Lanes/Targa Rallies

jasy d

RMS Regular
Drives
gsi carlton/s14a
Just got the form filled out will be in the post on Monday can't wait for this tigra has hardly moved a wheel from April many doing this?

John_MK5

RMS Regular
And another 2 more to arrive.....

11659227_1045231455494569_8875534128305419153_n.jpg

DavyC

RMS Regular
These events are definately getting dearer, did QUB not used to be one of the cheapest? at around £60-65 entry?
I dont know enough about all the costs invloved in running a targa, so cant judge/gripe too much, but I'd hope that with the noticeable increase in popularity and high entry numbers, then club's could afford to keep fees low while earning a fair amount?... I'm trying to set a few quid aside for later on in the year, but at the minute, 3 rallies in November aint happening... Some may point out that I'd save money if I crashed less :oops: but in all honesty those couple of incidents cost more in spare time than money.

Looking forward to getting out again and seeing what the tests will be like... and also seeing if this wee mod has made any difference! :imp: ...
WP_20150627_12_58_14_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

OZ10

RMS Regular
Agreed, I just can't see how they can justify putting up prices. As far as I know food was always provided. Maybe some landowners request paid, I don't know but when we run our multivenues sites are generally free and so we can keep the costs down. If I'm right also these clubs are non profit so I don't see who it benefits by raising prices. As I said before maybe there's prices we don't know of.

It is for this reason I cannot justify doing the summer lanes or any lanes for that matter. £110 before fuel along with the tyres that will be ran down means I'll have to be a spectator again this year

hungryauld

RMS Member
Drives
V8 Triumph 2000,
Surely it is obvious clubs can not run at a loss.The option is to run more cars but then that is to the detriment of the event, restricting the number of actual test sites as well as the total test mileage! My intention is to use 12 different test sites most but not all twice. To my mind even at £80.00 this is better value than 6 tests 3 or 4 times. The rescue unit is not free and for that alone should be worth the extra. I am all for keeping things as good value as possible, but you still get what you pay for!

John_MK5

RMS Regular
to be fair i don't think its that far out of the way. There up about £10 from i started doing them. £100 entry, £50 fuel for the day and £50 for two budget rear tyres/remoulds.

DavyC

RMS Regular
A 4.7 you dirty bollox. Where did you get that? The kia one?@DavyC ???
Hehe!.. Yip, it's a 4.625 from a UK Sportage (Think the US ones were 4.78). Stumbled upon it at Damien Priors, a breakers up the back of Belfast. I dont know if it'll help or not. It feels like there's a bit more lift now, but I could find myself having to reach for second briefly then back into 1st for a lot of manouvres now... we'll soon see. I hope I've it put back together alright... If you find the two bits lying in the middle of a test somewhere then you're welcome to them.(y)

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
4.6 odds sounds wild low. What does a standard MX-5 run ?
Spent many happy hours in Prior's yard in my youth stripping bits off cars three high in driving snow..:confounded:
Haven't been there in years although I'm sure it's full of ex DLA Kia Sportage's...;)

Last edited:

John_MK5

RMS Regular
I was tempted to get a 4.7 as i found my car just didnt have the legs for 2nd when i needed it on hills or long pulls. Ive watched a few videos back and it just dies a death when going for 2nd.

DavyC

RMS Regular
@FM155 There's a few different ratios in MX5's, depending on model but ours was a 4.1. And yeah, cars stacked two high and the wee Kia was buried right at the back fence. I counted at least 28 cars to be shifted to get it trailed out, tho he said he had been meaning to get a lot of old stock cleared out of that corner anyway.

@John_MK5 I know what you mean. Dungannon had a new test this year which was class, but it started on a steep slope, and was a bit of a hill climb the rest of the way up to the finish. It was sore on the clutch taking off, and going for second was like a punch in the guts for the wee car... Still a super test tho.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I use 15" rims and lower profile tyres to drop the range slightly on the zr as I need to save the road wheels for the son to use the car when he needs it for work.
4.1 to 4.6 or 7 isn't that big a difference I guess.
I'm keeping an eye on MX5's and the tweeks as I'd like to go RWD and get away from using the son's daily transport.

That startline drag up the hill in dungannon was brutal, excellent test though..

KevM

RMS Regular
Was it worse that the forest 200 meter hill-climb in last years QUB? I didnt really get that one.... lol

DavyC

RMS Regular
..lol, I quite liked that one. At least it was on gravel which narrows the playing field a little and is easier on the drive train.... I'll not forget the 1st loop on that test, downhill... with a certain red MX up our h@le!

KevM

RMS Regular
That was an awesome stage Davy! I tried it 2nd time round with behind the blue MX5 in John's fleet picture up there and my day ended 5 seconds after passing him! :worried: lol

jasy d

RMS Regular
Drives
gsi carlton/s14a
Testing the water Vauxhall tigra forsale ideal lanes car fully equipped 1.4 16v hydraulic handbrake motd until April next year pm or txt me for more details please thanks 07592343355

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The mighty saxo was defeated by the MOT man tonight! Back axle bearings gone. Was a matter of time before it needed replaced. Hopefully I can source a new one and fit before running as opening car on the summer lanes

peespeed

RMS Regular
I see on bookface that a full entry has been received and any further entries will go on a reserve list. Confirmation and final instructions to go out in the next day or two

John_MK5

RMS Regular
..lol, I quite liked that one. At least it was on gravel which narrows the playing field a little and is easier on the drive train.... I'll not forget the 1st loop on that test, downhill... with a certain red MX up our h@le!

that was a very mixed day for me. we were leading until a leaky crank shaft oil seal started slipping the clutch. was some day for the revving though. we caught boys through the forest a few times. i put the headlights out of the mx5 that day pushing a boy up the hill cos he wouldnt go hard enough lol