rub with 2000 wet&dry to key then best to undercoat with etch primer to give a good base for painting.

I found this method a pain as the whole wheel needs painting!
This is best method if the wheels are going to be polished.

Cheers

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
If there weren't a few kerb marks in the wheel I would prob have a go at polishing them for the craic!

You think I'd be better to soldier on with Nitromors and thinners than stick it in a bath of caustic soda then David? The rims are being repainted from orange to silver so I can sell them on again..

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Metro1800 came back briefly after is near death experience when the car fell on him, thats the last i can remember hearing of him.

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I have just seen it, but will certainly be giving it a go on a spare set of wheels I have!

Edit.... A quick Google has told me this is not a good idea. :worried:

Last edited:

Ollie

RMS Regular
I have just seen it, but will certainly be giving it a go on a spare set of wheels I have!

Edit.... A quick Google has told me this is not a good idea. :worried:

Read a few scary posts this afternoon after posting. Ended up sending them to be soda blasted.

colin84

RMS Regular
For anyone thinking about using caustic be sure to wear safety glasses along with the gloves. Even one splash in the eye is enough to say goodbye to your sight, and if it's in powder form it can violently react if it's mixed with water in the wrong way.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
10 to 20 quid a wheel to blast it's not extortionate and a dam sight safer

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Can anyone recommend someone to soda blast wheels as close to lisburn as possible please?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I tried this there at the weekend with a scrap dturbo wheel that had rough enough paint, kerb marks, bare bits etc.
Chucked 1kilo of caustic soda into a plastic drum big enough to fit a wheel on its flat and it did absolutely nothing lol
Im guessing the mix was wrong.
What ratio should I be aiming for it to lift paint?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.