Private car sale advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I'd mighty annoyed also! Its probably something fairly simple like an alternator or a relay but it's the principle of him saying and then taking back I would be annoyed at

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Sounds like a case of dealer x got sporty car and chancer y who worked for them bought it to make a quick buck. a car that really should have went to trade sale or auction because of a nasty lingering problem

KevM

RMS Regular
Alternator or earth leak? They are fairly robust and reliable so I honestly wouldn't panic too much until you find out otherwise (famous last words!!) :grinning:

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
Lol, it's not defamation when it actually happened.

Find out what's wrong with it first, could be simple. After that if it's found to be serious you can speak to a solicitor. You don't have many rights but you still have some. Misrepresentation etc.

He sounds a **** though, he obviously knew what was wrong. My advice is to take him for a beer to talk it over. Seduce him, ride him, send the pictures to his wife.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Alternators give bother on these but aren't too dear. Sounds like the battery isn't charging then just running flat and car stops.

Where are you?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I love how people think naming and shaming is illegal and/or a matter for the courts. If it was, the papers would;t have much to talk about. So long as you have proof, you can tell whoever you want what happened. Now download a phone recording app and call him again and you're golden :laughing:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Possible a cheap trade in that he has shifted on himself outside of work

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Problem.is a fresh battery would be OK on a short test drive.

I'll never forget the test drive in the MX5, freezing cold and wet with steamed windows, battery terminal loose so kept cutting out, two LED torches out the window try and see where we were going on the backroads as the battery was too guff to power the lights, epic craic.

but anyway back to topic

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Yeah , I suppose when he promised you that it was the battery you should have told him to get a new one before you bought it. Though you would probably be in the same position now either way if the battery was a quick enough fix to get you just down the road.

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
@wes came down and had a look - thanks man! - looks like it could do with a new alternator.

@pablo in Carrickfergus mate - Wes said you owned one before, mind if I shoot you a PM re: where best to find an alternator?

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Try alternatorman on ebay. Sends you one out and you return the old once you have fitted.

There is also Frazers in lisburn if you want something local.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Any of the motor factors will get you an alternator for one of these, just make sure you know the output of it I remember the last one I put on a 996 had 3 different types according to them.

pablo

RMS Moderator
The regulators give bother in the alternator only 30 quid for a Bosch one off eBay. Not sure how you tell though without removing it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.