Passat b6 speaker upgrades

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
I want to change the front speakers in my b6 (17cm i think) as well as amplifying these and as i believe there to be no speakers in the rear id like some put in. Can you guys recommend me what amp and components to go for in the front and what type of speakers for the rear. And finally someone to install it for me as i am a mong.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
Oh and speakers id say i dont want to spend more than 100 a set and i have no idea what type of amp i would need?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
@mckeown - I'd split the budget roughly £150/ £50 for the speakers, getting the better ones in the front door - there's loads to choose from at that price.
Choose 16.5cm speakers and make sure you buy the speaker adaptor to fit (approx £14 for two sets).

I really rate these for an entry-level high quality speaker: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/spe...-17cm/rainbow-el-c6-2-6-5-2-way-component-set

As for an amplifier, this little beauty has speaker level inputs, perfect for adding to a non-sub system: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amp...-gm-a4604-4-channel-bridgeable-amplifier-480w

Don't forget to buy a wiring kit (8 Gauge minimum) and Speaker cable

Or just give me a budget and I can install a nice system no probs. I'm home July 9th to 14th Inclusive, but have a few RMS legends cars to look at in that time..

Del

Last edited:

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
Hi del, thanks for that, u said to buy16.5 cm speakers but those in the link are 17cm?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Hi del, thanks for that, u said to buy16.5 cm speakers but those in the link are 17cm?

I'll get them in with a mallet! :p

16.5-17 should fit the adaptor OK - they fitted my 16.5cm adaptors in my last car.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
Do I have to buy car specific speaker adaptors?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
If you can get the dynaudio kit for Passat b6's it's quite good

QUITE good? Someone's hard to please! Dynaudio are my favourite speaker brand ever for cars - fitted a pair to an E46 about 12 years ago with custom door builds and they blew my socks off. No need for a sub.

Bit pricey though £799 for the pair back then, which is over many people's budget for one pair of speakers.

Jason

RMS Regular
QUITE good? Someone's hard to please! Dynaudio are my favourite speaker brand ever for cars - fitted a pair to an E46 about 12 years ago with custom door builds and they blew my socks off. No need for a sub.

Bit pricey though £799 for the pair back then, which is over many people's budget for one pair of speakers.
Comes as an option in some vw's! Have an estate ATM with it!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I upgraded mine last week, nothing fancy and didn't amp them. I will keep the look out for a cheapie 4 channel amp.

I put 6.5 inch speakers in the front and back (like yours there was no rear speakers, and no wiring.

I didn't use any adapters, the speakers fitted without them when I drilled the rim and use the self tapper plates that came with the speakers.

I also fitted a little 140watt D class amp subwoofer that I bought of here for the princely sum of £20 quid.

I would recommend putting a bit of money aside for a bit of dynamatt or similar for the doors, as they buzz a little now at higher volume, nothing terrible though.

Gimme a shout if you need any advice on cable routing or getting power etc in from the engine bay.

I just went for Vibe Slick 6 components in the front and Vibe Slick 6 co-axials in the back.

I had to use the speaker line level's for the subwoofer, which is less than ideal but it works well enough. I am still trying to get the crossover and gain to just the right spot.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Hello all,

is there anyway to get pre-amp signals from an RCD310 to go to an amp?

PS I would be willing to open the unit up if it achieved the results I want.

I have decent components and the limiting factor is the head unit, I want to stay OEM and I don't like using line levels for amps, but will if forced to.

I am pretty sure that the amp is reining itself in at high volume levels to prevent clipping, and the speakers aren't even being pushed. (it doesn't clip ever even at max)

On another note, the amp in my sub decided to die, but I feel its better to amp the 4x 6.5 inch speakers than replacing the sub amp???

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
The OEM head unit will USUALLY always strangle the bass. Fit an LC2i to the speaker wires of the RCD head unit to feed the amp. Stick a sub in you wuss! There's no replacement for displacement!!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I do like a good sub, I think that's why it sounded better before, I had the bass dialed back on the head unit and it was coping fine.

I mostly listen to rock/metal that doesn't require major lows, but I will have the odd bit of hip hop or dubstep too so I will maybe go for a LC2i jobbie and see out it goes with a 4 channel amp before going all mad and adding a sub.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.