Knock When Moving Off

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Over the last few days my car has developed a knock when moving off from stationary. It doesn't happen every time, and is just a single knock. It's coming from the front. I don't believe it to be the steering as its when the car is straight, and jiggling the wheel doesn't induce it.

Any ideas as to what it may be?!

pablo

RMS Moderator
did you reverse into the place you are driving off from? maybe brake pads a little loose but would be a clack sound rather than a knock.

Meeky

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa VXR
I had similar noise with mine but happened when i was turning also. Turned out to be the anti-roll bar snapped. Doubt it would be this?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
did you reverse into the place you are driving off from? maybe brake pads a little loose but would be a clack sound rather than a knock.

It's at lights/junctions etc, not just from parked.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nope. Would those be the symptoms?

@Ian A is that this kit you offered me?!

Yeah. I never had a knock but did mine because it was fairly common for others to have the problem. Probably why Ian is selling his as I had it done already.

wes

RMS Regular
Not sure if this applies to yours but maybe dogmount for gearbox, engine mount,

Duke

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf Gt
I have a slight noise from taking off in a 08 gt golf but I have 107k on it. Airforce 1 serviced it the other week so I think that it's part n parcel

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Could be brakes sticking on as Pablo says. My C4 does it if ive sat on the brakes at lights. It releases with a little clunk.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
It's a wee gremlin hiding inside the wheel arch liner with a hammer.

I could give you numerous things it "could" be, but you can't diagnose a knock without actually hearing it. You'll just get the "I fitted....... And it cured mine" on a forum.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Has the sub-frame bolts and spacers been done?

Seen the thread title and thought "I wonder if its a MK5 Golf" :p - yeh I would put money on it being your subframe hitting off the body, spacer and bolt kit works a treat.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Ring Dave at sere on boucher rd, and mention the subframe knock fix he will know the part numbers. It's just an spacer from audi and a slightly different stretch bolt. It's an easy job to do yourself.
If he can't remember the P/Ns or you need them to get it elsewhere let me know, I have them written on the board in the garage

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I got them off the Mk5 forum, cheers. Philips had never heard of it but got me prices anyway. The spacer is a Sharan part. Is it common on the Mk2 Leon too then I assume?

Saw that video too, looks wee buns! I'm just lacking the torque wrench.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
VW bought the spacer rights from ECS tuning so you can actually get them from VW dealerships & TPS

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
When I was reading up on how to do mine there was stories of the bolts snapping. Possibly because someone has previously cranked them up beyond spec to cover up the knock? Anyway just took my time and made sure I was careful with them just in case... All was fine and done in about 10 minutes BTW :grinning:

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
I found this useful

Attachments

• subframe.png
    subframe.png
    461 KB · Views: 642

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
More noises.

A fairly loud continuous knock that gets louder/faster the faster you go- slows right down when moving slowly. It pretty much disappears under heavy braking and accelerating, and is loudest when you lift your fit off the accelerator.

I should add that the car is booked in next week, so I'm not after an Internet diagnose as I appreciate it could be anything. Knowing nothing about mechanical bits, I'm just curious as to what it may be.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not yet, just arrived today, I still have "that" knock, but this is different and definitely not connected.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Probably no use but I had a knocking noise on my mkv golf - 1.6 fsi. Grew more continuous with speed and loudest when lifting off throttle. Turned out one of the wheel bolt holes had ovaled due to some over zealous windy gun action by someone other than me.
It only appeared when I swapped rear wheels to front and the wheel came under more load.
I ended up sourcing new wheels and problem went away.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.