The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

pablo

RMS Moderator
so could be the rack, the lower, or upper joint.

lower joint is most common as its rubber and not too dear (40 quid ish). upper joint is over 100 quid but a proper UJ so less likely to go.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Guys,

My car sometimes feels like the front wheels aren't attached or have a mind of their own - particularly going over bumps or potholes its as if they wants to go all different directions.

Also sometimes get a clunk when going over bumps.

Car also pulls to the left even after 2 alignments with Kerrs :worried:

Google suggests steering rack is lose or knackered - anyone else experiences the same in an E46 or any other car and can suggest something? Its going to the mechanic sometime (hopefully this week) but I like to have an idea myself even if I wont be fixing it personally.
Did they not ask or check why you were coming back for another alignment? Assume it was soonish after the last one? Place I use always asks why I want alignment and checks over all bushes etc for play even if I say its only because I fitted a new track rod end etc

moorsojr

RMS Regular
Drives
320D M Sport
mine has started doing the Hot start thing, starts first thing in the morning or after being left for long enough to be cold but wont start when its warm, according to much reading of the internet its likely to be caused by a faulty relay for the fuel pump under the passenger seat, or a leaky injector(s). Have ordered a new relay so hopefully that will sort the issue...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Thankfully mine has been 100%. MOT'd on Friday there and have been driving away at it with no issues at all. Hardly uses any oil either which is a bit unusual for them.

Wonder scud on myself there now lol

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Thankfully mine has been 100%. MOT'd on Friday there and have been driving away at it with no issues at all. Hardly uses any oil either which is a bit unusual for them.

Wonder scud on myself there now lol

Thanks for rubbing that in lol

Can you not lock yourself from this thread :p

ewok

RMS Regular
I snapped the door handle off mine ffs now i need new inner and outer door handle also know anyone cheap for fixing replacement keys

ewok

RMS Regular
i was ajusting the grub screw and snap then few days later i was pulling on handle to open her and it broke lol

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
yeah key is bucked and need new door handle too [got one from Davey railway autos]

I was going to get mine fixed by a guy on eBay ... Dunno how good it will be but when I get my finger dislodged and do it I will report back (y)

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Guys need a big favour... Anyone have an e46 with Bluetooth? Need to borrow a pairing button for 30 seconds to pair my phone to my car. Only need to set it up the once and the buttons and trays are a fortune lol...

Anyone help at all?

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Right guys wondering if anyone has any experience of this problem. I have the problem as many have described of a vagueness in the steering. Have had this for some time. In the last 6 months the car has had all new shocks and top mounts. New wishbones. New steering arms. Countless alignments. But nothing has ever corrected the problem. I'm starting to worry that it is new rack time but am worried that I'll put a rack in and it make no difference lol any advice...?

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Guys need a big favour... Anyone have an e46 with Bluetooth? Need to borrow a pairing button for 30 seconds to pair my phone to my car. Only need to set it up the once and the buttons and trays are a fortune lol...

Anyone help at all?

If it doesn't have a pairing button then I don't think it will be equipped?
If your car is Bluetooth equipped it will have a 4 digit code on the comms box (in the boot) which you'll need...

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
If it doesn't have a pairing button then I don't think it will be equipped?
If your car is Bluetooth equipped it will have a 4 digit code on the comms box (in the boot) which you'll need...

No it Def has Bluetooth as module etc is there. The previous owner stupidly removed centre console that included the link button.

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
guys need a dsc pressure sensor, but seems to be a delaer only part and £100+

Anyone recommed any breakers i could try to get one...?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Used ones on eBay for about £30

I had to replace one and ended up just getting it from Bavarian in the end.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
@Coog @pablo @chapletown @Gavlar

All sorted it seems and I am £250 lighter - £105 was for the service I think though.

11738073_983396535027053_3257062746714414213_n.jpg

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
A new wishbone arm is the guts of £100 so doesn't sound too bad.

Talk of needing (at some point in the future) a new centre driveshaft as it thuds when taking off and sometimes changing gear...

Also the handbrake needs a lot of work as its squealing as I drive and apparently rotten - quoted 2 hrs labour each side plus parts - reasonable? Apparently they should be able to get it off without disturbing the bearing on the rears but If they cant its big dolla $$ (n)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The handbrake is dead easy on them. Wheel off, caliper off and disc off and you're in. Shouldn't need to do anything with the bearing. I've had mine apart to clean them up.