smoke damage inside of car - insurance write off?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

st6phen

RMS Regular
Drives
anything MOT'd
Alright folks a quick question. Oul fellas car had serious smoke bellowing from behind dash. Electrical fault of some sort. All dash lights went before the smoke started. Now while no physical damage to appearance of dash externally, inside of car is completely tarnished with smoke. Car only worth about 4 grand. Is smoke damage enough to be classed as a write off?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Sure it will clean? I've done a few cars that had heavy smoke damage and it wasn't that hard a job. Particularly if no plastic is deformed etc

st6phen

RMS Regular
OP
st6phen
Drives
anything MOT'd
Probably would. The problem is what's lurking behind the dash. Had a quick look at both sides under footwell and seems to be melted wires all over the shop. Looks like it's going to be anything but a cheap fix. From what I can take from policy electrical fault not covered unless visible damage.

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
Yes it will most likely be written off, I've yet to see an insurance company try and repair a smoke or flood damaged car.

st6phen

RMS Regular
OP
st6phen
Drives
anything MOT'd
Thanks folks will get them out to have a look.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Is/was it French?

Yea they'll very likely not even try to repair it due to the labour costs involved with this sort of thing with approved repairers

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The wiring repairs alone could exceed £4k.

By the time they buy a new OEM loom and labour to replace...cost will be insane the way insurance price things.

better to cut your losses than repair for it to go on fire again later.

KevM

RMS Regular
Will insurance even cover that? If the car didnt burn and the damage wasn't accidental, im pretty sure they'll try and wash their hands

st6phen

RMS Regular
OP
st6phen
Drives
anything MOT'd
Will insurance even cover that? If the car didnt burn and the damage wasn't accidental, im pretty sure they'll try and wash their hands
Not sure what you mean? we hardly shorted the electrical system intentionally! lol! spoke to the insurance company - sending an assessor out. if he feels that there is damage done to car that is excessive and could not be economically repaired they will sort us out. interestingly I asked the insurers about fires - i.e. their wording - he wasn't really wanting to take in depth, but all he said was around 80%-90% of their claims and write offs due to fire damage are due to electrical or engine faults... actual arson or criminal damage is minimal. Will keep updated as to how we get on, as it is a bit of a grey area - oul fella has been driving over 45 years and never made a claim, so it not as if he's into the claim culture, but if they'll cover it. Dandy

KevM

RMS Regular
Not sure what you mean? we hardly shorted the electrical system intentionally! lol!

Here, don't shoot the messenger!!

Car Insurance is in place to cover financial loss in the event of an 'accident' or 'theft'.

Most policies will not cover loss due to Mechanical or Electrical failure, Manufacturing fault, Poor Maintenance or Wear & Tear. Some may, so he may be lucky. Google is riddled with similar stories of people who weren't so fortunate when it came to the crunch!

You say the electrical system wasn't shorted intentionally, it wasn't shorted as a result of a Road Traffic Accident either, unless someone was working on that area of the car recently. If that's the case, they are liable for the damage, not your Insurer. Simples! :grinning:

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
It is a bit of a weird area, it's a fault with the car at the end of the day that caused to smoke/fire and therefore damage, so instinct would tell me that it's nothing to do with insurance, but I have seen cars written off Cat D for smoke damage before, so at least some insurers much cover it. I wonder would they cover my SMG if it goes pop? lol

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Be awful if it caught fire due to faulty wiring & burnt out at a safe distance from the house... no fixing it then ;-)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Car Insurance is in place to cover financial loss in the event of an 'accident' or 'theft'.

Most are third party, fire or theft, or you can add fully comprehensive cover..

as to the cause of fire whether it matters for a claim...who knows ?

What I find more baffling is insurance replacing engines for drivers dumb enough to deliberately drive into a flood. That doesnt fall into any category listed !

KevM

RMS Regular
drive into a car in front, drive into a wall, drive into a flood. all mid-judgements on the drivers behalf, therefore accidental!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
drive into a car in front, drive into a wall, drive into a flood. all mid-judgements on the drivers behalf, therefore accidental!

Generally speaking even the dumbest drivers dont deliberately drive into the other cars or walls so there is an accidental element to those. They actively chose to drive into a flood after seeing the water and making the decision.

Really, those dumb enough to do that the insurers should report them to the police to have their driving re-assessed ( as indeed should those who drive into other cars or walls )

st6phen

RMS Regular
OP
st6phen
Drives
anything MOT'd

Most policies will not cover loss due to Mechanical or Electrical failure, Manufacturing fault, Poor Maintenance or Wear & Tear. Some may, so he may be lucky. Google is riddled with similar stories of people who weren't so fortunate when it came to the crunch!

You say the electrical system wasn't shorted intentionally, it wasn't shorted as a result of a Road Traffic Accident either, unless someone was working on that area of the car recently. If that's the case, they are liable for the damage, not your Insurer. Simples! :grinning:
I was only having a joke mate. No worries! Yeah the insurance game is full of hoops, so we'll see what the assessor says. If we have to fix it ourselves so be it. Not expecting that it'll be covered but worth a go.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
What I find more baffling is insurance replacing engines for drivers dumb enough to deliberately drive into a flood. That doesnt fall into any category listed !

Didn't replace my engine wrote the car off with not a mark on it & paid full book price (apparently). I didn't drive in deliberately though, I just couldn't get stopped in time.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.