Halfords - alpine cde-173bt

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
@Cartunes surely it's just a case of swapping the ign and +ve on the alpine loom if the ISO plugs fit no? Used to do this all the time...

No mate - as I said before (ten thousand plus head unit fits to my name and I've designed many of the ISO cables for various manufacturers) - there are two extra connections in the VW OEM unit that may damage the aftermarket head unit - it's nothing to do with the "red/yellow" swap as you quite rightly have to do on some cars. The aftermarket unit might not have anything connected internally to these terminals, but those that do can BURN baby BURN! :grinning:

Last edited:

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Ah right, wasn't doubting you, just not something I was familiar with! Been a long ass time from I was fitting radios!

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I have one reserved till tomorrow, if anyone needs it let me know, circumstances changed ill not be getting it

@hannakournikova @iainbig
yup l take it. if you could details I would appreciate it

No mate - as I said before (ten thousand plus head unit fits to my name and I've designed many of the ISO cables for various manufacturers) - there are two extra connections in the VW OEM unit that may damage the aftermarket head unit - it's nothing to do with the "red/yellow" swap as you quite rightly have to do on some cars. The aftermarket unit might not have anything connected internally to these terminals, but those that do can BURN baby BURN! :grinning:

Del, could you link me to the right connector required for a B5.5 Passat?

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
@azzymo are those three connections in the corsa loom. I wouldve thought you'd need corsa to iso adapter then use the alpine harness included

Power issues are probably to do with which live (red or yellow) is plugged in

Yes that's the corsa loom. I bought this from ebay...

corsa.jpg

but seeing the loom is a 3 block or whatever then its not connecting to the widest part of the corsa loom. I've tried switching around the red and yellow as I would've done last time I fitted an aftermarket into a Vauxhall. Still no joy. Fella in Halfords was none the wiser and pointed me towards an auto electrician near Toys R Us in Newtownabbey.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Tried fitting mine yesterday to sisters Corsa but couldn't get it to power up. Took it back down to Halfords to see if they knew what fittings I'd need. They said they weren't sure and hadn't seen this issue before. Seems I need a 36 pin adaptor instead of the one supplied. I even bought a Vauxhall iso loom from ebay and that doesn't work either!

View attachment 91469

@azzymo - you might have a blown fuse - the top row of terminals was only used for display if I remember correctly.

The ISO harness you have got will connect to the smaller power and speaker block - if the ISO adaptor is made for Vauxhall/Opel, then there is no need to swap the Red/ Yellow wires.

Another thing to watch out for is that a terminal in the ISO adaptor might have been pushed out slightly, this can be hard to spot.....

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
@azzymo - you might have a blown fuse - the top row of terminals was only used for display if I remember correctly.

The ISO harness you have got will connect to the smaller power and speaker block - if the ISO adaptor is made for Vauxhall/Opel, then there is no need to swap the Red/ Yellow wires.

Another thing to watch out for is that a terminal in the ISO adaptor might have been pushed out slightly, this can be hard to spot.....

Cheers for the reply! Yes, I thought about the fuse so tried a spare headunit I had and it didn't power up either which made me think I needed to connect to the top row somehow.

I connected the Alpine connectors straight onto the corsa loom. Do I need to connect the alpine connectors to the adaptor then to the corsa loom? I mean use all 3, is this where I'm going wrong? Can't believe I didn't try that tbh!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Cheers for the reply! Yes, I thought about the fuse so tried a spare headunit I had and it didn't power up either which made me think I needed to connect to the top row somehow.

I connected the Alpine connectors straight onto the corsa loom. Do I need to connect the alpine connectors to the adaptor then to the corsa loom? I mean use all 3, is this where I'm going wrong? Can't believe I didn't try that tbh!

It won't make a difference with powering up the unit - the ignition and permanent lives are transposed - basically, if the Corsa loom is straight into the alpine connector, then with ignition on, it should power up. The 2nd ign position brings the radio on, not the first!

I'm still thinking blown fuse or backed-out terminal ;)

Chris0

RMS Regular
Anyone got the Bluetooth handsfree working mine calls and can hear the other person just they can't hear me even with the speak plugged in

Need to find a universal pocket for the dash to tidy mine up

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Mine worked immediately. Just plugged the mic into the back of the HU and it started working.

Still convinced my Bluetooth connection drops randomly though. Phone never does it with a bluetooth speaker in the house.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Anyone got the Bluetooth handsfree working mine calls and can hear the other person just they can't hear me even with the speak plugged in

Need to find a universal pocket for the dash to tidy mine up

You have it in the lower socket I assume. Move it to the position above. Works perfectly.

Great head unit that hasn't faultered at all for me :grinning:

Chris0

RMS Regular
Cheers lads I'll swap it over later, just need to find somewhere hidden to place it now

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

Chris, it's either the blue or the orange that needs to be snipped and insulated - if you plug the harness into the car, but not the head unit - you will see on the car side, a thick Red/White - cut and insulate the wire on the radio side of the connector - i.e. the wire that this red/white connects to. There may be another red/White on a corner location on the car plug - this is the Permanent Live! Do not cut this one as you will have no lights, no sounds and no Bananarama & Fun Boy 3 on your way to work. If you are dead set against spending £2.59 to stop you potentially hashing the car up, don't forget to also switch the red and yellow bullets on the Alpine loom.

Don't forget your VW Signal Splitter or your radio will suffer. most people wrongly call this the aerial amplifier, but the amplifier is in the antenna - the silver tube merely stops the 12v shooting in the back side of the new head unit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phantomei...-NEW-SEALED-/252035388212?hash=item3aae7ad334

I'm spent - bedtime!

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Chris, it's either the blue or the orange that needs to be snipped and insulated - if you plug the harness into the car, but not the head unit - you will see on the car side, a thick Red/White - cut and insulate the wire on the radio side of the connector - i.e. the wire that this red/white connects to. There may be another red/White on a corner location on the car plug - this is the Permanent Live! Do not cut this one as you will have no lights, no sounds and no Bananarama & Fun Boy 3 on your way to work. If you are dead set against spending £2.59 to stop you potentially hashing the car up, don't forget to also switch the red and yellow bullets on the Alpine loom.

Don't forget your VW Signal Splitter or your radio will suffer. most people wrongly call this the aerial amplifier, but the amplifier is in the antenna - the silver tube merely stops the 12v shooting in the back side of the new head unit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phantomei...-NEW-SEALED-/252035388212?hash=item3aae7ad334

I'm spent - bedtime!
I've already bought the harness you linked earlier. Just means I will have vw to ebay connector harness to alpine harness ? :/

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I've already bought the harness you linked earlier. Just means I will have vw to ebay connector harness to alpine harness ? :/

yip yip - long-winded, but safest! Just check that no terminals pop out when you connect it all up and test before pushing the plugs down the left/rear hole. bob's yer preverbial..... NOW, can I get off to bed please?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU .............. Why, look, YES it does!

View attachment 91152
had one of them delivered today and it's still the wrong fecking harness for my system as the red plug on mine will not fit in that harness. Giving up and keeping the standard system in.

So if anyone wants a one of these alpines they're more than welcome to mine for what I paid for it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
If anyone happened to get one for a Mk4 Golf, Bora, B5.5 Passat with steering wheel controls I have the adapter to get them working :grinning:.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.