Will lowering on coilovers affect my insurance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

6n2guy

Drives
vw polo 6n2
Hey guys,

I just got my first car and want to lower it will it affect my insurance and does it matter how low I go I wanted to go fairly low maybe 70-80mm cheers.

6n2guy

OP
Drives
vw polo 6n2
Ok thanks for the help does it matter how much you lower the car?

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
some companies will have a different premium hike for coilovers when compared to lowering springs

6n2guy

OP
Drives
vw polo 6n2
Ok will it cost a lot more I've herd some insurers might not even charge more

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
After pricing around coilovers for mine it was working out to dear.

Got a set of H&R 40mm springs and they were only £50 to add to the policy. Also don't break your back driving.

As Andy said, insure everything (y)

colin84

RMS Regular
When I was with AXA I phoned to ask about coilovers, and they threatened to cancel my insurance

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Declare all your mods mate, I know it might bump the price up but if you don't declare them you will end up without insurance if something happens as they will cancel your policy for failing to declare them or you will end up getting prosecuted for no insurance if you get stopped by the police and they check out your policy.

If it's any help I've had a few modded cars (S3 and my current BMW) both with Adrian Flux. They are reasonable and didn't charge any extra when I lowered my S3 on springs. You could also speak to @Tony@Greenlight

AXA wouldn't touch my S3 because it was remapped.

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
If you're with Hughes or Axa they won't even entertain the idea.

Any undeclared mods and you're sitting with more problems than swapping driver details at the event of any accident.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
what companies deal with lowered cars. been gettin rejected last 2 hours by diff companies because of various issues including import and lowering

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
what companies deal with lowered cars. been gettin rejected last 2 hours by diff companies because of various issues including import and lowering

Have you tried Admiral, insured me on the DC5 at 21 with all mods declared including coilovers etc for around £600

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I had my lowered S3 and have my current lowered BMW with Adrian flux without any issues, didn't increase my premium either. Just make sure it's noted on the paperwork as I had to phone and remind them when they sent out my paperwork as they had missed it off.

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Was your S3 remapped? What did that affect the premium by?

Yeah it was, AXA wouldn't touch it but Adrian Flux weren't bothered at all, the insurance was provided by Markerstudy. The Adrian flux quote with mods was the same as the standard car quote I got from AXA before I purchased the car if that makes sense? The S3 with the Revo remap, lowering springs and milltek exhaust was in around the £600 mark which was only £50 more expensive that the 2007 2.0tdi Passat sport I had before it.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
All mods declared with A Flux here as well. And for a very reasonable price too. Im surprised the insurance companies that refuse to cover mods haven't been successfully sued for discrimination by now.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
This thread just reminded me to ring Admiral and add my pugsport exhaust onto my policy. She only asked if it was a manifold, I said no it's a stainless steel exhaust and she said no charge then added it to my policy! I was gobsmacked.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.