Impact driver shopping, what sort of torque should i be looking?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
You not more in the line of looking for an impact wrench gun, rather than a driver? The link isn't the type of beastie that works on tight nuts, more for battering in a load of screws. On the other hand if it's a load of screws you're needing battering, work away.

Good point well put, just noticing the constant torque is only 120nm. It's what I got when I typed it into the search on the site.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Anything I read about on US forums, it seems Milwaukee impacts leaves the rest for dust. Have a look at YouTube for M18 FUEL 1/2" impact.

Reactions: dub

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Those Milwaukee guns are great value.

Euro Car Parts do good deals on them from time to time. At least they do if you've an account with them.

@mthompo or @Tufty might be worth a shout as they work there.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I've had the Milwaukee now for a couple of years,I've never seen it beat yet,the only problem I've had is one of the battery's failed last month......which reminds me id need to order one
Think the guns can be got for £300-400 now

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Unfortunately that kind of price is out of my league. Anything more around the £100 mark?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
There's a member on here who sells ones at £80-90 iirc,I can't remember his username though

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I'd stay with the Milwaukee but spend the extra £100 or so on the larger one
610 nm of torque compared to the one you have shown which only has 240 max
4/5ah battery's compared to 2.0
I've had sealeys and more guns with around the same torque,they were rubbish!!

Not much out there that will beat the Milwaukee gun.....love mine (y)

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I'd stay with the Milwaukee but spend the extra £100 or so on the larger one
610 nm of torque compared to the one you have shown which only has 240 max
4/5ah battery's compared to 2.0
I've had sealeys and more guns with around the same torque,they were rubbish!!

Not much out there that will beat the Milwaukee gun.....love mine (y)

Where is the best place to buy them?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I bought mine on eBay,but a quick look it seems there gone up in price,nearly £400 with 2 battery's :eek:
Mine was £325
You could get it for around £320 with one battery though?

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Very tempted to bite the bullet and go for the big milwaukee, nothing worse than a weak battery impact gun

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
I got an aule Boschmann hunk off eBay quite a while ago and it has served me well.....it is never goign to break beastly seized stuff but as mentioned before....i use a breaker bar to do the initial snap and then power it with the gun.

Batteries are now starting to fade and replacing them is more expensive than the gun itself.....so I am actually looking at a little mains jobbie that seems to pack a punch and wont be scrapped by poor batteries.

Machine Mart

Thoughts?

450Nm torque so its not a beast but would probably suffice for the hobby tinkerer.....not a fortune either.

J

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I got an aule Boschmann hunk off eBay quite a while ago and it has served me well.....it is never goign to break beastly seized stuff but as mentioned before....i use a breaker bar to do the initial snap and then power it with the gun.

Batteries are now starting to fade and replacing them is more expensive than the gun itself.....so I am actually looking at a little mains jobbie that seems to pack a punch and wont be scrapped by poor batteries.

Machine Mart

Thoughts?

450Nm torque so its not a beast but would probably suffice for the hobby tinkerer.....not a fortune either.

J

That Clarke another machine but rebranded. I actually have the same one but it's labelled 'Timbertech' and came from German Amazon for about £40 delivered. Just needed to switch the plug and it was good to go. I've found it to be very good so far. For the money it's very good value.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
We generally don't get involved in the cheap electric ones but plenty of battery, we do the milwaukee or the metabo, Generally prefer the metabo as they make most of milwaukee's anyway, and have a much better warranty e.g. 3 years on the batteries. They come 200, 400 or 600 torque and 3.1, 4 or 5.2 ah batteries.

@Laundrymike may be able to post a quick review as he bought a 400 one with 3.1 batteries recently.

This is a pic of the 600 which is a beast.

vy5x1x.jpg

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
That Clarke another machine but rebranded. I actually have the same one but it's labelled 'Timbertech' and came from German Amazon for about £40 delivered. Just needed to switch the plug and it was good to go. I've found it to be very good so far. For the money it's very good value.

Hmm, interesting Coog......cheers for the update......**off to foreign Amazons**

:grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's only been a couple of nuts it hasn't been able to break and one of those also managed to snap my breaker bar. I've removed subframe bolts, taken gearbox and engine out, swapped a couple of differentials and done a ton of wheels with it and it's been absolutely spot on. It's pretty brutish but for all it cost I can't complain. I've a Sealey battery one there that needs a new battery and while it's probably a bit more useful if out at the track or away from the workshop, it hasn't the same sort of grunt the Amazon cheapy has.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I believe battery world in Belfast can replace the batteries in power tools, might be worth a go

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
At the money some of you are quoting for cordless impact guns, do you not think it would better spent on a compressor and decent airgun. Unless of course you are buying it for the portability?

I have a wee 50litre 2.5hp compressor (£300), Chicago Pneumatic Gun (£75 I think) and it hasn't ever been beat.
It did struggle initially but that was due to the hose (bigger hose and fittings £30)and regulator (£30) being too small to provide the airflow.

So all in £435, batteries wont need replacing and it can also be used for spraying, pumping tyres, ive even used a wee die grinder on it (all be it seriously stresses the compressor).

Just another option for you guys considering an impact gun.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.